Home

OSFM and missing textures (black faces) thread

This is a discussion on OSFM and missing textures (black faces) thread within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4
OSFM and missing textures (black faces) thread

I thought seeing as most people dont have the game yet but the ones of us that do are experiencing missing, black or spotted faces maybe we should get a thread going where it can be discussed. Im hoping the discussion will help figuring out a resolution to the issue.

im assuming come tuesday with the game in a lot more peoples hands the problem will need to be discussed.

myself, I am experiencing it randomly only in edit player in the manage roster section.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2014, 07:28 PM   #2
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: OSFM and missing textures (black faces) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
I thought seeing as most people dont have the game yet but the ones of us that do are experiencing missing, black or spotted faces maybe we should get a thread going where it can be discussed. Im hoping the discussion will help figuring out a resolution to the issue.

im assuming come tuesday with the game in a lot more peoples hands the problem will need to be discussed.

myself, I am experiencing it randomly only in edit player in the manage roster section.
I don't see how this is an OSFM issue when it's ONLY been SCEA players with the issue. Also issue isn't consistent.

Example: Jimmy Rollins had a blacked out face in the editor along with Dominic Brown. Backed out of the editor and went back to Rollins and Brown and both players were back to normal(Confirmed in the editor and in exhibition). This seems as the PS4 is trying to load textures and it takes a while.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

The way faces are stored is complicated though. Created faces are completely different than say Andrew Mccutchens SCEA cyberface. SCEA cyberfaces are one texture where as created ones are made on the fly basically. Thats why you can change your nose and hair and beard and ears and so on. Thats also why you dont have the ability to change SCEA cyberfaces beards and hair and stuff. Thats why it might just be SCEA cyberfaces its happening to.

In my honest opinion I think it has to do with there being essentially 1500 created players in the OSFM rosters and the ps4 not loading the textures in edit player screen. I read one time that the reason in edit player that all players have a generic uniform instead of whatever team they are on is to do with a memory issue. I feel like there might be a correlation there but I will admit im no expert. Ive used 2 other rosters and havent had or seen any reports of this issue so some how it is tied to the OSFM rosters it would seem.

I l9ve the OSFM rosters and im hoping this thread will help in figuring out whats going wrong. My fear is that transferring from ps3 is screwing them up and im hoping that doesnt mean they need to be made from scratch on ps4.

hopefully we can all add input and get it figured. For all I know this is limited to just a few of us. Either way tuesday might be a gong show.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
MVP

HozAndMoose's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujomatty
The way faces are stored is complicated though. Created faces are completely different than say Andrew Mccutchens SCEA cyberface. SCEA cyberfaces are one texture where as created ones are made on the fly basically. Thats why you can change your nose and hair and beard and ears and so on. Thats also why you dont have the ability to change SCEA cyberfaces beards and hair and stuff. Thats why it might just be SCEA cyberfaces its happening to.

In my honest opinion I think it has to do with there being essentially 1500 created players in the OSFM rosters and the ps4 not loading the textures in edit player screen. I read one time that the reason in edit player that all players have a generic uniform instead of whatever team they are on is to do with a memory issue. I feel like there might be a correlation there but I will admit im no expert. Ive used 2 other rosters and havent had or seen any reports of this issue so some how it is tied to the OSFM rosters it would seem.

I l9ve the OSFM rosters and im hoping this thread will help in figuring out whats going wrong. My fear is that transferring from ps3 is screwing them up and im hoping that doesnt mean they need to be made from scratch on ps4.

hopefully we can all add input and get it figured. For all I know this is limited to just a few of us. Either way tuesday might be a gong show.
Pretty sure most of the OSFM players arent created. They just edit the players already in the minors on stock rosters.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by HozAndMoose
Pretty sure most of the OSFM players arent created. They just edit the players already in the minors on stock rosters.
On the release notes doesnt it say 1500 created players? Knight said that somewhere. Regardless any of those players edited or not are a different type of cyberface than the SCEA cyberfaces that are being affected. The ones that are editable are fine from my understanding.
basically the faces that are turned black is a face texture that covers a 3d model. Something is screwing up with the face texture. All the created or editable faces which your saying are different they arent just a 3d model with a certain face texture on top. Its actually alot different and its why they arent being affected.

somewhere along the line be it a memory issue or something getting screwed up when being loaded as ps4 instead of ps3 I dont know. I do know through my cyberface experience that ive seen this before. If it was the latter of being screwed up by the difference between ps3 and ps4 it should be more consistent. Ie the same face should always be black. Thats not the case which makes me feel its a memory issue.

All of a sudden there is 1500 new faces. I dont know how things are loaded and compressed in the edit player screen but im lead to believe theres not a whole lot of extra memory to be used which could cause whats happening. This would also explain why ingame its only loading 25 faces instead of 1500. Again I dunno for sure.

heres another example.
in grand theft auto san andreas I installed a bunch of different car models as a mod to give me real cars. The initial cpu I did this on wasnt very good and I had texture issues such as cars that were just blank and after a few seconds it would show up. If I did a few cars it worked fine but too many I had issues. Cpu didnt have enough memory to load them instantly. It seems similar.

Last edited by CujoMatty; 05-04-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 AM   #6
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

Well it seems it was my second guess. I dont think the ps4 can sort thru and load faces fast enough with so many faces just like what happened in my san andreas example. OS user franch1se who first reported the problem clarified that black faces only happen in game during preseason when the rosters are expanded and extra faces need to be loaded.
the ps4 should have more than enough memory so im guessing if that is in fact the problem SCEA could fix it easy enough.

Im not too concerned about playing spring training but I hope the problem doesnt also arise when the rosters expand late in the season.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #7
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
For anyone wondering about the black face issue. The OSFM rosters aren't the cause of it. When i booted up the game and went into edit player screen I edited Enny Romero and Alex Colome of the Rays(Haven't even DL OSFM yet) and both had black faces, but once I switched screens or scrolled up and down the edits page the faces returned to normal. Just wanted to give you guys an FYI on that as another OSer said that OSFM was the cause when in actuality it is not. It's minor and doesn't stick. I even went into Spring Training to test it and Colome and Romero's faces were fine.

EDIT:Reason i tested that in Spring Training is that another user also mentioned it only happened in Spring and not Exhibition.
Tested this today. OSFM has nothing to do with this issue.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:18 AM   #8
Husker Power

Spooky's Arena

OVR: 8

With OSFM minors rosters, I'm getting a lot of what looks like full face tattoos. Is this what you guys are talking about with "black faces"? Or are these two different observations?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »