Home

MLB 12 The Show Video - Pulse Pitching, Zone Analog Batting, Broadcast Presentation

This is a discussion on MLB 12 The Show Video - Pulse Pitching, Zone Analog Batting, Broadcast Presentation within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #161
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: MLB 12 The Show Video - Pulse Pitching, Zone Analog Batting, Broadcast Presentati

Man, my only complaint is the pulse pitching meter. I love the idea, but I don't understand how people like the idea of having a large pulsating circle distracting you and giving you a headache.

It gives it such an arcade feel and look to it, sort of takes away some of the immersion. The regular meter was much more low key, and the classic pitching is so clean it feels like you're watching a real game.

Everything else is looking good. I also hope some of the animations are cleaner, and less predictable especially in the OF.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2012, 03:17 AM   #162
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: MLB 12 The Show Video - Pulse Pitching, Zone Analog Batting, Broadcast Presentati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black59Razr
In 11, you would see a canned animation of an outfielder taking a step back on a line drive, then run forward for a single in front of him. And sometimes you would see a defender take a step in, then run back for a ball over his head. This would happen about once every 75 games. What I am asking, is for this to occur at a more realistic pace; perhaps once per game.

I think the would create a butterfly effect in a positive way. If you dramatically increase the frequency of these 'canned' animations of player's misjudging line drives, there would be many, many more hits. This would require tweaking almost every other aspect of the game.
Yes I think this is the sort of plays that should be added more, if not already in MLB12. Not totally misjudging, but uncertainty in decision making process. Expanding on this, include some misjudgement in the paths that fielders make... That would make outfield plays very fun to watch. Apparently this is a difficult task than we might think (at least that's what devs have said).... I have some ideas, so do others, but I'm sure this is one aspect of the game we can look forward to seeing improvement in future.

Last edited by nomo17k; 01-12-2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: hmmm too many grammer mistakes. shouldn't check os when i cannot sleep.....
Old 01-12-2012, 03:28 AM   #163
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Perhaps I am expecting too much in this aspect of the game.

What do you think about the Carl Crawford example from a few posts back? Don't you agree the game is lacking that level of realism?

In 11, you would see a canned animation of an outfielder taking a step back on a line drive, then run forward for a single in front of him. And sometimes you would see a defender take a step in, then run back for a ball over his head. This would happen about once every 75 games. What I am asking, is for this to occur at a more realistic pace; perhaps once per game.

I think the would create a butterfly effect in a positive way. If you dramatically increase the frequency of these 'canned' animations of player's misjudging line drives, there would be many, many more hits. This would require tweaking almost every other aspect of the game.

But if I am in the minority in thinking OFs are vacuum cleaners in The Show, it would not be something worth taking a look at.
I'm not saying I don't agree, I'm saying that the ball physics won't make a change in the AI thought process. They see where the ball will go much like we do, through the game's visual aids. All of the behind the scene calculations make it so that the ball's spin and bounces are not unpredictable for the AI, no matter how they're written.

My other point was that they might re-write the AI to a fault where it happens too commonplace or it does something incredibly crazy sometimes (runs in forever and forgets to grab a ball at the wall or something), which even seeing that once in 10,000 games is inexcusable.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-12-2012, 04:35 AM   #164
SCEA Community Manager

Russell_SCEA's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
I was hoping the new ball physics would create a new awareness levels in the OFs.

More realistic ball physics means the ball will do more unpredictable things; slice, hook, dive, sail, etc. Therefore, the OFs will have a harder time making plays (so I hoped)

However, based on early video evidence, the OFs have been pre-ordained with the knowledge of this unpredictability. They are just as aware of where the ball will land as they were in 11; regardless of this new unpredictability. Therefore, new ball physics does not effect gameplay. Its just for ascetics.

Its like if you played OF in a softball league, then switched to a baseball league, you would have a hard time judging the spin of the ball. Flyballs do crazy things in baseball, compared to softball. The OF would not be able to play as aggressively as he did when he played softball.

You need look no further than MLB 11 The Show's RTTS mode. In RTTS, user OFs did not have the ball indicator appear instantly, therefore, you did a less perfect job. The user OF could not simply run full speed to the perfect spot at the crack of the bat. I wish they could put this logic into the CPU as well.

A perfect real life example is the last play of the season for the Red Sox. Carl Crawford trapped a line drive, costing them the season. That ball was extremely catchable; but he was unable to commit due to the line drives unpredictability.

If it was The Show, Crawford would have made the perfect read at the crack of the bat, making the catch, and going to the Playoffs; thus changing the course of history forever!
Ball physics and the paths OF's take to the ball has nothing to do with one another they are completely separate code lines done by completely separate programmers.

You are completely wrong the new ball physics changes the game play a lot. The new code has vastly improved the hit variety that changes gameplay, the new code now has the ball loosing energy like a real baseball that changes game play. The new code has added a larger variety of hit speeds that changes gameplay.

Last there more pursuit angles this year.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #165
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
the new ball physics changes the game play a lot. The new code has vastly improved the hit variety that changes gameplay, the new code now has the ball loosing energy like a real baseball that changes game play. The new code has added a larger variety of hit speeds that changes gameplay.

Last there more pursuit angles this year.
This alone makes the wait so much harder!

On the little snippets of gameplay footage I instantly noticed the ball being more alive and energetic off the bat.

Where everyone always has a mile long wishlist SCEA goes improving a part of the game that not many had on their list but will be such a gamechanger in the end.

Awesome stuff!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #166
Rookie

I like what I´m seeing out of these videos...a lot at that!

However, I also am not a big fan of the pulsating circle and its size, but I think I know why it is THAT big (correct me if I´m wrong):

If I remeber correctly, you´re supposed to press the pitch button when the circle is at its smallest size in order to get the highest possible accuracy. The size of the circle varies from pitcher to pitcher and their ability. Therefor a bigger sized circle just gives more variety where the pitch will actually be located in comparison to where it was intended to be located.

And that is actually a very good thing imo !

...Oh god, I hope so much that I am right ...!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #167
Brazilian A's Fan

brunnoce's Arena

OVR: 31

Being a classic pitch guy since mlb06, ill give it a shot at pulse pitching, sounds interesting enough for me, just about the amount of user input im willing to use(like classic pitching).
Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #168
Rookie

Bulls321974's Arena

Hi Ramone, first of all: I already love this game and can't wait to get a copy. The new cut scenes alone make this game a must-buy for any serious baseball fan and gamer!

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but when the in-game overlays pop up, it says for example: "CHASE UTLEY ... 2010: .259 AVG 11 HR 44 RBI". Shouldn't it be "2011"?

Last edited by Bulls321974; 01-13-2012 at 09:14 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »