Home

Does player style/scheme actually make a difference?

This is a discussion on Does player style/scheme actually make a difference? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 13
Does player style/scheme actually make a difference?

I like to start franchises simply to GM them and ONLY have players on the team that fit the player style (IE for example i like and set my DE scheme to speed rushers, so i only sign speed rushers)

I know it can boost a players overness 2 or 3 points, but does it actually have en effect in simulation or on the field?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Does player style/scheme actually make a difference?

That is a good question, and I have no super great information to help aside from my use of Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney on the Colts.

I have tried a couple of things.
1. Without changing their position or scheme, I just simply moved them to DE on the depth Chart. (resulting in like a 72 OVR)
2. I edited their position to DE and changed their scheme to speed rusher (which resulted in a 99 OVR)

On the field I didn't notice much difference. Either way Mathis would get a ton of pressure on the football. (this highlights one of my other somewhat annoyance in this game is that the RE gets all the pressure and the LE rarely gets any regardless of who the LE is).

So it would seem to me, that it doesn't make a huge difference unless you really like to see the OVR rating jump up. That is just my opinion, I'm sure others have different views and maybe more info to back it up.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I think these labels are only important for helping players decide whether they're a good fit for your team or not when it's time to renew their contracts or bid in FA.

If you notice in the player resigning screen, in the top right you'll see "interest" and "fit" or something like that. That determines your chances of keeping that player.

So I think the labels only work in that way.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The labels aren't important on the field - that's solely dictated by ratings - but the player types and scheme settings help determine what each progression package costs for each player.

Matching your scheme setting with a player's desired scheme, for example, will allow one to progress his AWR rating faster than if schemes do not match.

The labels are also important in contract negotiations, which has already been mentioned.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 0

what if you match playing style with your playing style even if they don't fit your scheme.

i really want to create a 3-3-5 what would be a good player styles to choose.

I always choose a hybrid defense however you rarely get players to fit into the scheme so if i pick base or attacking 3-4 how much of effect it have on way players progress in my system.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »