Home

Why prospect progression needs work

This is a discussion on Why prospect progression needs work within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 02-14-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Why prospect progression needs work

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddguuns
I'm not going to jump all over you here, but basic math shows that the Show could institute these exact percentages, if they wanted. The top 100 represents 30 team's prospects over multiple drafts. At any give time, in the game, the minor leagues have upwards of 75 players.

And besides, who cares about percentages? That isn't the problem. This can be done easily, based on the numbers the game already uses. With 5-ish rounds fo the draft, each draft adds approximately 150 new players to the game (per year in franchise mode). With some time and creative programming, there is no reason the Show could not mimmick the star-to-bust ratios of real life.

What is being said in the thread, is that it would be nice to draft guys based on attributes, and see what happens when they are mismanaged in the system or injured, or even underdeveloped.

In fact, NFL Head Coach '09 does this to an extent. When a player gets drafted, he has a non-static potential rating. With injuries and bad performance comes a drop in the potential rating. In many cases, misused players never play up to their potential.

So, these percentages is not what anyone is after, it's the ability to see that 144th pick in the draft out play his initial ratings and become a star or that 3rd pick in the draft go the way of Antone Williamson.

In all honesty, my math sees this being a fairly easy modification. I would like to see your math if you think it can't be done.

My whole point was that it was not easy and that comparisons to real life numbers are difficult at best. But since you know that coding these things into the game is "fairly easy" there is no point in continuing.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
Rookie

WB1214's Arena

OVR: 3

There would be nearly no way to do this in the Show, it would be really difficult. And when roster makers make these players, they make them according to their projections, which we get from the guys at BA and ESPN, etc. So guys that are highly regarded are going to be highly rated to put them in a position to progress to the point we feel that they are.
About the only thing they could do would be to have injuries or poor stats affect their progression, but that's not something that most would want to be done, because a 19 year old may have a bad year and could offset his progress to much, or something like that.

It would be tough to implement
Old 02-15-2011, 12:21 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

It is funny I see a thread on this because this is actually something I was going to test almost as soon as I got '11 never really tested it before and never really get far enough in my franchise to see if all the A prospects are making it and none are busting or if there are some dime a dozen Cs that really progress past there expectations.

I too have put a little research into this because like I said it was something I was planning on testing when '11 came out to see how prospect's potentials and there potential to bust is handled.....I found this good article too on it....

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=9013

As you can see in the article 51 percent of 1st and 2nd round picks make it to the majors.....He also did a test to see what percent of guys that made it actually had successful seasons once they made it.

I don't understand why every1 thinks this is "Impossible" to implement into this game though.....because sheer # of prospects makes it impossible? Say you start your franchise you have 75 prospects already on your team say you start with 6 A prospects if the game programs a certain bust ratio for each letter grade of prospects saying 1/2 of your A prospects bust, 2/3 of your B prospects bust or what not you would still have enough prospects making impact in your farm system....and if you did get unlucky with a influx of busts well then make some key moves or FA pick ups or deplete your farm system to compete I mean there are other answers than yea I don't need a SS because this A prospect is for sure my next star there....teams that think like that in real life get burned all the time too so it would really add depth to managing your farm system IMO if you did have to plan back up plans if your A goes the way of bust.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaas
This would be good as long as we also got the players drafted in the later rounds that have the potential to become stars.
Exactly! I want my C prospect to turn into an A.
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out
Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 AM   #13
Rookie

maddguuns's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTyrant
I don't understand why every1 thinks this is "Impossible" to implement into this game though.....because sheer # of prospects makes it impossible? Say you start your franchise you have 75 prospects already on your team say you start with 6 A prospects if the game programs a certain bust ratio for each letter grade of prospects saying 1/2 of your A prospects bust, 2/3 of your B prospects bust or what not you would still have enough prospects making impact in your farm system....and if you did get unlucky with a influx of busts well then make some key moves or FA pick ups or deplete your farm system to compete I mean there are other answers than yea I don't need a SS because this A prospect is for sure my next star there....teams that think like that in real life get burned all the time too so it would really add depth to managing your farm system IMO if you did have to plan back up plans if your A goes the way of bust.
This is what I was trying to say. In fact, it's already programmed in...right now, all players play up to their potential ratings, but at different speeds, based on training and some other factor we can't figure out. Potential can be altered to range up and down. It's just a matter of making the limits stay away from extremes.

What I mean is...if the programming is set to be 50% of 1st and 2nd rounder becoming solid players, then they have to make sure its not 100% from one draft and 0% from another draft...the extremes need to be avoided.

But, apparently, programming is just too hard to even try. At least that's what some people are telling me.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #14
Banned

OVR: 32

You know, I used the OS Full Minors roster and if anything, I felt most of the good prospects didn't turn into anything special. No one, aside from Dustin Ackley and Strasburg, became perennial all-stars. Stanton was good and hit a lot of home runs, but he wasn't that great. Neither was Heyward.

I guess I'm just not seeing the problem... It seems like a big percentage of the prospects never became anything special.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Also, another thing that complicates the matter is the fact that something like Baseball America's top prospects doesn't necessarily reflect true abilities of players. There have been so many overhyped prospects in the past, you know.

For example, reading the statement "About 70% of Baseball America top 100 prospects fail," depending on the perspective (like pretending injuries don't matter) we may also say "70% of top 100 prospects have been overrated by Baseball America."

So, one factor why you see so many "A" potential players end up becoming great players in games is because in games those "ratings" tend to reflect how they really perform, because game engine uses them directly. It's like exposing DNAs of individuals and what they obtain through nurture entirely, which never happens in real life.

Yeah, I know I don't like "hidden" potential or hidden ratings either, but all the uncertainties involved in real lives makes things is difficult (though interesting).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayman
You do realize that to match these percentages the game would have to have the exact same amount of minor league teams as real clubs have right? And please don't say "well then do that" as if it's that easy to include.
No Winterball or Mexican leagues lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »