Home

Madden 14 Needs a Comprehensive Document On Ratings and Traits

This is a discussion on Madden 14 Needs a Comprehensive Document On Ratings and Traits within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 28
Madden 14 Needs a Comprehensive Document On Ratings and Traits

Since we can't make a "Hey Developers!" type thread, I will try to articulate this in a fashion that accomplishes that

Long overdue and needed desperately (especially since Madden is such a heavy franchise mode game (both online and off). Why is it so hard for them to write up a clear and concise, comprehensive document explaining all of the ratings and how they apply to the game?

Explain each and every rating and what it does/affects, whether it is used in played games or only by the sim engine, what it controls for each position, etc.

Can someone explain to me why this is something that is so hard to do? SMH.

Please include an online document in next year's game that does all of what I described above. It couldn't take more than a day's work to write it up. Even if it took a week. I know I'm known for being critical of the developers that work on this game, but in all honesty, how can you give me grief about it? The amount of things that show a complete lack of attention to detail and effort simply bring it on themselves.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Madden 14 Needs a Comprehensive Document On Ratings and Traits

Totally agree with this. Otherwise I would suggest that some of us go 'under the hood' and start doing it ourselves. I don't know if we would be able to uncover much through something like hXe but I am down for trying.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Since we can't make a "Hey Developers!" type thread, I will try to articulate this in a fashion that accomplishes that

Long overdue and needed desperately (especially since Madden is such a heavy franchise mode game (both online and off). Why is it so hard for them to write up a clear and concise, comprehensive document explaining all of the ratings and how they apply to the game?

Explain each and every rating and what it does/affects, whether it is used in played games or only by the sim engine, what it controls for each position, etc.

Can someone explain to me why this is something that is so hard to do? SMH.

Please include an online document in next year's game that does all of what I described above. It couldn't take more than a day's work to write it up. Even if it took a week. I know I'm known for being critical of the developers that work on this game, but in all honesty, how can you give me grief about it? The amount of things that show a complete lack of attention to detail and effort simply bring it on themselves.
I agree with you man. After reading Clint Oldenburg's explanation of the STR rating for linemen.......

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...en-madden.html

......it's obvious that the way we think the ratings work and how they actually work is quite different. I'm amazed that we still have no official ratings/ traits explanation as well. I know for a fact, that's a question that has been asked every year since next gen arrived and new ratings were introduced. I don't know what inspired them to release the STR rating explanation, but more explanations like that are needed ........ much more. I'm hoping EA is being genuine with this stuff and it's not just some early marketing stuff for Madden 14. You really can never tell the difference between the two with them sometimes.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

They did release a document for Madden 13 traits and schemes. It was an online PDF, 175 pages long. Far as ratings go, don't hold your breathe, they will never do it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
They did release a document for Madden 13 traits and schemes. It was an online PDF, 175 pages long. Far as ratings go, don't hold your breathe, they will never do it.
I saw the document. It didn't include any ratings and it only had a few of the traits. It also didn't tell you which ones apply to only simming games vs. playing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
All Star

splff3000's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
I saw the document. It didn't include any ratings and it only had a few of the traits. It also didn't tell you which ones apply to only simming games vs. playing.
Yeah, if your talking about the CC manual there were a lot of traits missing. If that's not the document you all are talking about then I'd be interested in seeing that if you have a link to it. There just isn't a lot of info written down about this stuff. There is a whole butt load of stuff that I just have to assume works a certain way without knowing how it actually works.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

I only regret that I have one like to give to this OP.

How can one effectively run a team if one is unable to evaluate talent?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Is there precedent for a simulation sports game developer disclosing information about every possible way every particular rating is used in one of their products (beyond the insightful blog by Clint Oldenburg, or the blog by Ian Cummings years ago about the new QB pass accuracy ratings)? To some extent, that's proprietary information and there is a strong argument to that end as to why Tiburon shouldn't disclose such information at the requested level of detail.

That said, I would certainly enjoy having more insight as to what drives the game to produce the results it does.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »