Home

Default Sliders - Was Worried About Walks....

This is a discussion on Default Sliders - Was Worried About Walks.... within the MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
Rookie

nickaepi's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Default Sliders - Was Worried About Walks....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorov
First, I want to say I have been using TNK's and Psycho's sliders since they released them and had awesome games. However, I decided that since I never really gave the default sliders a good chance, to start a new Franchise using them and see how it went.

My main concern of course were drawing walks, as I have ALWAYS had problems with this, mostly my fault because I can be the most impatient person anyone has ever met.

Well, as the Angels, in my first game against the Royals, I was walked 5 times in the course of a 9 Inning game. Believe it or not, the most I have EVER received in any one game. I was completely shocked how I was able to get walked. In fact, my lead off batter in the very first inning was walked and one of my players was walked an incredible 3 times his first 3 at bats!

I want to continue these default sliders in the Franchise and see how it goes.

Btw, I use Knight's Opening Day Rosters(V2.0?), timing hitting and analog pitching and I play on All Star across the board.

An added note to the game, I lost 3-2. They went up with a solo shot, then I knocked in 2, they tied it up in the 8th and then in the bottom of the 9th, I blew it. And I mean I blew it, not the computer.
I would love to see your progress on this. My main reason for wanting to go back to default is the fielding. My fielders just seem too slow to react to anything with TNK's sliders, even slow hit ground balls I can't catch up to sometimes. I dunno. I go thru this every year. slider hell..and I hate it.

3DS- Bravely Default
Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #10
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorov
Wow, your stats for the Giants are VERY close to actual stats from 2010. Are you playing every game or do you sim some? Your HR's and 2B's are very slightly over what they did in 2010. I absolutely LOVE when a sports game can get this accurate while actually playing.
I think I've simmed 3 games. Definitely no more than 4 or 5.

My ERA is pretty high for SF, but it's headed in the right direction.

Keep in mind, the reduction to CPU Timing is a relatively recent change (maybe 10 games ago). I did this to combat the CPU's ability to make contact with 2 strikes (on HOF) but I MAY head back to Defaults now that I've reacquainted myself with my The Show 10' chair-to-television proximity. I lost it's sweet spot for 11' for some reason. Anyway, I'm currently 4th (I think) in the team rankings in the K department.

Speaking of K's, I've gotta say, it's strange. I lead all of MLB in K's with Tim Lincecum, thanks to a 10 K performance last night, but am pretty run-of-the-mill with the rest of my staff. My advice would be for those to REALLY focus on hitting your spots on the meter if you want to fool the CPU with your 2-5 starters.

Offensively, I couldn't be happier. Aside from my SO numbers, my games feel pretty authentic. Since I have a few points to spare in the AVG category, I may begin using contact more often with less than two strikes with my weaker hitters.

Last edited by Heroesandvillains; 08-10-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Rookie

Suvorov's Arena

OVR: 3

Just as a follow up. I am averaging about 2 BB's per game since that 5 BB game. I know I can get more but I really have to practice my patience at the plate. I am sure I could get 3 a game easily, but I get anxious and frustrated when I am not scoring and swing at anything in the Strike Zone even when I should probably not swing and wait for a better pitch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Taking pitches was one of the toughest things for me to learn with The Show. I used to swing at everything, just out of habit, really. Now, I'm much more patient at the plate and it helps, not only in drawing walks, but when it comes to hitting, both with runners on base and nobody on.

Now, there's still games where the CPU will have me off-balance and I'll strikeout 10-12 times in a game. But, most games I can keep it around 4-8, and I'm good with that. I will have games where I don't walk at all, but then I'll turn around and walk 5 times the next night. I am averaging almost 3 walks a game, so that's a huge improvement for me.

I'm playing on All-Star with almost 100% default sliders. I lowered HUM/CPU Power -1, Pitch Speed -2 (personal preference), CPU Consistency -1, CPU Strike Frequency -2 and HUM/CPU Reliever Stamina -3.

I'm sure I could go back to all default (aside from Pitch Speed and Reliever Stamina) and I'd be able to draw walks at the same rate I am currently. This series does play great "out of the box", which is very refreshing compared to a lot of other games.
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Old 09-05-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
Banned

NimitsTexan's Arena

OVR: 4

I sort of noticed the opposite. Initially after lower strike frequency, drew all kind of walks . . . but then it seemed the CPU learned my tendancies, and is almost never throws it out of the zone more than 2-3 times per at bat (even on high pitch count at bats), reducing me to less than a walk per game, on average.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitsTexan
I sort of noticed the opposite. Initially after lower strike frequency, drew all kind of walks . . . but then it seemed the CPU learned my tendancies, and is almost never throws it out of the zone more than 2-3 times per at bat (even on high pitch count at bats), reducing me to less than a walk per game, on average.
I have gradually raised strike frequency from -4 to -1 (close to default) on H of F mode thinking I was going to destroy my walk opportunities and nothing could be further from the truth.

I am walking too much at the expense of hits. My hits are averaging 3-7 per game with very few games in the 10+ column.

Walks should not be a problem in this game regardless of the sliders. I now believe after so much experimentation and reading some really good slider discussions, particurlary CHD, Bob, Heroes and too many to mention, that the goal of sliders is to find balance and not just isolate one metric such as walks.

Set strike frequency too low and a good eye will make the cpu throw well over 138 pitches per game. Surely walks should be had when the cpu's arm is about to fall off.

When lowering strike frequency, my walks were good but I paid for it with high strikeouts. After so many games, the walks averaged out but the k's continued.

Once I moved strike frequency closer to default, my strikeouts were closer to real boxscores (5-6) and my walks still ranked in the top 20th percentile.

The cpu will throw strikes when behind and nibble when ahead. It pitches around certain hitters and challenges certain hitters, compared to the barrage of black painting that was resulting in walks and strikeouts yet few runs and few hits with certain sliders too low.

Keep in mind that the cpu confidence meter has alot to do with drawing walks and striking out. Sliders won't rule over a confident pitcher.

The one slider that has recently made a difference for me is the consistency slider this year. Pitchers that would never walk me such as Carl Pavano will pitch around my best hitters if no men are on base.

Of course once men are on base he is capable of fileting me like a dead flounder!

Last edited by pberardi; 09-07-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
All Star

crques's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by pberardi
I have gradually raised strike frequency from -4 to -1 (close to default) on H of F mode thinking I was going to destroy my walk opportunities and nothing could be further from the truth.

I am walking too much at the expense of hits. My hits are averaging 3-7 per game with very few games in the 10+ column.

Walks should not be a problem in this game regardless of the sliders. I now believe after so much experimentation and reading some really good slider discussions, particurlary CHD, Bob, Heroes and too many to mention, that the goal of sliders is to find balance and not just isolate one metric such as walks.

Set strike frequency too low and a good eye will make the cpu throw well over 138 pitches per game. Surely walks should be had when the cpu's arm is about to fall off.

When lowering strike frequency, my walks were good but I paid for it with high strikeouts. After so many games, the walks averaged out but the k's continued.

Once I moved strike frequency closer to default, my strikeouts were closer to real boxscores (5-6) and my walks still ranked in the top 20th percentile.

The cpu will throw strikes when behind and nibble when ahead. It pitches around certain hitters and challenges certain hitters, compared to the barrage of black painting that was resulting in walks and strikeouts yet few runs and few hits with certain sliders too low.

Keep in mind that the cpu confidence meter has alot to do with drawing walks and striking out. Sliders won't rule over a confident pitcher.

The one slider that has recently made a difference for me is the consistency slider this year. Pitchers that would never walk me such as Carl Pavano will pitch around my best hitters if no men are on base.

Of course once men are on base he is capable of fileting me like a dead flounder!
So what do your sliders look like now? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #16
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crques
So what do your sliders look like now? Thanks.

Bobhead's sliders for H of F with the exception that I have Strike Frequency at 4, he has it at 5. I have consistency at 2, he has it at one.

I'm thinking about moving the cpu control from 4 back to default because I see no difference in control. Ironically, I get more pitches down the middle with control at default than with it at 4.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen > MLB The Show Last Gen Sliders »