Home

The Future of the RTTS Mode

This is a discussion on The Future of the RTTS Mode within the MLB The Show Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen
College Football 25 All-In-One Recruiting Guide: Do This, Not That
Madden 25 Review: Stalling in the Red Zone
Good AI in Football Games Is Way Too Rare

Old 01-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: The Future of the RTTS Mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsKC

This brings my to my largest complaint about MyCareer mode and is one I wish people were more vocal about, at least in a constructive manor.
Yes, the scripting IN THE GAMES has to GO! Maybe it is fine off the court but NOT IN THE GAME!

Another issue I have is, WTF is up with us always having to start are careers as chumps? I get that the point of the game is to build up our player, but especially with The Show, It would be really nice to be a #1 pick or at least a first rounder!! 2K really isn't as bad, your attributes are low, but I was picked 10th overall, not bad, but I sill would like to be a top 3 pick, same with The Show. I want to start my career as a Stephen Strasburg, not as a no name bum!
Old 01-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #18
Rookie

dutch4404's Arena

OVR: 1

Can I please just have the option to turn commentary on during this mode?
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 PM   #19
MVP

MLB Bob's Arena

OVR: 15

and remove the constant zooming and wooshing
Old 01-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #20
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyItsKC
I see the NBA 2k series being continuously referenced as the largest contributor of inspiration for how SCEA should advance RTTS. From positive improvements such as post game interviews, teammate interactions, and more in depth player advancement to the negatives such as, most notably, VC. However, I rarely see people mentioning the impact NBA 2k's MyCareer has on gameplay.

When you begin a career in NBA 2k you start out as a benchwarmer. The first couple games you spend all four quarters on the bench, the first of which will include a scripted event where you choose to celebrate with your teammate or hang back at the bench. The following game another scripted event will occur. The starting player at your chosen position will be injured and you finally get to step onto the floor. While it was nice to finally be able to play, I felt it odd that I was expected (or at least challenged through the goal system) to just jump into a game in the last quarter and carry our team to victory as a new player.

This brings my to my largest complaint about MyCareer mode and is one I wish people were more vocal about, at least in a constructive manor. Within the next few weeks of the season you will play a game where no matter what you do to try to avoid it you will be fouled until you have to shoot a free throw. When you take the line, regardless of what your players attributes are, you will miss your free throws. But, why would this happen? My free throw attribute is 90 and I had A+ release on both shots. It doesn't make any sense. That is, until after the game when one of your teammates will approach you about your missed free throws and send you to the practice court.

That is only one example of the many scripted occurrences that affect the actual gameplay element of MyCareer. While it is neat to see teammates and coaches reflect on your performance, forcing scripted events into actual games is nothing less than frustrating for the player. Now every time I miss a wide open shot or the other team goes on a crazy scoring streak, instead of stopping and saying "what should I be doing differently to turn this around," the only thing I find myself doing is yelling at the TV in frustration knowing that it's more likely something behind the scenes altering the gameplay rather than my personal performance.

NBA 2k's MyCareer off-the-court presentation is, in my opinion, one of the best advancements to the traditional Create a Player I've seen. But, when scripted events start leaking into the actual gameplay it breaks the entire experience. While I would love to see SCEA build off the ideas of MyCareer, if things like strikeouts and fielding errors occur in RTTS in a manor that disrespects player skill I feel like it would ruin the entire game mode.

Sorry for the long winded post but RTTS, and MLB The Show in general, is something I'm very passionate about and I wanted to get this out there.

That is awful. As I have mentioned before, I only have played the PS3 version of 2k14, so I have no first hand accounts of the negative issues being cited here. I think, perhaps, even more troublesome is this DRM approach they seemed to have adopted on the next gen systems. The problems have been well publicized, and why developers continue to think that their efforts in DRM will be different is beyond me.

I don't want to seem naive and just attribute it to greed, but I really don't know how else to explain it. I think gamers are united in the fact that this 'Always Online' approach to single player gaming is sickening to say the least.

I would hate to see The Show start double dipping into the realm of microtransactions, and that is something that is a deal breaker for me. The only way developers stop trying this is if the consumers stop buying the games. However, the temptation is too great when time and time again consumers have been more than willing to fork over more of their hard earned cash after the initial $60 investment.

I think what is a huge draw to the RTTS mode is the time investment that is made into making a great player and winning championships. I've had created players go years without even sniffing the playoffs and the reward of finally making it in October is just that much sweeter.

Some people can't stand baseball, and I understand. It is a lengthy process, and just too much for some. However, we represent a fan base of die hard fans who appreciate the game in its entirety, and by allowing players to simply pay a few more dollars for more skill points would just take the wind out of it. Some may argue the opposite that it's their money and they can do as they please, and while I don't disagree I just believe by opening the door of microtransactions and DRM you tread a slippery slope of developers not knowing when to stop.

See...Sim City.

I like the idea of some scripted narratives say a rival pitcher talking trash in the media, or teammates questioning your motives. However, I could see a situation where your player wouldn't run out a pop up or refusing to chase after a misplayed ball as a means to push a narrative, and that would be too much for me. So your concerns are duly noted.

To speak on some of the concepts earlier I don't know how practical the potential for going through College ball is considering trademarks and such, and that is why I chose to start out in high school as to allow use of generic city names, colors, and parks. A lot of talk goes into being able to be a day one superstar and I think thats what makes the concept of playing out a high school season before hand so intriguing. If you perform at a extremely high level than you could achieve that status. However, thats where I see the temptation of, "or...for $20 more you could simply buy more skill points and create the next Bryce Harper".

So the conversation has come full circle, but I remember reading a twitter comment from SCEA where they spoke about a "Prospect Game" before te draft. Can someone confirm this?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #21
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatgordo13

So the conversation has come full circle, but I remember reading a twitter comment from SCEA where they spoke about a "Prospect Game" before te draft. Can someone confirm this?
Great comments!
I remember hearing about the "Prospect Game" but never heard anything else about it.
To be honest I think 1 game would not be nearly enough to get a realistic skill level in all areas. Some people have suggested playing your entire Senior year. Honestly, I think the way they do it now is a pretty good idea, using sliders Hitting---Power etc, but what about the REAL speedsters? like Billy Hamilton? the guy runs a 3.1 from 1st to 2nd!!!!!
The way it is set up right now, you could never create a prospect with that kind of speed...not with out purchasing some points.
But I don't have a problem buying points, the only problem I would have would be if they turned it into 2k's version. Then I would have an issue.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2014, 01:07 AM   #22
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedFastball
Great comments!
I remember hearing about the "Prospect Game" but never heard anything else about it.
To be honest I think 1 game would not be nearly enough to get a realistic skill level in all areas. Some people have suggested playing your entire Senior year. Honestly, I think the way they do it now is a pretty good idea, using sliders Hitting---Power etc, but what about the REAL speedsters? like Billy Hamilton? the guy runs a 3.1 from 1st to 2nd!!!!!
The way it is set up right now, you could never create a prospect with that kind of speed...not with out purchasing some points.
But I don't have a problem buying points, the only problem I would have would be if they turned it into 2k's version. Then I would have an issue.
Found it. From the initial press release back in November.

"We think Road To The Show is the deepest, most realistic single-player experience in sports video games and we’re making it even better. A few of the new features include a new advancement system, new intuitive player creation process and all new pre-draft prospect showcase"

I also pull from that, that they're talking about one game that may or may not have any influence on your player's abilities. I think it makes sense to define your player initially as a power hitter, or speedster, but there needs to be a bit more organic process to it. If you get a chance to pick up one of the older NCAA Football titles it's worth taking a look.

You create your player, choose the city you are from, team colors, and then compete in a season of games to raise your value among prospective universities. I think it would be great if during your run to a state championship you hit a bunch of home runs and are touted in the MLB draft as a power hitting phenom, or similarly as a pitching talent.

It just seems to generic to be relegated to the same basic outline of a player going into the farm system. I liked the addition of tweaking a players sliders to determine power over average or speed over strength and so on, but that seems so arbitrary to what satisfaction could come from earning those attributes organically.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:18 AM   #23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatgordo13
Found it. From the initial press release back in November.

"We think Road To The Show is the deepest, most realistic single-player experience in sports video games and we’re making it even better. A few of the new features include a new advancement system, new intuitive player creation process and all new pre-draft prospect showcase"

I also pull from that, that they're talking about one game that may or may not have any influence on your player's abilities. I think it makes sense to define your player initially as a power hitter, or speedster, but there needs to be a bit more organic process to it. If you get a chance to pick up one of the older NCAA Football titles it's worth taking a look.

You create your player, choose the city you are from, team colors, and then compete in a season of games to raise your value among prospective universities. I think it would be great if during your run to a state championship you hit a bunch of home runs and are touted in the MLB draft as a power hitting phenom, or similarly as a pitching talent.

It just seems to generic to be relegated to the same basic outline of a player going into the farm system. I liked the addition of tweaking a players sliders to determine power over average or speed over strength and so on, but that seems so arbitrary to what satisfaction could come from earning those attributes organically.
The older Madden games would even have you take an I.Q. test in their career mode! LOL, I have played them all Madden NCAA 2k Live and MLB (The best by FAR)
If they make it so you can play X amount of games to develop your attributes, that would be great. 1 game not so much, maybe 1 game to see where you are picked in the draft???
Thats how 2k does it, and that works, I would really like the ability to be a high pick, NO MORE OF THAT $30K FIRST YEAR CRAP!!! I want to be a pampered 5 star prospect! LOL
Old 01-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #24
Rookie

dutch4404's Arena

OVR: 1

Did anyone else ever come accross the nba2k Facebook game that sync'd with your created players career for the console game? It wasn't very fun, but you earned the currency(forget what they called it) to be used on your players attributes. It was a way around paying for it. So if it does come to the point where there are extra purchases...maybe there could be an option like that

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Last Gen »