Home

No guess pitch?

This is a discussion on No guess pitch? within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
No guess pitch?

Hello Everyone,

I have been playing the show since 2006. Its the only video game I play and needless to say I love it. This years version is just flat out amazing. Last years version I really hated. Why? Well it was my fault I got to overwhelmed with the right sliders, the right roster the right team, stats etc. This year im just going to take everyone's advice. I have started a season with the Miami Marlins, using TNK sliders, and OSFM roster. The only question I have is I no longer want to use guess pitch.

I rake to much this year and I often see post were most people don't even use guess pitch. I can read pitches, work the count and have a pretty good eye. However how do you call time out when you don't use guess pitch? When this function is on I would simply push the R 2 button until I was ready for the pitch to be deliver but now with this function off I cant do that, I feel rushed. How do you call time out? Any ways just want to see how you guys do without guess pitch and how it works out for you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 4
Re: No guess pitch?

You gotta call it when the ball is getting thrown back to the pitcher, otherwise you're stuck. If the phone rings, I get an email or text I consider that the take sign.

No guess pitch is awesome btw.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
Rookie

BrandH's Arena

OVR: 6

Down on the D-Pad makes the batter call time and step out of the box.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Rookie

fullmetal2405's Arena

OVR: 4

What settings do you use for presentation? I have never used Guess Pitch and also never felt rushed. I play with the broadcast settings and find the mini-cutscenes in between pitches provide more than enough time to get ready for the next one.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Banned

Guess Pitch Should Not Be Overused

I was gonna make this post a seperate thread, but since this thread title fits, I'll post it here.

I normally play with guess pitch off, but I was lookin' to draw more walks and guess pitch 1/6 did that for me. I played one month of a season using it. You know what else it did ? It made it almost impossible for the Yankees to get a hit. I'll explain.

I was overusing it. Every pitch, I would guess low fastball because low pitches is what I had trouble gauging, but the penalty completely flattened my offense. I recommend nobody use guess pitch 1/6 because even when I guessed right, the outcome was weak. It feels like there is no reward.

I just played a game with guess pitch off, it was totally different. The game rewards you for putting the PCI on the ball.

Bottom line is this: I never knew guess pitch had such a huge impact on the outcome of at bats.

Last edited by tonadom; 01-14-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Guess Pitch Should Not Be Overused

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonadom
I was gonna make this post a seperate thread, but since this thread title fits, I'll post it here.

I normally play with guess pitch off, but I was lookin' to draw more walks and guess pitch 1/6 did that for me. You know what else it did ? It made it almost impossible for the Yankees to get a hit. I'll explain.

I was overusing it. Every pitch, I would guess low fastball because low pitches is what I had trouble gauging, but the penalty completely flattened my offense. I recommend nobody use guess pitch 1/6 because even when I guessed right, the outcome was weak. It feels like there is no reward.

I just played a game with guess pitch off, it was totally different. The game rewards you for putting the PCI on the ball.

Bottom line is this: I never knew guess pitch had such a huge impact on the outcome of at bats.
This will be fixed this year as they have opened the timing window for batters. So you won't get penalized all the time when you have great timing and contact on the ball.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Banned

SportsGamingBlake's Arena

I don't see how you guys can not use guess pitch and still be good. I use it every single pitch and still get average results. I just got a PS3 and MLB 12 in October so I guess I'm still somewhat of a noob even though I don't feel like one anymore and its probably a lot easier for you guys who have been playing The Show since '06 or even just a few years. I know this sounds really stupid, but it works for me; I always guess fastball and vary my location depending on the count and stuff, but unless I guess the pitch type AND location correctly, I don't swing unless I have two strikes, which is really the only time I really have to focus. So I'll do that for one inning, and alternate every inning and in the other innings swinging if I guess EITHER location or pitch type correctly. This way the pitcher's pitch count stays within a realistic range because when I only swing if I guess everything correctly or wait for two strikes, the pitcher's pitch count can get above 20 or 25 per inning a lot of times, with the other ways it stays around 10 (I consider an "average" pitch count between 14-16 per inning, that way you get to 100 sometime in the 6th or 7th if everything goes smoothly.). I still get pretty good box score results and I'd say I win between 55%-60% of games which is good. For some reason this is what works but I'm going to have to try and break this habit and figure out another hitting strategy in '13. So tips are appreciated. :P

BTW I use timing hitting too. I know, I know.... NOOOOOOOB!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamingBlake
I don't see how you guys can not use guess pitch and still be good. I use it every single pitch and still get average results.:
It takes a lot of patience, hand eye coordination, and just a good amount of time playing without guess pitch to get comfortable with it off, but in my opinion, it really is the best way to play the game.

What style of guess pitch do you use? Classic 1/6 has the worst reward and the harshest penalty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »