Home

AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch...

This is a discussion on AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch... within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 03-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #65
Senior AI Programmer - MLB: The Show

OVR: 7
Re: AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Absolutely. That was the first thing I noticed.
In previous years, if I really wanted a chase, a fastball or 2-seam fastball was really my only option

This year I've gotten swings on curveballs way outside - let that sink in, I threw a curveball and didn't die...

I've gotten swings on low sinkers, curves in the dirt, sliders, etc...

I haven't actually measured chase% in human vs CPU games yet, but there's no question it's miles ahead of last year
Well it's not your imaginations, CPU discipline has changed significantly.

My point earlier was that play-style has a big influence in both directions. For example, a true beginner would not expect to walk a lot of guys even though he should be. And some players may be impatient and pitch more at batters, even on strike 2. You can expect about 3 BB in a game if you have a balanced difficulty level and play to win, though.

Last edited by Brian SCEA; 03-14-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: AI walks issued, AI pitches chased... Hopefully can be adjusted in a patch...

I discovered CPU batters can chase!...well, at least against JV I just pitched a postseason game with Verlander against the A's. I pitched on AS using Analog controls (pitching sliders all at default). Verlander struck out 13 batters. A's chased 20 pitches out of their 60 swings for a chase rate of 33% out of 130 total pitches thrown. In fact, 8 of the 13 strikeouts came on balls they chased out of the zone.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:27 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian SCEA
Your stat is wrong, it's roughly 19. If you see the AI chasing 15, that's a bit low and an indication you need to pitch around more often. Check your total pitches thrown. I'll bet it's in the 110-130 range. In MLB games where 110-130 pitches were thrown, guess what, you'll see about 15 pitches chased. =)

If it helps, about 29% of swings are chases. Let's say we have 145 pitches, that would be 66 Swings including 19 Chases. Check how many pitches were thrown out of the strike zone. It should be about 45%-50% depending on the pitcher. For most people, the tendency is to throw fewer than that for various reasons. It takes skill to throw the MLB number.

If you don't pitch around because you aren't afraid of the AI, that's a different issue..you probably need to up the difficulty. Certainly on Rookie pitching there's no need to walk the batters if you don't want, whereas in Legend you better be walking some batters or sooner or later it'll cost you.
29% of SWINGS are chases? Are you sure about his? Fangraphs has a stat it calls O-Swing% and that it defines as such:

O-Swing%: The percentage of PITCHES a batter swings at outside the strike zone.

For 2012, the O-Swing% for each team ranged from 27.0% (Indians) to 33.8% (Nationals) so your 29% number is reasonable but, unless I'm missing something, that number should be applied to pitches, not swings (fwiw, according to Fangraphs, teams swing at 43% to 48% of pitches)
Old 03-16-2013, 06:34 PM   #68
MVP

OVR: 14

Dumb question, but is it classified as chase only if you miss?
Old 03-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #69
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
No. A foul or ball-in-play is counted as a chase as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:45 PM   #70
MVP

kmoser's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Try not to chase. It doesn't end well. Easier said than done though.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #71
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

This is actually the first year where I can get the CPU chasing pouches with some regularity. I think they did a great job this year with that aspect.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Link to my YouTube.
Denny 3K Gaming

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #72
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbprice20
29% of SWINGS are chases? Are you sure about his? Fangraphs has a stat it calls O-Swing% and that it defines as such:

O-Swing%: The percentage of PITCHES a batter swings at outside the strike zone.

For 2012, the O-Swing% for each team ranged from 27.0% (Indians) to 33.8% (Nationals) so your 29% number is reasonable but, unless I'm missing something, that number should be applied to pitches, not swings (fwiw, according to Fangraphs, teams swing at 43% to 48% of pitches)
I think you are correct about the definition of chase and O-Swing %..... but I think what Brian@SCEA was saying is also true.... I believe by accident all these numbers actually come close to each other, so that made the discussion a bit confusing.

All is said and done, about 29% - 30% of swings are indeed chases. Just by accident because the overall % of pitches thrown to outside the strike zone and and swing % of batters are similar.

Quote:
No, anything outside the strike zone swung at counts as a chase (at least that's what O-Swing which is equal to chase in the game means).

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »