Home

Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability

This is a discussion on Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-30-2010, 08:05 AM   #81
L*st M*n R*nn*ng

Blaise's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability

Just to add alittle to this conversation that I think is a good example of the problem the OF playing too deep covers. I was playing yesterday vs Hou. Francoeur hits rips a frozen rope into left center that in real life would absolutely make it to the wall because Carlos Lee @ normal depth would not have been able to cut it off. However, because normal depth is so far back he easily cuts it off and holds me to a single. I remember thinking that there was no way he'd get to it in RL, even as the announcer says that the hit should be extra bases.

Same game, runners on 1st and 2nd, Castillo turns on a pitch and hits a laser to RF wall which should have been a stand up 2B with both runners scoring. But because Pence(?) was able to be in close proximity to the ball, the game forced the runner@ 2nd to tag up, when in RL the OF would have had to play it off the wall because 1, they would never play Castillo deep, n 2, it was a well struck ball that if he was 50ft back from his starting position, instinctively he would have been looking to play it off the richochet.

I'll cosign what many have said in this thread already, its not a game killer, but it does take alittle of the realism away, and probably costs you over the course of 162, 30-40 XBH.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #82
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise
Just to add alittle to this conversation that I think is a good example of the problem the OF playing too deep covers. I was playing yesterday vs Hou. Francoeur hits rips a frozen rope into left center that in real life would absolutely make it to the wall because Carlos Lee @ normal depth would not have been able to cut it off. However, because normal depth is so far back he easily cuts it off and holds me to a single. I remember thinking that there was no way he'd get to it in RL, even as the announcer says that the hit should be extra bases.

Same game, runners on 1st and 2nd, Castillo turns on a pitch and hits a laser to RF wall which should have been a stand up 2B with both runners scoring. But because Pence(?) was able to be in close proximity to the ball, the game forced the runner@ 2nd to tag up, when in RL the OF would have had to play it off the wall because 1, they would never play Castillo deep, n 2, it was a well struck ball that if he was 50ft back from his starting position, instinctively he would have been looking to play it off the richochet.

I'll cosign what many have said in this thread already, its not a game killer, but it does take alittle of the realism away, and probably costs you over the course of 162, 30-40 XBH.
Thanks for sharing and I would encourage anyone who feels strongly about this to leave a comment in the feedback forum. I don't think we need to flood the lines, but if this is on their list more than once they're likely to take it more seriously.

Plus it's getting close to the point where they stop accepting feedback (I believe there's a week or two left).
Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #83
Banned

bigjake62505's Arena

OVR: 22

When you adjust the fielders speed and reaction time sliders does it help? I have not played the game very much yet but when I do play it seems hits in the alley and deep get caught to often.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #84
Rookie

OVR: 1

Here's three examples from last night with my RTTS center fielder, who is only rated speed C (72).

1. Ran about 45 degrees back and toward LF right to catch a ball on the warning track, an A, maybe B speed player should have caught this, but I only got to this because I was already so close.

2. Ran about 45 degrees back and toward RF, and stood at the wall for about a second, waiting for the ball (which my CF made no effort to catch as it went right past me and bounced off the wall).

and here's the big one:

3. Bottom of the 12th, man on 1st and 3rd, only 1 out. I moved my CF as shallow as I could possibly get. Ball is hit over my head, maybe 5 feet toward LF, and almost toward the warning track. From a true shallow position, the fastest CFs in baseball would have a hard time running that one down. I was still so far back that with my C speed, I had time to circle around the ball indicator and line up behind the ball for a running start, and this was not a high floating flyball.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 AM   #85
Rookie

OVR: 3

The way I see it speed is not main problem, acceleration and cpu reaction time are.

I've seen AI immidiatelly run toward the right position after deep hit that rolled some 30 feet along the wall.
And acceleration is a problem for both RTTS player and AIs. Its just too high. Not even short track sprinters are able to accelarate to top speed in such a short time, its just unreal. And there is also NO difference betwean acceleration of 90 speed player and 20 speed player. This is a big problem, imho. Also players don't loose speed while turning at top speed and all looks very odd. As RTTS RF with 30ish speed I often mistake the ball and run away from deep fly ball, but I'm still able to turn for 180° and easily catch them. My speed is still too low for many balls, but I immagine that what Cozar has, should be more than enough for all 'normal' situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #86
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserrock
The way I see it speed is not main problem, acceleration and cpu reaction time are.

I've seen AI immidiatelly run toward the right position after deep hit that rolled some 30 feet along the wall.
And acceleration is a problem for both RTTS player and AIs. Its just too high.
I would agree with this very much.

Defensive jumps in general are far too good in this game, not only that but the guys with the great jumps. I know every dog has his day and a broken watch is right twice a day and all that, but below average fielders continually get to balls and make plays they have no business making. It works for me and against me, so it "balances out", but it does decrease realism and increase arcadism.

For specific examples, I'm talking about Sandoval and Encarnacion taking away multiple runs in the same game with outstanding divining plays that they would never make IRL. combine that with Travis Snider's Gutierrez impression in CF, and you end up with games featuring supressed offense, or games where the only runs are those driven in by homers. Even hits up the middle seem to hit the pitcher far too often (like every other game). It was like this on MVP as well, where the pitchers were part hockey goalie, part mongoose.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #87
Rookie

OVR: 6

im a math major and i love things like this, would you like me to take accurate screenshots and work out a perfect scale of feet/in game feet comparisons?
Old 03-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #88
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58

(Shallow Alignment vs. where it should be)

(Normal alignment vs. where it should be)

(Deep Alignment vs. where it should be)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiphopgamer26
im a math major and i love things like this, would you like me to take accurate screenshots and work out a perfect scale of feet/in game feet comparisons?
I posted these back on the first page of the thread and invited others to come up with screen shots that show what we're talking about, so by all means go for it.

Keep in mind though, we know from the devs that they are aware that they have the outfielders playing too deep. So the discussion at this time isn't so much "IF" they are misaligned, but "What impact" that has on the video game -- and if there is an impact.

I would love to see what you come up with though, my math expertise maxed out in 4th grade

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »