Home

How to build an elite Madden 15 Defense in Franchise mode

This is a discussion on How to build an elite Madden 15 Defense in Franchise mode within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-28-2015, 10:14 AM   #17
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: How to build an elite Madden 15 Defense in Franchise mode

There is many different ways to build a great defense in Madden. The key to building any defense or offense is build it around what you do. If you are running a 4-3 and you want speed rushing DEs then don't sign/draft 3-4 run stoppers.

Also build around the type plays you call. An example is you call only cover 2 or 3 zone, so don't fill your team with guys that have low zone coverage ratings.

Last advice I can offer is don't value overall higher then the ratings. I have a nickel corner that has a low overall but in my nickel package he is a beast. He has a 92 zone rating but a 61 man rating. Since I am in zone when running nickel he is perfect. In his 2 year career he has 9 picks and was a 6th round pick.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:16 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
There is many different ways to build a great defense in Madden. The key to building any defense or offense is build it around what you do. If you are running a 4-3 and you want speed rushing DEs then don't sign/draft 3-4 run stoppers.

Also build around the type plays you call. An example is you call only cover 2 or 3 zone, so don't fill your team with guys that have low zone coverage ratings.

Last advice I can offer is don't value overall higher then the ratings. I have a nickel corner that has a low overall but in my nickel package he is a beast. He has a 92 zone rating but a 61 man rating. Since I am in zone when running nickel he is perfect. In his 2 year career he has 9 picks and was a 6th round pick.
Exactly. Although I will argue that you can mix schemes if you know how to do it:

3-4 OLB Rushers are often very good 4-3 DE speed rushers (beware though, they might not be that good against the run).
3-4 DEs often make excellent 4-3 DTs
Having a 3-4 NT in a 4-3 under or over scheme works wonders. just make sure you doublecheck whether it is the #1 or #2 DT that plays over the center in that scheme.
If you run a cover 1/cover 2 man/blitz scheme (like I do), having your FS be a zone CB with decent man ratings can be a godsend if you don't have a proper FS. I've done that with Jason McCourty in my dynasty as I wait for my 5th round FS to develop.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:15 AM   #19
Rookie

There are some positions that are really easy to find through the draft, and other that you're probably going to have to "buy" (that is, pay for through free agency). I generally run a hybrid style defense, which allow for far more variation in how you play, and I throw in Nickle for obvious passing situations. The Patriots are kind of who I model my D after, and I generally am first in the league (for franchise).

For my front four (DL), I bring my rush from the edge and stop the run up the middle. Speed rushers for ends are really easy to find in drafts, and big boys (run stopper, nose tackle) is great for in the middle. With a hybrid, you need one more guy than strictly 3-4 or 4-3. I generally prefer to go really heavy on an all star line and pay cash for LBs later. I usually use my LBs to stop the run, so great pursuit, play recognition, and tackling is all I look for. In terms of secondary, man to man is the way to go. Zone is too easy to pick apart, while getting two 90+ corners isn't really that hard. Finding 81 or 82 overall rookie corners is a breeze, and draft enough of them with late picks and you'll get some superstars in there somewhere. For safety, I run a run stopping, big hitting SS and an "outfielder" FS who can run zone and stop big passes (see Seahawks safeties).

I have a complete guide on everything in franchise mode, how to build everything in a google doc, here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 PM   #20
Rookie

Coverage skills are the most expensive to upgrade, and on All Madden interceptions are hard to come by even if you have a bunch of sacks so it's hard to get XP for your DBs.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:36 PM   #21
Rookie

So if you're looking to keep the opponent out of the endzone you might want to draft corners (best ones go immediately, 1st 2 rounds) with high 90-95 MCV/ZCV skills, good hands and good athleticism.

If you have any kind of good defense you should be able stop the run with numbers by bringing your safeties down presnap.

You can draft passrushers if you don't have them who atleast have good athletic ability and it's cheap to upgrade PMV/FMV and they pick up more XP than the DBs so they're easier to develop.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

You can build your team thru the draft and free agency very easy.

The very first thing you should do is wait until you can buy the discount package for your coach.

Awareness gives your player a higher rating, but since you control the players always wait until their man skills are high before you increase this.
Especially on offense

Speed is the most costly attribute so here are some tips I picked up.

Never draft FB's or TE's. For FB's (after year one) sign a big young RB sign him to a long term cheap contract convert to FB... run blocking is the only attribute you need to build.

For TE's draft RED ZONE THREAT wrs, usually 6'4 240 lbs and up. Do not convert them to TE right away though or they will lose speed. Convert them to HB, then convert them to FB, then convert them to TE. All you have to do is build their blocking up as they are already good receivers.

Never draft a safety... Sign the fastest CB's for cheap, all you have to do is build their tackling as they usually will have decent zone coverage already.

OLB's with good strength and pass rushing skills make great speed rushers, and can usually be cheap in free agency if their zone coverage is terrible.

Conversely, fast speed rushers make good OLB in a 3-4 just build up the zone coverage.

Pass rushing DTs make great 3-4 DEs

Unless you need an immediate starter, trade out of the first round. why pay big money to a backup?

WR's and CB's never draft anyone who doesn't have an A/A in speed acceleration. It's a lot cheaper to build a 7th round fast CB's awareness than it will be to build a 1st rounder with slow speed.

You can sign several positions for minimum or near minimum contracts and in less than one season have a stud with 6 years left making minimum money.

When drafting OL STR/RB/PB are all that matters. never draft a guy who strength is not an A and RB/PB is not B or better. Using valuable points building strength will cost u a lot. Improve impact blocking only after the main one's are 90+.

The most important thing is DO NOT build up a player in the last year of his contract until you resign him.

Look on the trade block for young guys on the block in the last year of a contract. If you trade for them you can resign them for super cheap, then choose to build them up once they are under a long term contract.

If you are in a position to give the FB or backup RB a TD instead of a RB getting a useless 4th or 5th use the FB or backup.

Try and give the young players at least half of their season goal.

you can have a really great team in 2 seasons and no one will be making outrageous money except the QB. Pay him!

If you have backups you want to trade, spend points building their awareness, especially at QB. They become easy to trade.

I currently have 15 90+ 30 80+ 8 75+ players in year 3. Payroll is $68M
Old 05-30-2015, 08:14 PM   #23
Rookie

MidMellow's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboyette
I wanted to take a rookie cb and make him elite...As a rookie playing cb2 rated a 82 he had 10 interceptions. ..now year 2 he's progressed to a 92 switched him to cb1 and halfway thru season he has 0 !! I'm running same plays...any suggestions or insights ?
The CPU can recognize positional match ups just like the human player can. So if you're CB consistently matches up well physically and attribute wise with most other teams #1 WR, the CPU QBs will often target other areas of your defense that have a more favorable match up for them.

Last edited by MidMellow; 06-04-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:58 AM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedLion14
when building a defense, there are three parts: your line, your LBers, and your secondary. typically if you can have one of those three parts being "elite" while the other two are "average", you can get an elite defense.

I generally make sure my secondary is as good as possible, no matter what. Good coverage buys more team for your pass rush to get home, in addition to the more obvious interceptions. When I'm running a 4-3, I then focus on my D-Line; if I were running a 3-4, I'd focus on the LBers. I'll elaborate on how to create a solid 4-3, since that's what I usually run:

D-Line: typically, I get speed rushers on the outside and big guys on the inside. My best case scenario is actually getting two guys who can play nose tackle as my tackles - goes a long way towards stuffing the run. I focus on getting pressure, every play. The front four always blitz, and they usually have help from somebody.

Linebackers: I prefer run stuffers with decent coverage skills. Because I usually go into nickel when facing 3-wide sets, I don't focus two much on the coverage. I make sure they can blitz, because I'm almost always sending one - the key thing is, the offense doesn't know who's coming.

Secondary: here's where you have to make a choice: focus on man coverage, zone coverage, or a mix of both. I prefer man coverage b/c I'm always sending pressure, and zone blitzes just aren't my thing. SS should be good in both man and zone coverage, while FS should be "center fielders" (that is, good in zone, good play recognition, speed to get to the ball and make plays. they tend to get a lot of picks). I usually operate in Cover 1, Cover 2 Man, or a blitz with one safety over the top, so the FS is generally not covering anyone man.

Sorry if I ramble a bit. Hope this helps.
Useful, thanks

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »