Home

This game absolutely, 100% *needs* a "calibrate lag" feature

This is a discussion on This game absolutely, 100% *needs* a "calibrate lag" feature within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #97
All Star

authentic's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: This game absolutely, 100% *needs* a "calibrate lag" feature

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkligman
I did some testing with different modes on my 42" Vizio. I found a feature in Game Mode only called Fast Refresh(?) and it was set to OFF. I never saw that the day before but I turned it ON. It seemed to make a difference. The problem is, I didn't want to rely on what I "felt". That's why they run double blind tests because your brain can convince you of anything you want it to.

So I put in my Rock Band. The beauty of Rock Band's calibration is that it's done through hardware. It gives you an absolute value of the delay relative to their software.

Results:

42" Vizio in Non-Game Mode: 178ms delay
42" Vizio in Game Mode (Fast Refresh On): 70ms
42" Vizio in Game Mode (Fast Refresh Off): 178ms
26" Vizio in Game Mode: 44ms
32" Polaroid in Normal Mode: 20ms

From those numbers it's obvious that Game Mode makes a difference. It also shows that my 26" wasn't just imagination that I had more time. The Polaroid was my old TV and I happened to have written down it's delay and surprisingly, that 10 year old TV is faster than my new ones. I wish I had that back now!

It takes a 90Mph pitch 0.45 seconds to reach the plate. 0.45 second = 450ms. If I have approx. 70ms of delay, that's a reaction reduction of 15.5%. Pretty significant. And if I happened to have played originally with that Fast Response Off, then we're talking 39.5%! That would leave my 26" at a 9.7% reduction in response time. Apparently that 6% is huge because I can sit on the pitch for what seems like 2 to 3 times longer on that TV.

I'll need to do some research to see just where the ball should be in real life for a Professional Batter to start their swing. I'm pretty sure it will be very close to what I'm seeing on my 26" but I also feel like my 26" is what a no lag monitor would look like with Pitch Speed set to 10 whereas I'm running it 0 to have any chance of recognizing the pitch.
My TV has a 0.0001 ms delay.

Guys, this is not a game issue. Every single game delays. It's not the game, trust me. Find a friend who has a plasma TV and ask him to hook up your PS3 and play. Play on a standard definition TV that doesn't have HD. Lower end TV's like Vizio, Magnavox, LG, Insignia, Toshiba, etc are going to lag more than the Samsung, Sony, Sharp TV's. I have an old Magnavox 1080p tv, a Sharp Aquos LED, and an Panasonic Plasma and I can tell the difference going from one to another. I have noticed the difference in lag going from my Sharp to my plasma on Battlefield and Mass Effect as well.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #98
MVP

sydrogerdavid's Arena

OVR: 27

I think we only need to calibrate lag with the Move.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #99
All Star

authentic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I haven't noticed any lag, but I agree with the OP. This feature is really a no-brainer. The lag might be the TV's fault, but there's no reason why a calibrate lag feature can't be added to software, or even the PS3 itself. Other games already have it.
No sports game has one though. I think a calibration sort of software for the PS3 would be cool. A program that will tell you how much input lag your TV is giving you. I doubt we will ever see this in game because once OLED comes out, you guys won't be complaining about lag anymore.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #100
Pro

OVR: 24

I don't even know what OLED means.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #101
All Star

authentic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
I don't even know what OLED means.
OLED is the future of TV's. The topic of them has been huge these last couple years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #102
Rookie

Deutscher's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1011
I might have fixed my issue I’m now early on the accuracy zone and seem to be hitting better.

Here is what I changed on my TV:

Menu > Settings > Game Mode - On

Menu > Picture > More > Advanced Picture

Smooth motion effect - “High”

Real cinema mode - “Smooth”

I tried a couple of innings and it seems better actually I now have to completely adjust the other way now I am way ahead on the accuracy mark. But I’ll have to fully test this out tomorrow.
I would definitely turn these options off:
Smooth motion effect - “High”

Real cinema mode - “Smooth”
Old 03-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #103
Rookie

OVR: 4
Hey guys while I'm no expert my recent experience going through three tv's till I found one with satisfactory input lag (panasonic plasma).

Here's what I know if your tv is 1080p or 720p native resolution set the ps3 to match.

Put on game mode turn off all advanced features.

If you can change the label input to cpu or game mode do it.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

PSN maestro3445

Celtics,Pats,Bruins NHL ,and Red Sox.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #104
Rookie

OVR: 20

The op is correct. I always take my ps3 to our condo every summer on vacation. It has an old square tv. I always hit better and am able to be early on pitches. When I hook it back up to my 47" hd tv its back to the same ole late swings and weak hits.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »