Home

Major League Baskeball 2K9 Features List

This is a discussion on Major League Baskeball 2K9 Features List within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 8
Re: MLB 2K9 Features List

Crowd reacts to Home Runs and Foul Balls. like WOW!!!!!!

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2009, 01:10 AM   #26
MVP

Stroehms's Arena

OVR: 55

Favorite Quote:

Quote:
Hitting
  • Influence hit – The users will be able to influence a fly ball or groundball with new controls.
  • New bunting controls – Improved bunting will make it easier to lay down a bunt.
  • Zone hitting – Users will be able to put the bat on the ball with our new zone hitting feature.
  • Hit distribution – Improved hit distribution for a wide variety of hits.
Fielding
  • Fielding – Upgraded fielding system with new ability to quick throw when in a rush.
  • Fielding AI – Improved fielding AI will highlight the player’s true ability.
  • Quick Throws – Quick throws will allow the user to throw on the run or start a double play quicker.
  • Hold the ball – Users will be able to cancel a throw and throw to a different direction on the fly.
Baserunning
  • Simplified controls for the user for stealing and baserunning.
Signature Style
  • More than 300 new signature animations, making MLB2K9 the most realistic baseball sim to date.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

They really shouldn't have put in this line -

- Anything that happens in a baseball stadium happens in 2K9 in Real Time

That sounds like EA's "If it's in the game, it's in the game" and we all know how much water that holds...

Still, the specific stuff they mentioned underneath that sounds interesting.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #28
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by King LeJon #23
There is not one single intriguing new feature....won't be buying.
You must be one of those "*****" types. History aside, on paper, this game's features sound very intriguing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
They really shouldn't have put in this line -

- Anything that happens in a baseball stadium happens in 2K9 in Real Time

That sounds like EA's "If it's in the game, it's in the game" and we all know how much water that holds...
Strange, I saw it as the exact opposite. I don't think you are interpreting this feature correctly. Allow me to elaborate:

This game's cut scenes will not be pre-generated angles, actions, etc. They will all be on-the-fly. The game is not split up into different loading times by batter, inning, what have you. Everything is unanticipated, and can lead to perhaps smoother running commentary and such, since we're not really "skipping" time.

Let's say a batter flies out. He'll go back to the dugout, the ball will get back into the infield and to the pitcher, the man on deck will approach the box as his name is announced, another batter will reach the on deck circle, the vendor will keep walking down the steps, the Coriolis effect will have the sun appear to be moving, and we may have multiple different camera cuts of whatever it is we need, or even an automatic replay.

Here's an example of how another game, even The Show, would work: your batter flies out, there is a pre-generated cut scene of something that we've seen 10,000 times already, or we can skip it by pressing X and go onto the next batter, already up to the plate and ready to go. Here's the problem: the game doesn't recall anything prior to the pitch before the fly out. We can't backtrack the pitch before that, the batter before, the inning... nothing like that. It all has to reload. Think of it like any FPS game that you play, where the story waits for you to reach it to coincidentally "drop in" on the dialogue, or just see the bad guy in time. 2K9 is not like that. The NBA 2K series has been going the same route the last couple of years. If there is a foul, players actually assemble to their spots instead of the players reloading to where they need to go, and they actually go on and off the bench.

All of this real time stuff is a very good thing, and IMO if done correctly can bring this series in the right direction.

The problem still is whether this on-paper stuff is all that it is. I mean, aside from the Lincecum rendering, we have yet to even see a screenshot of this game. Who knows what it's going to look or play like? The replay feature thing sounds fantastic, but who gives a hoot if the game is unplayable?

I'm happy to hear about zone hitting. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come, and hopefully us PS3 owners have a valid choice this year between two strong baseball games. The one downer is there is not a shred of information on franchise stuff, but IMO that's expected with the gameplay turnaround they need to start making, plus they need something to get FOM to sell.

Thank goodness VC took control.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 01-09-2009 at 04:06 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:47 AM   #29
MVP

OVR: 15

I really like what I read, at last we'll be able to influence fly and ground ball, gesture pitching is still there, and welcome back dynamic crowd! However not a single word on franchise mode, that baffles me.....
Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 26

Finally ZONE HITTING.

Last edited by baa7; 01-09-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
However not a single word on franchise mode, that baffles me.....
VC worked on APF 2K8. Maybe they're pulling one of those... you know, scrapping it completely?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

areobee401's Arena

OVR: 24
Re: Major League Baskeball 2K9 Features List

I may be in the minority here but what I see on that list has me excited. My biggest issues are all being addressed. Improved frame rate and online play(although with sliders in league play online will be a bust for me) , better presentation , and improving what is already in the game.

I think this game will surprise some people. I'm not saying it will be a sports game of the year winner but I have a feeling it will offer a solid baseball experience.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »