Home

Running with elusiveness

This is a discussion on Running with elusiveness within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

OVR: 0
Running with elusiveness

So, my bread and butter is running with power and trucking, and that's what I've been looking for in CFM since I started playing Madden 13/25. Now I'm looking to actually use my preferred team, and their Runningback is LeSean McCoy. my numbers dropped tremendously because I'm no good at being slippery and juke-y(?). Any tips or whatnot, because I've run out of options
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #2
Rookie

Syncmastr's Arena

Re: Running with elusiveness

I have the same problem. I joined an online franchise and the only open team at the time was the Eagles. We have rules against running around all crazy, so it really favors the trucking backs that can run over people.

Bryce Brown develops into a great trucking back. He pretty much stole the starting job from McCoy after a few years of development. If you are just playing the CPU, use McCoy as a change of pace/passing back. He is great at catching, I think he even lines up as a low 80s @ WR. You could probably line him up in the slot every once in a while. He is also deadly on HB screens.

If you are playing against humans, you will probably have to switch it up so you don't give away your plays.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
Rookie

The only move I have gotten to really be effective are the stutter step (tap LT). My biggest problem is everytime Is a lot of the time I will spin instead of juke... Really the best way to take advantage of speed is outside runs or to bounce things outside. I like the stretch runs ideally with either good blocking WR or no WR on the side I'm running. Stretch plays are awesome because they are designed for the backcut so if the outside is covered you can get a solid gain. I think a lot of the issue is speed threshold. There is no point in having a speed guy if speed doesn't matter. Once I adjusted that things seem a lot more balanced although it still a lot easier to just truck especially in space although you usually get caught up to pretty soon after.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:02 AM   #4
Rookie

letsgocavs99's Arena

OVR: 5

One thing that I love to do with elusive backs is use the combo moves with the right stick. Double jukes, jukes to spins etc. It gets the defender off balance then you can use your speed to beat him to the edge.

Check out my NCAA 14 UTEP Miners Dynasty! http://www.operationsports.com/forum...p-dynasty.html
Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Rookie

Speed backs tend to be smaller in size and have less stamina and increased risk of injury, which means you probably don't want to give them a massive workload. So when you do use them, you want to try to capitalize on their big play / home run ability.

When you run up the middle with a guy like Peyton Hillis, he can usually take a shot in the backfield and keep at least falling forward (though half the time it seems like a good power back like him will just shrug off the blow and keep running uphill). Because of this, while power backs might see more 2-3 yard gains, it's in fact because they tend to see less negative gains, even during plays where first contact is made in the backfield.

A RB like Jahvid Best will almost always go down on first contact in the backfield, so his blocking has to be perfect. You also need to be aware of exactly where everyone is going with their blocks ahead of time, so you cut off the correct side of your blocker. This is because while a defender will look blocked, as soon as you approach him, he'll instantaneously shed that block and grab your RB. You need to try as much as possible to avoid cutting that closely to your blocker. This is one reason why bouncing plays far outside is usually most effective for speed backs. It keeps you away from the DTs and DEs that look like they're engaged in a block, but in reality are just waiting for your RB to come close enough to pounce.

Running in Madden 25 (at least the XBOX360 version that I'm very familiar with) is also complicated because the blocking AI tends to pick specific defenders before the snap and go after them relentlessly.

On an ISO play up the middle, I've seen my RG help the RT double-team the DT over the top of them. After that play, I still needed an extra yard for the first down, so I call no huddle the same play again. Now suddenly my RG backs up and pulls left backwards and tries to help kick out the DE that is blitzing around the outside of my LT. He runs into my FB who was trying to make it to the hole up the middle where the play is going. They get stuck on each other, the RB hits into them since they're blocking the hole without ever touching a defender. The ROLB screams through the open space created when the RG evacuated his area on the offensive line, making the tackle in the backfield.

Other times your FB will suddenly stop in the hole. He does this because he selects a random linebacker to block before the snap, and then locks onto that LB the entire play. He is NOT programmed to properly lead block by running / leading through the hole to clear the hole, which is the entire issue. If he's running through the hole up the middle, and suddenly that LB he was targeting suddenly decides to go around the outside of the RT, guess what your FB is going to do? He's going to dead stop in the hole he's supposed to be clearing, now blocking your RB from going through it, then he's either going to try to run THROUGH your RG in order to get to that LB (and obviously that's not going to work, so he's just going to get stuck on your RG), or he's going to turn around 180 degrees and run backwards and try to kick that LB out as he comes around the outside of the right side of the offensive line.

Blockers in the last-gen versions of Madden 25 have terrible, terrible pathing logic, and you need to be aware of it so that when your FB just stops for no reason in the hole, you're ready to instantly bounce it outside with a cut-on-dime (just slam [really hard and really quick, but don't hold it] the left joystick to the left or right, wherever the closest hole is since at this point the play is completely blown and you're just trying to avoid negative yards, your RB will make a sharp jump cut horizontally and if you're lucky he'll slide behind whichever offensive lineman is nearby, putting his hand on their back to steady himself from the maneuver, and you can do this twice in a row quickly if you have to and he'll shuffle sideways down the line until he reaches an opening to go upfield). You can also try a spin move sideways, but I find the sidestep to generally be more effective, quicker, and easier to control.

Now that you're aware of the pathing problems with the blocking AI, here's something I've found.

I usually use the Detroit Lions playbook, and run out of I Formation with 2 TEs on the right. I pick the ISO play.

From this base running formation, I can audible to an outside run, or I can audible to a play action pass for the TE or audible to a quick slant to the WR. I can also run with my mobile QB from either of those pass play audibles depending on how the defense is positioned.

For the outside run audible, you have three movable chess pieces to help maximize your blocking on that play. Your two TEs, and your FB.

Moving your best blocking TE to whichever side you're running the ball to is always the preferred option. However, it takes longer to put your TE in motion, because he has to get set at the line again when he finishes his motion. This can give the defense time to adjust their position.

If you see an opening, but want that extra edge, it's quicker to put your FB in motion since he only takes a couple of steps, and you don't have to wait for him to get set, you can just hike it while he's moving.

The downside to this is, if the defender you wanted your FB to block was the DE, your FB tends to cut up inside (just underneath/inside your offensive tackle) very frequently if your FB isn't set when you snap the ball. If your FB IS set, then he'll almost always go immediately at the DE. This is what you want when you're running outside. Never trust the pulling backside Guard to make it to that DE, you'll almost always get tackled for a loss.

After you get around the DE, you'll have one or more of the CB, S, or OLB to beat from there. If your WR held his block (rare with most WRs, as they have poor Run-blocking and Strength), then you'll have a much easier time with the CB, and also more room to bounce it further towards the sideline, away from any pursuing LBs, giving you an extra edge to get past their pursuit angles and turn the corner on them.

I tend to avoid using the right joystick, as it drains your player's stamina, and you need all of it when running outside for long gains (plus low stamina = ridiculous risk of injury). I prefer using sharp cut-backs with the left joystick if a defender is over-pursuing his tackling angle. Occasionally I'll use a spin move if I think I have enough room to pull it off. I usually use the spin move while running at slower speeds.

Run out of bounds to avoid draining your players stamina extra from getting hit. It's usually not worth the extra yard or two if your player ends up suffering an injury.

So in a nutshell, it's important to understand all the ways that your blocker can and WILL incredibly screw up his simple blocking assignments. You need to be prepared for it every play and know how / be ready to react when you see the telltale signs of their stupidity in action.

Additionally, speed runners are best used in space, so outside runs (don't over-do it with these though, they tend to drain a lot of stamina especially when they work), and check-down passes on plays where the HB is wide open maximize use if their speed and acceleration by getting them into open space. Sprinkle in draw plays, but these I usually don't call ahead of time, I usually audible TO a draw play if I think the defense is susceptible to it at the line. You probably don't even want 20% of your run plays to be draw plays, you want it to be rare so they don't defend it.

Against human players, simply audible every play. That way they never know when you're audibling to a run play or a pass play. Call fake hot routes on a run play. From their end, it all looks the same. Even ask them over the headset, "whatcha think, am I gonna run or pass? Pass to Julio Jones?" *put Tony Gonzalez in motion* "Or maybe Tony G on a stop route?" "What about Steven Jackson out of the backfield?".

Play mind games, break their concentration, flip through a bunch of hot routes, and make their mind race with all the possibilities you could call. Overwhelm them mentally.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2014, 03:16 AM   #6
Rookie

Sheik's Arena

OVR: 3

Stop trying to run with Shady like he's a power back.

DO avoid using the speed burst until you see daylight.

Make use of counters, draws and optimal blocking (read I have three blockers lined up, compared to their 3 defenders) Shady's weapon is his spin move. Learn to use the modified version in open field and it's a 70 yard touchdown everytime.

Speed guys look for the mismatch of who they can run past, not who they can bowl over.
Your mentality has to change.

A LeSean McCoy stat line should read like
19 carries for 80-120 yards
5 receptions 50-60 yards

IF you can't get that, you're doing it very wrong.

The eagles line is geared towards pass blocking, you're not going to get pancaked defenders to just run over, YOU must use the line adjustments.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
Rookie

I just uploaded two examples clips of things I mentioned in my above post. So you know what to look out for.

Here's the FB stopping in the hole:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKYrwclnDjk

And here's the FB running into the pulling Guard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-dRB4JZJOI
Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #8
Pro

dougdfc's Arena

I still cannot do it for jack diddly. I just don't get it. The moment I cut outside I get eaten in the backfield, no matter the situation, and if I stick to the inside, everybody near me breaks their blocker and hits me for a loss. I just had 31 carries for -59 yards despite having 95 speed and 98 elusiveness

btw, benched him for Willis McGahee, who proceeded to have 167 yards on 11 carries because power is wholly better than elusiveness apparently

Last edited by dougdfc; 04-22-2014 at 02:52 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »