Home

A few general MLB Questions

This is a discussion on A few general MLB Questions within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
MVP

dave360's Arena

OVR: 17
A few general MLB Questions

I bought a ps3 along with a copy of MLB and have a few general questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering them. These weren't answered in the manual and I'm a noob to the series.

1. Is the pitching meter exactly like MVP's? Should I run it into the red, let go of the button, then hit it again in the white part, or should I stop it before the red?

2. Do most of you pitch what the catcher wants or shake him off? I've noticed that my catcher almost never calls for anything other than a fastball, 2 seamer, or changeup. He really never calls for sliders, curves, slurves, etc.

3. In franchise mode, can you play your minor league games? I'm using Knight's current roster set and notice that I can play as the minor league teams in exhibition mode, but don't see an option for it in the franchise mode section.

4. How do you unlock the classic teams and unlockables?

Thanks for any replies fellas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2007, 11:22 AM   #2
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: A few general MLB Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave360
I bought a ps3 along with a copy of MLB and have a few general questions if anyone wouldn't mind answering them. These weren't answered in the manual and I'm a noob to the series.

1. Is the pitching meter exactly like MVP's? Should I run it into the red, let go of the button, then hit it again in the white part, or should I stop it before the red?

2. Do most of you pitch what the catcher wants or shake him off? I've noticed that my catcher almost never calls for anything other than a fastball, 2 seamer, or changeup. He really never calls for sliders, curves, slurves, etc.

3. In franchise mode, can you play your minor league games? I'm using Knight's current roster set and notice that I can play as the minor league teams in exhibition mode, but don't see an option for it in the franchise mode section.

4. How do you unlock the classic teams and unlockables?

1. I can't really say about the pitching meter...I don't use it. I'm sure other will elaborate.

2. I'm pretty sure they call mostly for your #1 or #2 pitches, so if you change a pitchers first pitch to say a slider...they will call for that I think. I just shake them off when I actually play.

3. You can play minor league games in a franchise. When you click on a gameday on the schedule and then choose to either play/manage/simulate games...you will see the MLB/AAA and AA matchups come up. Just highlight the game you wish to play and viola!.....Good choice in rosters by the way!

M.K.
Knight165
Old 08-03-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
RIP Ty My Buddy

nemesis04's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:

1. The meter in the show is a little more involved than the one in MVP, imo. The first tap starts the meter, the second button press would be for velocity and the third button press would be for the release point. Hitting the white mark would be for the perfect release point, just before it would result in releasing a little higher and after the mark would result in a pitch possible going into the dirt from hanging on too long. Just remember that your pitch location is where the break of the pitch will be and not its final destination like in MVP.

As far as velocity goes, it really depends on the pitch you want to throw. I would not recommend every pitch being thrown at full throttle. You can use the velocity to play areound with breaking pitches. More velocity would cause sharper breaks and vice-versa.

2. I would turn API off. You can do a better job of calling a game than your cpu catcher. The cpu tends to concentrate on a pitcher's 2 best pitches.

Let me know if you want to catch a game online! psn: nemesis04
Old 08-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
MVP

dave360's Arena

Thanks for the answers fellas!!!
Old 08-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #5
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Thanks for the answers fellas!!!
I 2nd this thanks as well. I will have the Show and a PS3 within a few hours.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #6
MVP

dave360's Arena

LOL I bet the Show has sold as many PS3's as Resistance did at the beginning.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
LOL I bet the Show has sold as many PS3's as Resistance did at the beginning.
The Show is what made me but the PS3. I still cant get over how great this game is.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM   #8
T*rg*t F**ld

bergie56's Arena

OVR: 18

The copy I got from Gamestop didn't come with a manual so I have had to try to figure things out on my own. How does the hitting work? Am I able to try to "aim" where I am trying to hit or what? All I know is square is power, X is contact and circle is bunt. I have hit a ton of ground balls back up the middle. Thanks! Can anyone give me some advice?

Also, Is it possible to perform take-out slides?

Last edited by bergie56; 08-04-2007 at 08:48 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »