Home

2014 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2014 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #441
MVP

decga's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: 2014 Atlanta Braves

Hey my fellow Braves followers. Straight up J-Hey or J-UP for the long haul? I am going with J-Hey.... Here is why: 2nd on the team in BA .271. 1st in SB with 20. 3rd on the team in Runs with 74 and tied for 3rd on the team in RBI with 58. I would be so disappointed in my Braves if they trade Heyward. Unless Hart & Cop can pull off a Prado like deal in return that Wren accomplished.

There is a rumor out on the west coast that the Mariners want J-Up. If we could their fast OF Jones or Austin Jackson and one their young arms ie Tajuan Walker or Paxton. I say go for it.... That way we could keep Gattis and play him LF. The lineup would like this:

1. CF Austin Jackson
2. 2B LaStella, Perazza or Gosselin
3. RF Heyward
4. 1B Freeman
5. LF Gattis
6. SS Simmons
7. 3B Johnson
8. C Betancort
9. Pitcher

Last edited by decga; 11-10-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Added more details.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #442
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

It's tough. I'd probably pick Heyward just because he'll probably be cheaper, and the talent is so tantalizing. If he can put it all together, meaning hit for the power he's shown to be capable of while keeping the average up and strikeouts down, and become consistent, evening out those hot and cold streaks (which I'd say is the biggest thing young players continue to develop), he's an elite player. Right now, Justin is better. But Jason has more room for improvement.

We aren't getting Walker or Paxton if Upton doesn't extend with them, and even then it's doubtful. We certainly aren't getting Jackson with him, or even with Paxton. Not that I'd want Jackson. Career .336 obp, and only .308 last year. For a guy with only 46 career home runs, that's a big fat pass. Plus, he's only about a 20 sb guy. Jones isn't that great either. Zero power, and showed no ability to get on base last year. If he could turn into a .360 obp guy, maybe you can use this, but at this point he's struggling as a fourth or fifth outfielder.
Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 AM   #443
MVP

decga's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
It's tough. I'd probably pick Heyward just because he'll probably be cheaper, and the talent is so tantalizing. If he can put it all together, meaning hit for the power he's shown to be capable of while keeping the average up and strikeouts down, and become consistent, evening out those hot and cold streaks (which I'd say is the biggest thing young players continue to develop), he's an elite player. Right now, Justin is better. But Jason has more room for improvement.

We aren't getting Walker or Paxton if Upton doesn't extend with them, and even then it's doubtful. We certainly aren't getting Jackson with him, or even with Paxton. Not that I'd want Jackson. Career .336 obp, and only .308 last year. For a guy with only 46 career home runs, that's a big fat pass. Plus, he's only about a 20 sb guy. Jones isn't that great either. Zero power, and showed no ability to get on base last year. If he could turn into a .360 obp guy, maybe you can use this, but at this point he's struggling as a fourth or fifth outfielder.
So you are saying Heyward lack of production has to do with inconsistency on his part. This guy has been injured and it will happen. But he still goes all out in the field and getting to the bases. I cant say that about J-Up. I like Justin now. I didn't like him before. He was a "ME" type player in Arizona. He is proving me wrong.

This Braves uniform is strong. Sheffield was a "ME" type of star, but he wasn't with the Braves. The Braves would have to give either one of them a 5-7 year deal for the organization chooses. Hearing the organization brass talking about "The Braves Way", Jason embodies this the most of ANYONE on this roster....
Old 11-11-2014, 01:42 AM   #444
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I'd rather keep Heyward any day. Better defense, more likable, more potential, homegrown, etc.

I love Justin but I'd definitely be willing to pull the plug on the Upton Experiment if we could figure out a way to move both Justin and BJ. Doubt it happens though.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:04 AM   #445
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I'd rather keep Heyward any day. Better defense, more likable, more potential, homegrown, etc.

I love Justin but I'd definitely be willing to pull the plug on the Upton Experiment if we could figure out a way to move both Justin and BJ. Doubt it happens though.
I was trying to keep the likeable and homegrown out of the equation, but all your points are absolutely true.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #446
Pro

thefakeJTS's Arena

OVR: 0

Ervin declining the offer made me happy because surely someone is going to sign him in the offseason sooner than last year, and The Braves need all of the draft picks we can get. Hopefully all of the new front office and scouting improvements yield a great draft.

However, all of this talk about putting Gattis in LF absolutely kills me. He is a black hole out there, and his defense will cost us more games than his bat wins us from the Outfield. That means J-UP is definitely on the market, but I really wish we'd trade Gattis accompanied by BJ to an AL team and just take a lesser package by including BJ's contract.
Atlanta Hawks
Old 11-11-2014, 12:53 PM   #447
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

Gattis doesn't need to go to an AL team. That limits things. He's perfectly capable at first base. But no one is taking BJ with him. That's a pipe dream.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #448
MVP

decga's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Gattis doesn't need to go to an AL team. That limits things. He's perfectly capable at first base. But no one is taking BJ with him. That's a pipe dream.
He is capable at first, but that's Freddie spot. Although the Cards wants Freddie... Gattis would have to trim down his body size for any other position than Catcher.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »