Home

Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability

This is a discussion on Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Fixing God-like Outfielder Ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
I won't hold you to it, but I trust you know what you're talking about. If this is the case, I don't understand why there isn't an option in the game for the user to adjust this. When the devs see that there are too many home runs, you are provided a slider to adjust it. Why not do the same thing for outfield depth? And as far as balance goes.. I've seen three gap doubles since i bought the game. Hardly balanced.

I would say the moral of my story is for the devs to consider making a change to the options they give users, because I feel they have overcompensated. Your observation, however, is spot on in terms of a here-and-now fix that we can employ.

When you go into a game, switch controllers and set the outfield alignment to "shallow" for the entire team for the entire game. Unfortunately, there are times when deep alignment is necessary. And there are players that need to be played with extreme alignments. And, be careful of using "straight away" alignment because the CF is placed in line with the pitcher/catcher...not good.

For now though, that's a great point and I would suggest everyone do that and see what your results are regarding gap hits and doubles over outfielders' heads.
If i switch teams and set the cpu to play shallow then switch back to my team doesn't the cpu reset their outfield to what they want?
Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #18
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball66
If i switch teams and set the cpu to play shallow then switch back to my team doesn't the cpu reset their outfield to what they want?
I was just testing this out and came back to comment on it. The sad answer is, yes. The CPU resets their defense so there is no fix for this.

SCEA, help?
Old 03-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #19
CPT
Banned

CPT's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
And as far as balance goes.. I've seen three gap doubles since i bought the game. Hardly balanced
Not trying to be difficult here but if you hit a shot into the gap, how much is the depth of the OF really going to prevent a double?

....and not to sound like the "not on my copy" guy, but I am seeing quite a few doubles to the gaps....I have not broken it down by % (and dont want to) as I know I see more down the line than the gaps..... but I see them, and not because the OF dove either.....

Furthermore.... if a guy doesnt typically hit it to the alleys, do we want him ripping shots into them? I don't.

Last edited by CPT; 03-26-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #20
Banned

interesting
Old 03-26-2010, 11:42 PM   #21
Pro

OVR: 8

I haven't played MLB the show '10 yet, but i did play '09 A TON...and this was the main issue i had w/ the game, it is glaring...as you said. I had to end up maxing out my slider for baserunner speed to get realistic number of doubles (i didn't think of lowering outfielder's speed/which would be a pain) I appreciate you bringing this to the forefront. Because i spent a lot of time last year toiling over this issue, trying to get my extra base hit numbers SOMEWHAT realistic...i hope someone from SCEA see's this soon, and maybe we will get a patch.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #22
Jedi Master

Rob_NYY's Arena

OVR: 21

I agree that outfielders play too deep. I have played about 40 full games ths far, and I have only seen a ball go directly over an outfielder once or twice.

Shouldn't this be posted in the feedback forum?
Old 03-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #23
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT
Not trying to be difficult here but if you hit a shot into the gap, how much is the depth of the OF really going to prevent a double?

....and not to sound like the "not on my copy" guy, but I am seeing quite a few doubles to the gaps....I have not broken it down by % (and dont want to) as I know I see more down the line than the gaps..... but I see them, and not because the OF dove either.....

Furthermore.... if a guy doesnt typically hit it to the alleys, do we want him ripping shots into them? I don't.
I'm not saying everything hit into the gap should be a double. I'm saying that if an outfielder is playing where they should be given the situation (Normal alignment), that a deep hit between Center and left or right, should not be caught given the trajectory and how hard it is hit. I'm not going to get into "types of hits" because that's an endless discussion that we can't all agree on "what should have been."

I'm talking about the obvious deep shots to the gap, where the outfielder is playing "normal" which is actually 30 feet deeper than he should be.

Which leads to your question... does it matter a player's depth when running something down in the gap? Absolutely!

Is it easier for you to run 20 feet to your left... OR... to run to a spot that is 20 feet to your left, but also 30 feet behind you? It has to do with the distance you have to cover.

The outfielders are catching the deep shots to the gaps because they play too deep and have too short a distance to travel to get there.

And for your final statement. No, I don't want a guy who doesn't typically rip one to the gap suddenly ripping them to the gap. But this isn't going to cause the hitter to smash the ball. This has nothing to do with what the hitter does. This has everything to do with what the outfielder does. A player is going to hit the ball to the same spot regardless if there are outfielders in the game or not. The point is that the outfielders are getting to balls that they should not, given a realistic "normal" alignment.

As for the comment about the devs compensating for proper realism... When the outfielders are out of position, that sacrifices realism. When the outfielders get to balls they shouldn't be getting to... that sacrifices realism. The devs know the game isn't perfect, that's why there are sliders to tailor to each player's skill level. This is something that is beyond sliders (although i would love the ability to adjust fielder depth in a slider) and it impacts every batted ball that is hit to the outfield.

Another example... with a runner on 2nd, would you be more willing to give up the run on a single to stop a double in the gap? That is unrealistic. And if ur players were posistioned correctly... u would be more likely to keep sliders at 6-9 for speed and reaction to cut down on triples... but a ball in the gap should only be run down 4 times out of 10... not 9 out of 10. The fact that if you have a player on 2nd... and you smash one to the gap.... when in real life the run scores and you replace him on 2nd cuz they were cutting the run on a single.... now.... there is an out and the runner is still on 2nd or the inning is over... I don't know anyone who would call that realistic?

And to respond to a later post. I'm all for this being posted in the "feedback" forum, however, I think it deserves it's own discussion for the time being.

Last edited by jmik58; 03-27-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #24
Banned

Yes this is still a problem, yet every year we hear how it has improved, and it has, but still not where it should be.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »