Home

2017 Atlanta Braves

This is a discussion on 2017 Atlanta Braves within the MLB Official Team Threads forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-25-2017, 04:34 PM   #161
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: 2017 Atlanta Braves

Damn, the article was open to read when I read it. Dammit. Basically talks about the organization being in turmoil and pressure mounting from all sides. Talked about John Hart berating Snitker after the blown Seattle game a few weeks ago, how Coppolella wants yes-men around him, etc.

Just a bad look.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #162
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
Damn, the article was open to read when I read it. Dammit. Basically talks about the organization being in turmoil and pressure mounting from all sides. Talked about John Hart berating Snitker after the blown Seattle game a few weeks ago, how Coppolella wants yes-men around him, etc.

Just a bad look.
Ya, I couldn't read it either, but a lot of what you are saying seems suspect to me. Where is this "pressure" coming from? An overbearing owner? Nope, we don't have that, unfortunately. The front office? I wouldn't think so...when Hart got here he said it would take 5 years and has said repeatedly that 2019 is the year he expects this this team to be playoff ready (Coppolella has stated the same thing). Pressure from the fans? Sure, maybe...but doesn't every team have that? I don't buy the pressure story...

A front office guy berating the manager for blowing a game? I'm pretty sure that happens with every organization. Heck, I wanted to berate Snitker for sitting and watching Johnson blow yet ANOTHER save (that was the game we were up 5-4 and lost 9-6 after Johnson gave up 4 runs without retiring a hitter). The fact that Snitker has continued to run Johnson out deserves berating!

Finally, on Coppollela wanting nothing but "yes" men around him. First I've heard of it, but I'd be surprised. Since Hart/Coppy took over people who were in the organization that Wren ran off have flocked back to the front office (mainly in the scouting and development offices).

I'd love to be able to read that article to see if Rosenthal attributed any of his sources, but I have trouble with any of this.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #163
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/b...ower-struggle/

I found this in response to what must be the article that you posted...I kind of fall on this side of things.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 PM   #164
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

On another note, I know his peripherals haven't been great, but I've been really impressed with Lucas Sims. He's actually improved since he's been up, has good stuff, can locate most of the time, and really gets after it on the mound.

IMO, going into ST next year there should be real competition between Gohara, Newcomb, Sims, Fried, to be our 3, 4, and 5. I'd rather not see us pick up Dickey's option and just move forward with the young pitchers.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:36 AM   #165
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

I don't know. All I know is that we've read about a lot of shuffling and lots of supposed situations and conflict.

That doesn't happen in organizations that are stable. Something's missing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #166
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31
I don't know. All I know is that we've read about a lot of shuffling and lots of supposed situations and conflict.

That doesn't happen in organizations that are stable. Something's missing.
If I had to guess, the friction comes from this; John Schuerholz. He has his ideas of how things should be done, and I'm sure Hart/Coppy have their ideas. I'm sure there are often clashes over what needs to be done. The baseball world is a different place than it was in Schuerholz's day, especially when it comes to the Braves' payroll. In the 1990's and early 2000's the Braves were ALWAYS in the top 3 in payroll. It is no coincidence that our slide into mediocrity coincided with Turner's sale of the team and our payroll remaining stagnant. This year we were 19th in payroll and we've been in the lower half of the league for the last decade.

Bottom line, I trust Hart (he's rebuilt TWO teams before) and I think Coppy has done a decent job. We'll see shortly how decent of a job.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:21 PM   #167
All Star

OVR: 8

Sims is definitely interesting. Like so many of our young pitchers control is a problem, but there are some things that are promising. I think he fits more into the old Kris Medlen role of a spot starter/long relief which isn't a bad thing.

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 10-02-2017, 01:22 PM   #168
All Star

OVR: 8

Wow...coppy gone

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-signing-rules

Sent from my Pixel using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball > MLB Official Team Threads »