Home

Looks like we may have HOMERUN problem again

This is a discussion on Looks like we may have HOMERUN problem again within the MLB 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #81
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Looks like we may have HOMERUN problem again

I agree. I would rather lose in a close game than win 10-0 all the time. I just want a good representation of how the game is played in real life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #82
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
But the thing of it is (and I talk about this in my weird video), the ratings already tell us what kind of hitters they are. I don't want to have to further exaggerate that by separating the kinds of hitters with different kinds of swings.

As an example that I made earlier, the Game Informer guy had 20 home runs with Derrek Lee in 25 games. There's a good chance that he uses the power swing with him. This means that not only does Lee already have a pretty high power rating, but now he's further influencing it with a power swing, probably leading to more home runs. On the other hand, how many home runs do you think he has with Mike Fontenot? He's not a home run hitter, so it would probably be unwise to swing for power with him anyway. So now he'll swing for contact. In this case, a low power rating combined with the contact swing will probably lead to no home runs. I doubt he even has one home run with him, but I really don't know.

I just always believe that it's best to at least grant us the ability to have a standard swing, that way we can let the ratings determine how hard that ball is hit (combined with our timing, etc.). Another nice approach as I once mentioned before is to have set attributes, and then have a standard, contact, and power swing, but with the threshold difference being much smaller. .
Lee's power rating in one of the screenshots was in the mid 80s, at least against LHP.

As for you Fontenot statement.... using a contact swing exclusively with a contact hitter shouldn't produce many homers. Over a full season, these guys hit maybe 5. If it's a guy that is capable of hitting more, we should use the power swing.

Here's the underlying issue. The ratings have to mean something. Example: in a recent article detailing "myplayer", it was revealed that the closer had 1 home run and 5 RBIs, and was slapping balls to the OF with ease. A closer, with contact and power ratings presumably well below 40, shouldn't be able to make contact.

In the same vein, Albert Pujols or Adrian Gonzalez should be capable of hitting more homers because they are rated higher. The ratings mean nothing when there is no difference between 65 power and 95 power.

That said, I wonder how I am going to use these swings.... use the contact swing as "default", only swing for power with players that are capable and in the right situation?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #83
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker
I have to agree with you, Blzer. It does throw the game out of whack. At the very least, HR swing needs a pretty large downside. If you want to use it, your swing and miss needs to rise dramatically.

Or maybe it will be tuned so that I always use the power swing. Maybe if I tune it so Pujols hits 45, Molina will crank just 8-10, or whatever his numbers should be. Either way, I thnk one swing is the only way to go.

As a Cards fan, I could tell you that 3 to 5 is realistic for Yadi. That is a great point. If the power swing yields greater results, then it should have greater downfalls. For instance, even using the power swing exclusively with a hitter like Pujols, he should see his average diminish and his Ks rise.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:46 PM   #84
MVP

Bondsfan's Arena

OVR: 8

Well, if batting is still too easy with the swing stick, I guess there's always the option to go back to cursor hitting. The cursor was hideous and intrusive last year, but it was anything but easy to hit, even on PRO, with cursor hitting. I have a bad feeling that is where I'm going to have to end up again this year.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #85
Rookie

OVR: 7

Guys, the 2k MLB games have had the homerun problem since the Dreamcast days with World Series Baseball 2K2, which was also made by Visual Concept. It seems like slow pitch speed and high amount of homeruns is their signature.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2010, 02:51 AM   #86
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukaMuka
Guys, the 2k MLB games have had the homerun problem since the Dreamcast days with World Series Baseball 2K2, which was also made by Visual Concept. It seems like slow pitch speed and high amount of homeruns is their signature.
I thought the old Sega Baseball team was Blue Shift or something along those lines? Or am I getting that confused with Sega's older World Series Baseball? You're right on the HR problem though regardless.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #87
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MukaMuka
Blue Shift was the developer, but VC kind of told them what to do in it all.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #88
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

I think I'm going to buy he game and play it for a while then decide....
But that's just me.

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K »