Home

Overhaulin': Madden Financial System

This is a discussion on Overhaulin': Madden Financial System within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
Overhaulin': Madden Financial System

One thing this offseason is reminding me of is how far away madden contracts are in real life.

There is no ability to do what the idiot Cowboys are doing and converting bonuses into base salary to push cap problems into the future.

There are no D.Butler contracts 7-48mil, 28 guaranteed but with a team option after the third year.

No R.Cooper 5yr/30mil deal. No matter the production I got from my receivers (Pro Bowl, Awards) I could still sign them at less than 2mil per because their rating was below 90. I was always easily below the cap.

Hell you can't even renegotiate a contract with a player until the contract is in it's final year.

Sorry it's 7am in Korea and that's my morning rant. I hope they will make some changes but I'm not holding out much hope. It's quite sad because the GM piece used to at least be in the same ballpark and now we have this.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Overhaulin': Madden Financial System

I'll never forget doing my first franchise in Madden 12. Blaine Gabbert was a rookie and in the off-season they had signed Matt Schaub to some ridiculous contract. They then used their 1st overall pick on Ryan Tannehill (Imported draft). Weren't done yet though. The following off-season, Matt Ryan hit free agency and they signed him as well to a deal near 70-80 million. So their depth chart looked like this

Matt Ryan 92 Overall
Ryan Tannehill 87 Overall
Matt Schaub 86 Overall
Blaine Gabbert 80 Overall

Nearly 200 million dollars in QB's. All of which were locked up for 4-5 years.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Just started!

That's ridiculous
Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 6

Main thing I'm wishing was in is realistic player demands in terms of contracts. This is mainly an issue with online leagues where I personally get tired of micromanaging owners with rules for every single thing to make stuff halfway realistic.

Pretty much anytime an in-game player is in contract negotiations in an online league with a person, the person just offers a 7 year deal with 0 guaranteed money and can cut/trade said player with zero penalty. Also, with how the contracts are structured, offering a 7 year contract is really 100% beneficial until over halfway through the contract when the base salary starts getting a bit higher.

It is one of the reasons why there is very little action come offseason free agency except for the bad owners who low ball or missed the contract signing periods lol.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
Just started!

yes,I personally get tired of micromanaging owners with rules for every single thing to make stuff halfway realistic.thanks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
Rookie

You can SORT OF restructure a player's contract, but it's a bit weird as to how. It's more of a workaround than an intentional feature.

Basically, you cut the player and then immediately resign them as a free agent. That will terminate their old contract and then allow you to resign them to a long contract at the end of the season.

So, if you acquire a player with 2-3 years remaining on their contract, say a 76 OVR FS in this example.

Let's say his original contract was a 4-year rookie deal.

Since you acquired him via trade, any guaranteed money that was owed to him from his draft contract is being paid by the team you got him from.

Because of that, you have no guaranteed money tied up in this player.

Let's say you acquire him during his sophomore season. So, if he was drafted in 2013, you acquire him during the 2014 season, and you'll also have him under contract (based on his rookie deal) for 2015 and 2016.

In 2017 he'll become a free agent. You can normally renegotiate an extension (up to 6 years) with him during the 2016 season, the final season of his deal.

Let's say he has phenomenal physical stats: speed, acceleration, etc. but he's one if those players with low "skills" like AWR, PRC, ZCV, etc.

While he's still a 76 OVR, you can terminate his contract, then immediately resign him from the Free Agent Pool. This will place him on a one year contract (priced, from what I can tell, based on his OVR, his time accrued in the NFL, and his production - which if you haven't used him much should be almost zero).

Now you are free to resign him to a new 6-year deal at the end of the season (which will lock him up for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020, making him a free agent in 2021), or you can let him reach free agency (since you should be able to easily outbid teams for a 78 OVR player) and sign him to a 7-year deal that will lock him up through 2021 (he'll become a free agent in 2022).

Without being able to renegotiate players contracts via an official method, I used this workaround on occassion to prevent cap headaches down the line. I do have other players that I've extended in the same manner to gargantuan contracts (Dontari Poe comes to mind, since he's a centerpiece of my defense), along with a boatload of guaranteed money, so it ends up balancing itself out.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Overhaulin': Madden Financial System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helios12787
Main thing I'm wishing was in is realistic player demands in terms of contracts. This is mainly an issue with online leagues where I personally get tired of micromanaging owners with rules for every single thing to make stuff halfway realistic.

Pretty much anytime an in-game player is in contract negotiations in an online league with a person, the person just offers a 7 year deal with 0 guaranteed money and can cut/trade said player with zero penalty. Also, with how the contracts are structured, offering a 7 year contract is really 100% beneficial until over halfway through the contract when the base salary starts getting a bit higher.

It is one of the reasons why there is very little action come offseason free agency except for the bad owners who low ball or missed the contract signing periods lol.

My league requires all contracts to be 50% bonus money. They restrict the number and timing of when/how many FA's that are rated above 80 that you can sign in a season. This eliminates 0 bonus contracts and also eliminates cut and resigns. Click the Red Zone link in my sig and check out the rules thread. We have very few issues with team management.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide

Last edited by roll2tide; 03-06-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #8
Banned

They then used their 1st overall pick on Ryan Tannehill

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »