Home

MLB 11 The Show Rosters - Operation Sports Full Minors (Opening Day Set)

This is a discussion on MLB 11 The Show Rosters - Operation Sports Full Minors (Opening Day Set) within the MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 06-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #697
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: MLB 11 The Show Rosters - Operation Sports Full Minors (Opening Day Set)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbaseball22
Bryce is 18 playing in A ball. Hitting .346 thru 200 AB's with 13 HR. Thats great.

Mike Trout wasnt much off last year when he too was only 18. There is a pretty big difference between single A and AA. Im not saying Bryce sucks at all. But to have him step in as an 18 year old and perform better than half the league makes it unrealistic, and its off
I agree. If MLB 11: The Show used a number system to rate it's players, Harper should be a 70, tops with A+++++++ potential. Harper has great ability, but he is very unstable mentally and from everything I've heard, is a mental liability.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #698
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpbaseball22
Bryce is 18 playing in A ball. Hitting .346 thru 200 AB's with 13 HR. Thats great.

Mike Trout wasnt much off last year when he too was only 18. There is a pretty big difference between single A and AA. Im not saying Bryce sucks at all. But to have him step in as an 18 year old and perform better than half the league makes it unrealistic, and its off
Ummm...Mike Trout(love him as player...but...) hit .340 with only 10 homers in 600 PA in A ball last year. Harper has 13 in about 1/3 the PA's. You got some fuzzy math if you think Trout wasn't "much off" that last year.

But this isn't about Harper vs. Trout....it's where Harper would be if he played in the MLB. From what I hear from most scouts....this kid could knock the ball with anyone....right now. He may get humbled by some far superior pitching....but that's where his VIS and DISC and CLUTCH come into play.
Play with him....you'll see he isn't quite the monster you think he is.
...and..
If you don't like Harper's ratings....knock him down a bit.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 06-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #699
All Star

authentic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Ummm...Mike Trout(love him as player...but...) hit .340 with only 10 homers in 600 PA in A ball last year. Harper has 13 in about 1/3 the PA's. You got some fuzzy math if you think Trout wasn't "much off" that last year.

But this isn't about Harper vs. Trout....it's where Harper would be if he played in the MLB. From what I hear from most scouts....this kid could knock the ball with anyone....right now. He may get humbled by some far superior pitching....but that's where his VIS and DISC and CLUTCH come into play.
Play with him....you'll see he isn't quite the monster you think he is.
...and..
If you don't like Harper's ratings....knock him down a bit.

M.K.
Knight165
However, scouts still have Trout ahead of Harper in the rankings. Sometimes players who are going to be big league power guys don't do as well in MiLB because of the pitching. No doubt Harper is going to be good, and his power is excellent, but there's a difference in having RAW power and having great pop in your bat. I saw Harper play at the JUCO World Series and he has great power, but his discipline is very bad. He was swinging at sub par sliders in the dirt regularly, but in JUCO ball pitchers make twice as many mistakes so balls left the park. MLB pitchers won't make mistakes, know what I mean when I say mistakes. Minor league pitchers are far less efficient, which is harder to hit, but MLB pitchers put the ball on the corners with 2, 3, even 4 pitches that look the same out of the hand. The question is will Harper have the same power when he see's those pitches. He may be able to hit a mistake fastball out of the park and single A pitching, but we won't know how he hits off good pitching until the Nationals get him in the bigs, which I doubt will be this year. If their smart they will let him progress. Being a Cubs fan I think of Corey Patterson, guy tore it up as a 18 year old in the minors and they called him up early, ended up struggling with consistency and never was very good. He finally is starting to get good at bats and have success and thats 10 years later. I don't think the Nationals want that.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #700
Best in the World

BDKiiing's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
However, scouts still have Trout ahead of Harper in the rankings. Sometimes players who are going to be big league power guys don't do as well in MiLB because of the pitching. No doubt Harper is going to be good, and his power is excellent, but there's a difference in having RAW power and having great pop in your bat. I saw Harper play at the JUCO World Series and he has great power, but his discipline is very bad. He was swinging at sub par sliders in the dirt regularly, but in JUCO ball pitchers make twice as many mistakes so balls left the park. MLB pitchers won't make mistakes, know what I mean when I say mistakes. Minor league pitchers are far less efficient, which is harder to hit, but MLB pitchers put the ball on the corners with 2, 3, even 4 pitches that look the same out of the hand. The question is will Harper have the same power when he see's those pitches. He may be able to hit a mistake fastball out of the park and single A pitching, but we won't know how he hits off good pitching until the Nationals get him in the bigs, which I doubt will be this year. If their smart they will let him progress. Being a Cubs fan I think of Corey Patterson, guy tore it up as a 18 year old in the minors and they called him up early, ended up struggling with consistency and never was very good. He finally is starting to get good at bats and have success and thats 10 years later. I don't think the Nationals want that.
You doubted Uncle Knight...you lose

Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #701
All Star

authentic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdolski
You doubted Uncle Knight...you lose
I doubted him? I said, based off words, on the internet, that Trout is the #1 prospect. Also, I have actually seen him play, can you say that? Also, I have also talked to scouts that are Regional Scouts, who are top scouts, also I have talked to scouts who are with the MLB bureau. I have because I am being scouted myself and I have made conversation with them about pro baseball. I think I know what I am talking about.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2011, 07:24 PM   #702
MVP

Jason_19's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by authentic
he is very unstable mentally and from everything I've heard, is a mental liability.
That is one of the most asinine things that I have ever read about Harper. I can say with absolute confidence that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You shouldn't say or think that about anyone, unless you know that for a fact.

What I said applies to everything in this world. You should never believe what anyone says without researching and studying the facts for yourself and you can't do that with Harper's mental stability.

I don't mean this in a rude manner. I'm simply stating something based on your comment.

Also, for the record, as far as Harper's mental stability is concerned, his "mental makeup" is quite likely his greatest and strongest attribute.

Last edited by Jason_19; 06-03-2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #703
All Star

authentic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_19
That is one of the most asinine things that I have ever read about Harper. I can say with absolute confidence that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. You shouldn't say or think that about anyone, unless you know that for a fact.

What I said applies to everything in this world. You should never believe what anyone says without researching and studying the facts for yourself and you can't do that with Harper's mental stability.

I don't mean this in a rude manner. I'm simply stating something based on your comment.

Also, for the record, as far as Harper's mental stability is concerned, his "mental makeup" is quite likely his greatest and strongest attribute.
After personally seeing him putting himself before his team on countless occasions at the JUCO WS, including getting ejected in their elimination game, pretty big game, sells it enough for me. Now, I understand that tempers can flare, but he did it in nearly every game in Colorado. I have played upper level baseball and have seen guys who are great kids, raised great, great outside the field, but sometimes when they play the game they can get out of hand a little bit. I am not saying Harper is going to be Milton Bradley, all I am saying is he has a history of being mentally unstable, and for people who may have actually seen him play, would know what I am talking about. Is he a bad kid? Absolutely not, he has a great makeup and is by no means going to be a liability off the field for the Nationals, and I don't think he will on the field, those types of things get fixed quickly with these caliber of players, and seeing how he is a great kid off the field, it probably won't take long for him to become level when things go wrong. Saying Harper was a liability to the Nationals mentally might have been way off on my part, I didn't think it through that he is their top prospect and didn't think about his great makeup and how he was brought up. But I will not take back what I said about him having a couple mental issues when things go wrong, because I have seen them unfold in person. I don't want to start an uproar, I am just stating what I've seen, if anyone has seen him play, maybe I just saw the wrong 5 or 6 games.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #704
All Star

authentic's Arena

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big...urn=mlb-236150

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_r...inely-disliked

Kevin Goldstein says Bryce Harper might have historically bad makeup:
“It’s impossible to find any talent evaluator who isn’t blown away by Harper’s ability on the field, but it’s equally difficult to find one who doesn’t genuinely dislike the kid. One scout called him among the worst amateur players he’s ever seen from a makeup standpoint, with top-of-the-scale arrogance, a disturbingly large sense of entitlement, and on-field behavior that includes taunting opponents. ‘He’s just a bad, bad guy,’ said one front-office official.”

Last edited by authentic; 06-03-2011 at 08:01 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Rosters »