Home

defensive help please

This is a discussion on defensive help please within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Pro

WildFan22's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: defensive help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The 4-3 / 3-4 ought to be sufficient to stop outside runs, and putting more players with poor tackling ratings on the field doesn't seem like the correct approach to me (unless your team happens to have a stable of strong tackling CBs, which I doubt).

I'd look first as to what plays you are calling when you suspect the offense is going to run the football. Calling a Cover 1 or Cover 3, for example, will align your defense pre-snap in a single-high safety look. By the nature of the strong safety being closer to the line of scrimmage, this coverage has a natural strength in run defense. If you are routinely calling Cover 2, that eighth man isn't going to line up in the box by default, putting tremendous strain on your linebackers to make every play. This is fine if you have great LBs, but most teams can't match the 49ers to this end. If you are routinely calling 2 Man coverage, the perimeter players by default are going to turn and run with receivers, and as such they aren't even looking for a run play and that will hurt one's run support; combine that with two high safeties both stepping backwards by default and you get a play I don't like against the run very much.

I'd recommend taking a hard look at your playcalling before you start trying out more exotic "labbed" packages. The biggest thing I've learned about defense this year is that there has to be a known purpose to what one is calling, because on a single given play, a defense can't cover everything, and they must rather look and try to take away what it thinks the offense wants to do the most often and force the offense out of its comfort zone.
Absolutely try 3-4 and 4-3 to try and stop them the right way. My recommendation is for when you can't stop them with normal schemes. The User in our CCM uses Carolina and he runs a Power O to the outside. He has 2-3 free blockers no matter what you do.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: defensive help please

Try this....look at your play art presnap on defense and see if one or both of your DEs is crashing in. IMO, the slant-in angle that DE's take is way to sharp and makes it easy to seal the edges. On many plays I simply reblitz my DE to have him go straight upfield instead of crashing towards the OG. That little adjustment has made a difference in my run defense.

I run a 3-4 so I don't know if the DEs also do this in the 4-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 02-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Thanks for all the help guys! I played 2 games last night and am proud to say that I slowed down the run giving up 32 yards on 6 carries and 42 on 13 carries. I simply decided to start controlling the strong side safety in the cover 3 as well as spreading my d line and moving my safety toward the line a bit. This seemed to work well and I forced some obvious passing situations leading to some easy punts/ints.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #12
Pro

WildFan22's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by niles08
Thanks for all the help guys! I played 2 games last night and am proud to say that I slowed down the run giving up 32 yards on 6 carries and 42 on 13 carries. I simply decided to start controlling the strong side safety in the cover 3 as well as spreading my d line and moving my safety toward the line a bit. This seemed to work well and I forced some obvious passing situations leading to some easy punts/ints.
I'm going to trying the cover 3 the next time I play the Power O cheeser. I play him in two weeks and his last game he had 391 yards on 18 carries....
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
Rookie

MrPromax's Arena

OVR: 3
IMO I like to use a 4-3 to stop the run. I leave the line alone and I spread the LB. I also control the mike and bring my SS just inside the box. I also like to fake the where I am sending the heat from. I will bring down mike between any of the interior OL. I basically try to get to the edge before he does md hopefully the CPU fills the gaps.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Rookie

I usually play the ILB against strong running offenses, switch to SS if I need another defender in the box.

Outside runs are all about keeping contain. Can't over pursue and leave a big cutback lane, but you also can't get beat to the edge. You have to play smart as a LB against the run, you have to know your gap responsibility. You may think you're doing something right by shadowing the RB, but ultimately if you do that and he cuts back into your lane then you failed.

Playing smart LB can really help against the run, and also leave the safety back in coverage. If you still can't stop it then I suggest playing a SS in m2m and 2deep. You can still defend the pass in case of play action, and you get a fast defender right up to the LOS. I usually purposely over pursue with the SS since I'm a free defender with no assigned gap.

Play calling is a big part as well. I've found cover 2 sink works pretty well all around. I don't usually run blitz against speedy RBs because if I guess wrong or miss a tackle he can take it to the house. Try playing a more conservative, bend don't break defense. Most players stick to their favorite runs so by half time you should have a vague idea of what he likes to run out of certain formations. Run cheesers usually collapse once you get a handle on where they like to attack, all cheesers tend to suck once you take away their go to move.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Banned

This run D from the 3-4 works well online against other users and the runs you will encounter.(counters, stretches, power Os, blasts, ect)

3-4 Over, Sting Pinch Zone
1. Globally zone all LBs
2. QB CONTAIN LOLB
3. Man up FS on RB
4. Base Align 2 times
Master these four steps before moving on to steps 5 and 6.
5. Crash D line in
6. Reblitz RE

Play as the FS. If its a run, fly to the ball. The reason you man up on RB as it prevents a false step by animation, also it will help with defensive assist. You own the D gap on left side of screen. If it a pass, you own area of the field between hash marks. Press once in awhile for different looks. I realize when people read posts they might overlook some with 6 steps. You will like this run D, also it is a solid safe pass D as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by niles08
I have tried 4-3 and 3-4 and have spread the LB's out and just cant seem to get it. Is there a playbook that has the 3-3-5 and dollar formation to go with the 4-3 and 3-4?
If I want a 3-3-5 look, I use quarters D with the Linebackers right stick audible. It gives me a pretty good spread D look.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »