Home

Why is this game getting so much negative feedback?

This is a discussion on Why is this game getting so much negative feedback? within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Rookie

rupe's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Why is this game getting so much negative feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4ever
From the reviews mentioned in various websites and gaming magazines, I noticed that this game got subpar reviews. I've also seen a lot of complaints on gaming forums as well. Is this game really that bad?

From reading posts on this message forum for the last hour or so, it seems like this game is a chore to play. Actually, it seems almost unplayable without any slider adjustments. How can a game like this be great?

Anyhow, I just bought the game, but I might return it because it seems like I have to put too much work into it in order to get the game to play somewhat realistic.

Because people are stupid and inpatient like me. When I got the game I hated it. Ha ted it! I complained to my wife that I just blew $60.00 on a crap title and that I was gonna take it back the next day and trade it in for a Show preorder. After thinking I would not get crap for trade in, I decided to play with the sliders and give it some more time before I spent over $100 to get my baseball fix. I am glad I did. Love the game now. The hardest thing for me to overcome was my plate discipline. I was used to being able to tell a ball from a strike easily in other games. With this I had to be more patient and look for pitches.

The only complaints I have are the fielding camera (which is better if you turn off the zoom), and I would like to experience the stadiums a little more. Some of the scoreboards show a-lot of detail on the players stats that you never get to see unless you hit replay and zoom on them.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #10
Living The Dream!

Victor99's Arena

OVR: 9

Other than the fielding camera, I really enjoy the game.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
MVP

jrivera34's Arena

OVR: 10

Aside for the AI Lineup glitch within Franchise, I think this game plays great. I play on Legend and the only slider I changed was the power slider. Legend has it at 90 for the AI and I dropped it down to 40.

For my Franchise, I chose to control 4 teams (Mets, Braves, Phillies, and Marlins). Since I play as the Mets, these are the teams I will play the most and now I am able to adjust their lineups before each game. You need two controllers for this, but it is OK. Yes, I should not have to do these things, but it is what it is.

I wish these game developers would give us total access to our AI opponent's team so that these glitches would not be an issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

mjb2124's Arena

OVR: 32

This isn't a bad game, but IMO it needs a lot of work to play well. The sliders do work well though and can cut down on many issues that people have.

My biggest problem right now is the AI lineup problem in franchise, errors counted as earned runs and walks counted as unearned runs. Other than that, I'm enjoying the game.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 6

I think what frustrates me the most is that the developers knowingly let these bugs enter the game. But they didn't fix them because they were on a schedule. I really wish that they delayed this game. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would surely wait another month for a quality game than to deal with some of these bugs until the next 2k baseball title came out.

Of course, I wouldn't put it pass 2k to come out with a World Series Edition of 2k7 with updated rosters, fixed glitches, and a new mode...all for 60 bucks!

Maybe the Bigs will have a decent franchise.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 60

Anyhow, I just bought the game, but I might return it because it seems like I have to put too much work into it in order to get the game to play somewhat realistic.

I understand some people don't have time to tweak the game, but this is the beauty of it. I got the game playing well for me with little effort.

Loving the game, hating the fact that I can't keep every teams rosters updated, even with the FORCED TRADES. I was hoping forced trades would at least move traded players between the teams, but the AI screws up the ML/Minor league players.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM   #15
Cyber Griffin

CFav's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattstl77
I think what frustrates me the most is that the developers knowingly let these bugs enter the game. But they didn't fix them because they were on a schedule. I really wish that they delayed this game. I don't know about the rest of you, but I would surely wait another month for a quality game than to deal with some of these bugs until the next 2k baseball title came out.

Of course, I wouldn't put it pass 2k to come out with a World Series Edition of 2k7 with updated rosters, fixed glitches, and a new mode...all for 60 bucks!

Maybe the Bigs will have a decent franchise.
That's the one thing I couldn't understand in terms of delaying the game. The funny(not really, sad actually) thing about it, is that they PUSHED the game UP a week......go figure.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2007, 12:57 PM   #16
Rookie

asb_man's Arena

OVR: 6

I think the negativitiy is based on a few factors. Since 2K has the exclusive rights to the MLB, it's the only baseball title available for xbox360. Madden saw the same type of negativity in the forums right after they locked up the NFL rights. Last year's 2K6 on 360 scored a few 0 out of 10 reviews so you can see why some were hesitant to try this years title, let alone play it long enough to start liking it.

I have been playing the game for a week now and I am really impressed. The graphics are definitely 'next gen', I love the pitching mechanic and having the catcher call the game for you. (ASB '06 was going to have this) My main gripes with are game are:

-check swings are pretty much non-existent (swing stick needs a lot of tuning)

-there’s so many game highlight cutscenes, I am pounding on the’A’ button to skip to the point where I throw a pitch accidentally. I lost my no-hitter in the 7th inning one time because of this!!

-too many robbed homeruns. Plus showing the highlight of it every time that player bats. Having 5 robbed homerun movies of Andruw Jones before his at-bat is what cost me the no-hitter mentioned above.

-fielders don’t lock-in when you are positioned to make the catch, thus they usually just barely hang on to make the catch on routine plays.

Overall I am having a lot of fun so I will keep playing it. Again, hats off to 2K for pulling it together.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »