Home

so I played my first game with CPU comeback set to ON

This is a discussion on so I played my first game with CPU comeback set to ON within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #801
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: so I played my first game with CPU comeback set to ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla
While we are discussing broken options, the Variable Strike Zone "Off", in which all pitches are supposed to be called "perfectly", is broken. I've thrown pitches that are 100% inside the strike zone, and they have been called balls. "Perfectly" my ***.
Please don't take offense, as this is a genuine question:

Do you like ANYTHING about the game? I'm asking because you seem awefully peeved about it and seem borderline hostile to the devs and anyone else who offers alternative views on things. I mean, if a game bugged me this much, I certainly wouldn't keep on with it...lol.

Just curious.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #802
Rookie

OVR: 2

I had the mother of all meltdowns tonight.

Up 9-2 in the top of the 7th. I'm Texas vs Kansas City.

McCarthy is CRUISING. This game's in the bag.
WRONG!

7 STRAIGHT cpu hits to lead off the 7th inning. Two homers and two BS plays in the field later... It's 9-9 before I even register an OUT!

I regrab the lead 11-9 in the 8th inning.

Flash forward...top 9, Frank Fransuckso is in...two quick outs...followed by two SCREAMERS puts men on 2nd and 3rd.

Mound visit.

i walk Miguel freaking Olivo. Callaspo ropes a double into the corner on a full count. Tied 11-11. Dejesus is next, base hit, his SIXTH of the game. Down 12-11.

I score one to tie it in the bottom of the 9th, and then I finally won it in the 12th with a Salty base hit.

But come on. Texas is bad, but I was so beyond mad I didn't even enjoy this win. It's so obvious at times what is going to happen. This was with CPU Comeback ON, so I honestly have no idea if it makes a difference anymore.

Just once I'd like to win 9-2. Just once. I don't even mind that they come back, but it was relentless. It happens way too often.

That said...I still love this game!
Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 PM   #803
MVP

VanillaGorilla's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Please don't take offense, as this is a genuine question:

Do you like ANYTHING about the game? I'm asking because you seem awefully peeved about it and seem borderline hostile to the devs and anyone else who offers alternative views on things. I mean, if a game bugged me this much, I certainly wouldn't keep on with it...lol.

Just curious.
Yes. I love the game. That's the problem. There's so many things to like about the game, but the comeback AI is such a game killer, it's destroying all of my enjoyment in this game. And I don't appreciate the developers attitude about it at all, with all that "red shirt" nonsense. It's patronizing, and it cost them a customer come next year.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #804
R**k**

whosgotcha's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner1
What level you playing on?
Rookie LOL
Old 04-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #805
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder23
I had the mother of all meltdowns tonight.

Up 9-2 in the top of the 7th. I'm Texas vs Kansas City.

McCarthy is CRUISING. This game's in the bag.
WRONG!

7 STRAIGHT cpu hits to lead off the 7th inning. Two homers and two BS plays in the field later... It's 9-9 before I even register an OUT!

I regrab the lead 11-9 in the 8th inning.

Flash forward...top 9, Frank Fransuckso is in...two quick outs...followed by two SCREAMERS puts men on 2nd and 3rd.

Mound visit.

i walk Miguel freaking Olivo. Callaspo ropes a double into the corner on a full count. Tied 11-11. Dejesus is next, base hit, his SIXTH of the game. Down 12-11.

I score one to tie it in the bottom of the 9th, and then I finally won it in the 12th with a Salty base hit.

But come on. Texas is bad, but I was so beyond mad I didn't even enjoy this win. It's so obvious at times what is going to happen. This was with CPU Comeback ON, so I honestly have no idea if it makes a difference anymore.

Just once I'd like to win 9-2. Just once. I don't even mind that they come back, but it was relentless. It happens way too often.

That said...I still love this game!
lol, you answered your own question
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #806
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Yes. I love the game. That's the problem. There's so many things to like about the game, but the comeback AI is such a game killer, it's destroying all of my enjoyment in this game. And I don't appreciate the developers attitude about it at all, with all that "red shirt" nonsense. It's patronizing, and it cost them a customer come next year.
Their attitude?

lol

They answer all our questions, post regularly while helping the community despite certain people screaming that the sky is falling.

From reading your posts and the developers' and yours, it's clear who has the attitude
Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #807
All Star

SoxFan01605's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Fair enough. I think it could be a matter of perspective though. I've had no issue with "comeback AI" at all, while you apparently have. Isn't it fair to say what Brian said was likely taken in the context of our individual experiences with the game in this regard?

When I read Brian's comment, it seemed to me he just confirmed it wasn't a programming issue and simply mused at the effects of perception with regards to those seeing it. It was an analogy said in generally good humor...I didn't think he was trying to be patronizing or condescending with it. You read it as a patronizing remark meant to dismiss your experience. I would say that's perspective driven.

The only thing he dismissed, based on his direct knowledge, is the programming being a factor. He even encouraged and furthered the discussion as to why it may be seen (in the other "comeback to ON" thread) aside from the programming itself.

It's simply a diverging viewpoint as to why this is occuring with such inconsistency (meaning inconsistency with various people seeing it vs not seeing it. Not with those who actually are seeing it). It's rooted in more knowledge than most of us could offer (on either side of the argument) since he's the one who actually programmed the thing.

In any case, it's a shame to let something like that pile onto your frustration and ruin future enjoyment of the series, IMO. To each his own, of course.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:36 PM   #808
Banned

OVR: 23

I just got this game so my opinion might not be based on that many games, but i havent seen a hint of comeback code either. I'm 3-0 so far and no comebacks.... All games were realistic and yeah the cpu would try to make a rally and stuff but maybe its because i was smart enough to shut their *** down? that's one thing i really like about this game so far. Maybe i'm imagining things but the AI seems humanlike and you can feel them breaking down or getting hot and you have to adjust. Sometimes you think you have the cpu down and out and you get lazy and they will bomb a homerun off you. I like that though. I like how if you come out erratic to start the game the cpu will jump on you sometimes. Stuff like that.

Last edited by kGinGreen; 04-01-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »