Home

The deeper you get into a franchise the better this game is

This is a discussion on The deeper you get into a franchise the better this game is within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #1
MVP

Braves Fan's Arena

OVR: 11
The deeper you get into a franchise the better this game is

I used to be someone that played every game of the season, still do actually but because I've seen some things with lineups and trades that bothered me I decided to start a Braves franchise and sim two full seasons and draft two full draft classes. I avoided signing type A and B Free Agents so I could stockpile my system with A and B potential prospects. If in my simulation my team was out of the race I moved some high price veterans for some younger players/prospects.

I went into my 2014 offseason with the idea that I would lock up all of my own talent (as some of them are getting rather pricey) and maybe sign one big name Free Agent. Lincecum hit the open market and I went hard after him but didn't get him, probably a good thing because as it turns out the arbritation hearings for some of my players didn't go my way and after extending McCann, Prado, and Kimbrel's contracts to go along with arbritation hearings for Feliz (got him in a trade in the 2012 season) and Hanson my payroll jumped to $100 million. I have a $107 million budget.

Reason for this post though is I've gotten to the point in my development where guys I traded for (Trout) and some of my homegrown talent (Heyward, Freeman, Prado) have really progressed and are key cogs in my offensive attack. I've called up one of my 3rd base prospects and starting him.

For the first time I'm actually building through the draft and not trying to sign big name FA's to build my team. In the past I've never gotten this far because I've never gotten out of the 1st season. It's enhanced my love for the game.

As a side note something else I've noticed the further you get into your franchises the less lineup construction and trades bother you because you aren't attached to names.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: The deeper you get into a franchise the better this game is

I like you postage this thread, this is what has been bothering me, fruit to keep it too real... Especially with the Red Sox(my team) having there young guys stepping up at the moment I want that too but I have to remember that The Show is my world, I have to embrace that, if I want to go out and get Jonny Venters for my bullpen I dont have to feel bad about it
And this year I've been playing 1 game a series and am already past the 2013 AllStar break...
I am appreciating the game more because I don't have to worry about be too realistic even though I don't at times
And I think I'm gonna look into trading for Trout, I love 5 tool guys there so exciting to have on your team, maybe I can use Crawford as part of the deal, he's healthy in the game lol...
Old 06-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 0

I still cant get over the stat bugs...11.0 homers really hurt the game for me. If it wasnt for that I may put some time into a franchise. Maybe I should delete the patches?
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #4
Hoping for change...

PsychoBulk's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton425
I still cant get over the stat bugs...11.0 homers really hurt the game for me. If it wasnt for that I may put some time into a franchise. Maybe I should delete the patches?
Just turn the in-game ticker off, problem solved. Its the only place it happens.

League leaders are still shown in the drop down box at the top of the score bug periodically anyway.

Really, dont let such a trivial thing stop you from getting into a franchise, the deeper you go the more engrossing it gets.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

It would great if we could play 52 or 82 games in franchise and have all the franchise features unlike season mode. I like to play all the games in franchise mode as well but usually don't make it through a full season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've simmed 10 times up through 2024. Every time, in 2024, the top 10 leaders in every category are mostly 30 or older. Every team is average age 32+. Young players don't progress. There are no young stars, and hardly any young MLB starters.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I am an avid franchiser, it is the only mode I play. I get annoyed with the created players skill set the more years I get into it. It seems all the "new" players are just average at everything and incredibly similar. All the players seem to be between 40-80 in all their skill levels, certain types of players just don't exist. Here's some real examples:

Speed and defense seem to be linked way too closely.

I never seem to find 90+ fielding or speed.

players that draw walks without having power or contact

arm strength is non existent

The poor defensive value piss me of the most. I want to build a bench with defense in mind 1st and they're all the same. It would be nice to just come across players with extremely different skill sets in building my team. it gets too blah when all of my players look the same in 5 years. pinch hitting, pinch running, defensive subs, and all other in game strategy are out the window. Tell me this is different in this years game, I am still in year 1
Old 06-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Pro

IK720's Arena

OVR: 7

I simmed the first two seasons of my franchise and it has really been fun progressing the draft picks and a few young guys the astros had worth while. Jonathon Singleton got the call up in 2013 and won the rookie of the year. Now that I am playing in 2014 he is a key player in my lineup with high contact and power and is just 22 or 23 years old.

It is definitely very fun when you get into your franchise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »