Home

How to Handle Morale regarding Salaries

This is a discussion on How to Handle Morale regarding Salaries within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: How to Handle Morale regarding Salaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRoyals2045WS.Chmps
Looking at morale last night on a simmed 30-team franchise, I saw player ratings as much as 4 points higher overall for high morale and as low as 11 points lower overall for low morale.
Exactly. So, that is why I wondered how other franchise players are dealing with the issue. Seems like this would be an item a little higher on the list to correct instead of some of the other complaints I see. I have read there is a balance that can be disrupted when salaries are altered. So, how do we 'fix' this issue? An easy answer would be to allow us to sign own players during the season if we chose to make them 'Happy'. Just very odd to have something like Morale in the game and have it count so much......but not give us an avenue to correct the poor morale
Old 04-11-2017, 01:55 PM   #10
Rookie

The big issue here is that for some odd reason, SCEA thinks we shouldn't be able to offer contracts and extensions during the season. What's the justification for this?

Here's 2 options for the OP:

1. First, can we manually edit contracts in Franchise mode? I haven't checked the edit player screen to confirm, but if you can, then my answer is to manually give the players extensions or bump up their salary to get rid of the morale drop.

2. The other option is to forget making the game even remotely realistic and accept what the game gives you. If Kris Bryant has a 10 point drop because he's unrealistically mad about his contract, pretend it isn't unrealistic. Pretend he is actually that mad, and accept that the game prevents you from giving extensions in-season. It isn't realistic, and it is annoying, but it's the game that's been given - err... sold - to us.

Last edited by BillPeener; 04-11-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
The big issue here is that for some odd reason, SCEA thinks we shouldn't be able to offer contracts and extensions during the season. What's the justification for this?

Here's 2 options for the OP:

1. First, can we manually edit contracts in Franchise mode? I haven't checked the edit player screen to confirm, but if you can, then my answer is to manually give the players extensions or bump up their salary to get rid of the morale drop.

2. The other option is to forget making the game even remotely realistic and accept what the game gives you. If Kris Bryant has a 10 point drop because he's unrealistically mad about his contract, pretend it isn't unrealistic. Pretend he is actually that mad, and accept that the game prevents you from giving extensions in-season. It isn't realistic, and it is annoying, but it's the game that's been given - err... sold - to us.
Thank you for the response. Yes, the real issue is why aren't we allowed to sign players in season. This option should definitely be in the game. You also have came to the same two conclusions I did. I think I will have to just choose option #2, though very unwillingly. I don't want to have to edit all the contracts for every angry player in MLB. And I cant just edit my own as I feel this will give an unfair advantage. So, yep, option #2 it is, but I would still like this option to be in the game....or for a reason to be given why it isn't in the game....Like I said, so many people are worried about stuff like sock colors but not these issues that actually affect gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcshuckers73
Thank you for the response. Yes, the real issue is why aren't we allowed to sign players in season. This option should definitely be in the game. You also have came to the same two conclusions I did. I think I will have to just choose option #2, though very unwillingly. I don't want to have to edit all the contracts for every angry player in MLB. And I cant just edit my own as I feel this will give an unfair advantage. So, yep, option #2 it is, but I would still like this option to be in the game....or for a reason to be given why it isn't in the game....Like I said, so many people are worried about stuff like sock colors but not these issues that actually affect gameplay.
lol, I know right? People go crazy if Joe Smo doesn't have Adidas batting gloves, yet meanwhile we can't even offer extensions in-season, let alone other egregious issues like the trade system. I guess if the majority of fans care more about trademarked logos than the game working right, I can't blame the developers for adjusting their priorities accordingly.

Personally, I could do without every stadium having 20 different BUY THE SHOW! banners (talk about spitting in our faces - why the hell do I have to see unrealistic ads for the very game I purchased? Put up signs for other MLB products) and all the official brands if it meant getting more realistic game mechanics.

Last edited by BillPeener; 04-11-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:44 PM   #13
Rookie

KCRoyals2045WS.Chmps's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcshuckers73
I haven't completely settled on how I'm going to handle it, but I'm leaning toward ignoring it and dealing with diminished ratings. My reasoning, young players who haven't even hit arbitration yet are typically not getting market value contracts and are instead stuck with minimum salaries. Bryant is a bit of an outlier with the minimum salary of approx $550K/yr and his market value near 22M/yr, but since his contract is still renewable and the Cubs could have paid him only $550K this year, they are paying him around $1M in an effort to keep their budget down, but still build some goodwill with him. Is he happy about his contract? I doubt it. Is he going to pout and let it affect his game prep? Probably not.

To be completely fair to the devs, the 11 point morale drop I saw seemed like a rather large outlier. The player in question (don't remember who, it is a 1987 simmed franchise I carried over) was angry about several different things (personal performance, team record, team location and contract). I have nothing to back this up, but I would assume contract alone might account for roughly 3/11 points of ratings drop, which seems realistic enough to ignore.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:47 PM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRoyals2045WS.Chmps
I haven't completely settled on how I'm going to handle it, but I'm leaning toward ignoring it and dealing with diminished ratings. My reasoning, young players who haven't even hit arbitration yet are typically not getting market value contracts and are instead stuck with minimum salaries. Bryant is a bit of an outlier with the minimum salary of approx $550K/yr and his market value near 22M/yr, but since his contract is still renewable and the Cubs could have paid him only $550K this year, they are paying him around $1M in an effort to keep their budget down, but still build some goodwill with him. Is he happy about his contract? I doubt it. Is he going to pout and let it affect his game prep? Probably not.

To be completely fair to the devs, the 11 point morale drop I saw seemed like a rather large outlier. The player in question (don't remember who, it is a 1987 simmed franchise I carried over) was angry about several different things (personal performance, team record, team location and contract). I have nothing to back this up, but I would assume contract alone might account for roughly 3/11 points of ratings drop, which seems realistic enough to ignore.
Yeah, ultimately I think it's best to pretend the rating drops are realistic. We don't know what the players go through in real life. Maybe there's a player who's rating is down on a given day because he got into an argument with his wife. I'm not defending the devs there - definitely not - but going that route makes more sense to me than manually editing players.

What you say about Bryant is entirely plausible, even if it's not correct.
Old 04-11-2017, 02:49 PM   #15
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

It is what it is. In times like these I look to the wise words of that great General, Bob Knight for inspiration and do what he advised Connie Chung:
''relax and enjoy it.''

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #16
Pro

Thanks for the response, KC. I tend to agree with you on how to handle it (ignore it). Just wish they would allow us to increase the salaries. I think it was Baez (not at home to check), but he was angry because his salary was 70k. Now, that s ridiculous, IMO. But, all in all, I agree with the rating drop of ~3 points. Not enough to stop me from pressing forward, but wish it wasn't so. Thank you again for the response. It is nice to get other opinions from folks....sort of a sanity check for me!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »