Home

Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden

This is a discussion on Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #97
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Clint Oldenburg Explains the Strength Rating For Linemen in Madden

Phobs and Husker;

I feel it's not the developers/designers you need to send your message, it's getting in the ear of marketing and the suits above.

Developers/designers have all the ideas in the world and then, along comes the marketing and managerial higher-ups that put a kibosh on those ideas and "glam" it up.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #98
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky60
I remember that thread. You even incorporated a couple of my franchise suggestions in that thread. That was another A+ thread that I wish EA/Tib would take very seriously.
Dewiel did take notice and commented on it, so hopefully that means it gets passed to the correct hands. Granted it still has to be implemented and we all know logically it would take YEARS to implement all the stuff in that thread.

This is why EA really needs to take the loss and hire another team strictly working in the shadows creating a new game from scratch.

The current game & engines will never be able to represent the sport as it should be.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #99
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Phobs and Husker;

I feel it's not the developers/designers you need to send your message, it's getting in the ear of marketing and the suits above.

Developers/designers have all the ideas in the world and then, along comes the marketing and managerial higher-ups that put a kibosh on those ideas and "glam" it up.
Very true, soooooo basically we will never get what we want and they will always be behind The Show and NBA 2k
Old 01-10-2013, 01:12 PM   #100
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Clint Oldenburg explains the "Strength" rating for offensivel linemen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
So all it does is determine maintenance of the block, not the movement or push that a lineman can get...?

So a 99 STR LT vs a 30 STR DB is not going to push the DB around, just make it hard for the DB to get away?

STR certainly seems to impact pancakes...the top 2 pancakers on my OL are my monster of a LG (97 STR), and my equally menacing RG (95 STR). It's not even close. LG has 19, RG has 21. So if it's not STR that's doing it, what is?

And, yeah, King, the game play with the LT/RT is so backwards. It's insane. They have a guy who played and knows OL on staff and it's STILL backwards. Go figure, huh.
Impact blocking?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #101
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Phobs and Husker;

I disagree. There is plenty of football in the game that does not work properly at all and has nothing to do with marketing. Player movement and interaction, synchronous animations, bad ball physics, terrible AI, line interaction, throwing animations, catching animations, botched wind meter, lineman not using their pass rush moves unless user controlled, lack of presentation, terrible commentary, challenge system, bugs galore in CCM, crappy passing system...

This is an endless list that is all on the implementation. You put too much of this on the marketing and "suits". While there are many things that may not get into the game due to those entities (which I agree with you on), the things that ARE in the game are implemented poorly. The developers are not good there. There may be a handful of guys who are, but collectively, this is a terribly performing team and there is no way around that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #102
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Hit the nail on the head. Madden is trying to be bigger than the game itself. I've always thought that sports game designers have it easy compared to other game designers that have to create MMO's, FPS, etc.. Because sports devs don't actually have to be creative, JUST CREATE EXACTLY WHAT WE SEE ON TV. We don't want gimmicks, we don't want cannons going off when a WR catches a deep ball, we don't want Madden rings, we don't want Heisman mode, etc.. Follow exactly what you see when you attend the games live and what we see on gameday, that's it.

As far as franchise goes, just follow exactly what happens during the season and off-season, I never understood why Madden makes up it's own rules such as having to have a set number of RB and FB, etc. This is a head scratcher.
This certainly sounds familiar! Big Fn Deal and I monopolized a thread many months ago discussing this very thing. Big and I really pushed for them to simply use the blueprint that is the REAL NFL, instead of inventing their own football. They do this with presentation too. Let's examine the games that blow our mind with realism currently. The Show, NBA 2k and FIFA. What do all three of those games have in common? They have not "invented" some sort of fake entity like "throw your receiver open" crap. they have simply replicated what we actually see in real life! NFL 2k5 was such an incredible game at that time because 2k simply replicated what was on television. Not what THEY thought it should be. This is where it comes down to talent. The Madden team is BY FAR the least talented group of developers in all of sports gaming. By a mile.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #103
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

I noticed the guy's blog has only one comment on it. Somehow I doubt we're going to see any more explanations like this if he thinks that nobody cares....
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #104
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I disagree. There is plenty of football in the game that does not work properly at all and has nothing to do with marketing. Player movement and interaction, synchronous animations, bad ball physics, terrible AI, line interaction, throwing animations, catching animations, botched wind meter, lineman not using their pass rush moves unless user controlled, lack of presentation, terrible commentary, challenge system, bugs galore in CCM, crappy passing system...

This is an endless list that is all on the implementation. You put too much of this on the marketing and "suits". While there are many things that may not get into the game due to those entities (which I agree with you on), the things that ARE in the game are implemented poorly. The developers are not good there. There may be a handful of guys who are, but collectively, this is a terribly performing team and there is no way around that.
I agree on the above, but I think we could go back to the programmers too. I think you have mentioned in the past the programmers don't seem to know how to program.

If you put programmers on that team, I agree. lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »