Home

What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Needs?

This is a discussion on What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Needs? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
Madden 25 Vs. College Football 25: A New Battleground
NBA 2K25 Gameplay Improvements, Trailer, News Release Schedule
EA Sports College Football 25 Review

Old 08-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #529
The Future

seanjeezy's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Ne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
We have numbers in the edit screen for players already. That's where they need to stay-for easier roster building, etc.

If any attention is payed to this area, I'd actually go the opposite direction and not have bars OR numbers in franchise (again, outside of the editing screen). Have scouting reports where the accuracy is determined by the skill/experience of your scouts (even then, never 100%). That makes team building more realistic and make scouting matter (both in terms of effectiveness and budgeting).
To piggyback off of this, I would love to see a scouting report page a la MVP where we can see some advanced scouting reports of the current and next opponent. Pitch repertoire, hot/cold zones, who's hot/cold, career batter/pitcher stats, etc. all in one screen would be an awesome addition.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #530
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: What Does MLB 13 The Show Need to do Next Year to Satisfy Your Baseball Gaming Ne

I think you guys should try what NBA 2k did, get classic teams and so some kind of challenge that lets you unlock other classic teams. Having their stadiums that they used at that time would be dope. This might not be the best idea that has been posted, but i think its a good one.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #531
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
We have numbers in the edit screen for players already. That's where they need to stay-for easier roster building, etc.

If any attention is payed to this area, I'd actually go the opposite direction and not have bars OR numbers in franchise (again, outside of the editing screen). Have scouting reports where the accuracy is determined by the skill/experience of your scouts (even then, never 100%). That makes team building more realistic and make scouting matter (both in terms of effectiveness and budgeting).
Absolutely. This is 100% correct IMO.
I'd even go far to say that NUMBERS in sports games are archaic and outdated and need to go by the wayside(again...outside of the editor....there has to be a number to drive the simulation...that I understand)....but scouting reports as the main source of information is the way to go.

Also....I've been playing sports games since the 80's...and it's always been nothing(rarely...maybe Wayne Gretzky hockey) or numbers as the way to see a players rating. Sorting by numbers in Front Page Sports Baseball become such a bore...most guys would barely notice the name of the player they were choosing in the draft.....trades.....for pinch running...etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
To piggyback off of this, I would love to see a scouting report page a la MVP where we can see some advanced scouting reports of the current and next opponent. Pitch repertoire, hot/cold zones, who's hot/cold, career batter/pitcher stats, etc. all in one screen would be an awesome addition.
DEFINITELY. This would add so much to the strategy in the game.

M.K.
Knight165
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #532
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Absolutely. This is 100% correct IMO.
I'd even go far to say that NUMBERS in sports games are archaic and outdated and need to go by the wayside(again...outside of the editor....there has to be a number to drive the simulation...that I understand)....but scouting reports as the main source of information is the way to go.

Also....I've been playing sports games since the 80's...and it's always been nothing(rarely...maybe Wayne Gretzky hockey) or numbers as the way to see a players rating. Sorting by numbers in Front Page Sports Baseball become such a bore...most guys would barely notice the name of the player they were choosing in the draft.....trades.....for pinch running...etc.

DEFINITELY. This would add so much to the strategy in the game.

M.K.
Knight165
Agreed with you as well.

Not a fan of numbers, and also archaic indeed. I want scouting, scouting, scouting, where I am picking a guy for his NAME because I know his NAME due to a fleshed out scouting report!

I want (INSERT NAME) to pinch run, not (SPEED 85).
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #533
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Last word on this(I promise)

I would have no problem if they included either an option to shut off numbers(if they wanted to go with a number rating system...along with scouting reports) or to give the user the ability to turn on a number rating system(if they went with scouting reports as the main thrust)

M.K.
Knight165
Old 08-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #534
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

A mode that would be very exciting to play is similar to Madden Moments. Madden Moments are games that happened the previous season and were historic. Either it was a big comeback or a team made the big stop to win the game.
I think if MLB The Show was able to bring "MLB Moments" to MLB 13 The Show it would be a fun mode to play instead of RTTS and Franchise. We would jump into a game in the late innings or even the bottom of the 9th and we would control the team that got the big hit or a huge out to win the game.
Examples.) Games 162 in 2011. It would be a lot of fun if we could play as the Baltimore Orioles and walk off the Red Sox to eliminate them from the playoffs or play as the Tampa Bay Rays and walk off the Yankees to earn the playoff spot. Another game could be Travis Hafner's Ultimate Grand Slam against Toronto. And the best MLB Moment would be Game 6 of the 2011 World Series. Having to come back against the elite closer Neftali Feliz and ultimately win the game to force a Game 7.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #535
Rookie

OVR: 0

the interface between the battery and baserunners needs lots of improvement, as it is there is no sense of strategy or drama; good baserunners and pitchers (and catchers) who shut down the running game aren't represented accurately:

1. Snap Throws to the bases by catchers
-catchers should be able to catch baserunners leaning with snap throws

2. slide step and pitch from wind up with runners on base
-pitchers should be able to speed up their delivery with runners on base or choose to pitch from the windup to get more control in certain situations, easily done with a button command entered before pitch (like how you select a pick off)

3. already mentioned a million times but: user control on returning baserunner to bag during pick-off attempt

4. fix bug where runners ability/speed don't display when they are on second base in the pop-in window

5. include some way for pitcher to check the lead of the runner on second because some broadcast cams are too zoomed-in to show the runner.

6. need to factor in short-term endurance in pitcher-runner interface: a pitcher should be penalized for throwing over a dozen times in a row and a runner should lose speed/reflexes if he is continually forced to dive back to bag.

A random thing for the loading screen:
Why not display a scouting report for the pitcher alongside/instead of last season's numbers? This would be way more useful.

From another set of bigger issues:

1. consider implementing PYS-style temporary attributes for pitchers and batters. e.g. "good two strike hitter"; "increased control for put-away pitch"...these could be displayed either on screen or inside player attributes card and could vary amongst a certain set for a given player, to simulate hot/cold streaks...

2. also like others have said something like MVP's hitter's eye bonus (PYS has something like this where you can artificially see the spin on the ball like a real batter)
- in general PYS understands that baseball is a psychological game and not just one based on the visible cues you can see by watching a broadcast.
As it stands the Show really lacks in replicating the complicated psychological and perceptual elements in baseball because doing so would make the game "look" more video-gamey (PYS has icons and flashing announcements all over the screen) but the Show really needs to recognize that it is impossible to replicate the complexity of a baseball game/matchup/situation and stick with a totally "realistic" (i.e. broadcast) look.

right now playing the Show (to SCEA's credit) is a lot like watching a game T.V. but very little like being in the game itself... PYS does a much better job of balancing being "in the game" and "watching a game"..from the cursor hot-spot, and magnified spin features of batting to the insights into the various players mindsets and in-the-moment emotions.

The Show is reaching the limit of expressing the complexity (and fun!) of baseball within its broadcast format.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2012, 06:42 AM   #536
Pro

OVR: 5
I love the idea of having classic teams as long as every player was on it. We also would need to be able to edit them instead of having them "locked" until a certain point. We also need to be able to integrate the teams into custom offline franchises as well.
Any addition to classic stadiums would be awesome!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »