Home

Bobhead's 2015 Sliders

This is a discussion on Bobhead's 2015 Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:18 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 24
Re: Bobhead's 2015 Sliders

I've updated the OP with my first official set! Please try them out and let me know what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian9
Hey man, any new updates? Always curious to see what you come up with.
Yes! I've updated my post with my official base set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
Im confused with the new pitch cursor and how it works.
I don't know about the cursor itself, I turned the display off. It is pretty strange looking, and reminds me of modern/abstract art. Not something I want to see during a baseball game.

Anyway, the concept is basically this: In previous years you aimed the pitch by its ending location.. If you wanted a 12-6 curveball to cross the plate down and away, you aim down and away. If executed properly it would go high and break down and away more or less where you aimed it. THIS YEAR, you aim the pitch based on its direction, that is, where you are throwing the pitch. If you want a 12-6 curveball to cross the plate down and away, you must aim the marker UP and away, so that it breaks down towards the down-and-away corner where you wanted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxpinke
Bobhead,

Im an analog pitcher as well and having a hard time figuring out sliders to make it challenging on all star level. Can you explain the reasoning behind the raised control and lowered consistency?
Thanks!
This (and all key changes) will eventually be explained in my OP, but here's a brief thing on that.

First and foremost, it's important to note that I shrink my analog meter down in the camera editor, so that all pitches are a lot harder to locate. If I had to guess, I'd say I'm shrinking it down to about 60% of its original size. This, in my opinion, is the best way to get a realistic level of (not having) control, because the two sliders we are talking about have a lot of other side effects, so dropping them down to 0/0 is something I try to avoid.

If you aren't doing that, you will probably want to keep Pitch Control at default, and lower Consistency 2 more clicks (so you have 5/1).

Pitch Control is raised so that my breaking pitches in particular are a bit sharper and less hittable... with the smaller meter you are prone to hang a few more breaking balls than otherwise. I don't necessarily want more hung pitches, just more pitches that miss out of the zone.

Pitch Consistency is dropped so that I get some occasional complete wildness, and a fair frequency of hit-batters, wild pitches, etc..., that are otherwise really easy to avoid with analog pitching.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

Thanks for the reply !

Using your logic, I've settled in at Control 4, consistency 2 for now. Like the way it felt. I could locate at times, and went through stretches where i had a tough time with pitches that were lower confidence. May tweak more but i want to see some more pitchers first, especially lower rated ones. A few mistakes I thought would get hammered didnt, so my next stop might be upping some CPU offense a bit, to scare me away from the plate.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

Hey bobhead, i'm enjoying your sliders from 4-19. Thanks for the changes. Everything is great as far as stats and game play is concerned, except for the fact that over the past 20 or so games the cpu pitchers are averaging 2 strikeouts a game against me. What can I do to fix this without affecting everything else?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #12
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbostic92
Hey bobhead, i'm enjoying your sliders from 4-19. Thanks for the changes. Everything is great as far as stats and game play is concerned, except for the fact that over the past 20 or so games the cpu pitchers are averaging 2 strikeouts a game against me. What can I do to fix this without affecting everything else?
Yeah, I ended up dropping the Timing slider back to default. The explanation is a pretty long one, but the short version is that I thought there was a problem with the timing window, and this problem was causing me to strike out like 15+ times a game... I eventually figured out that the problem was in individual pitch speeds & differentials - pitches coming in slower than they realistically should... I didn't see it at first because the game doesn't let you review the speeds of previous pitches like you could in previous years, so I never really knew what was happening.

But once I did figure it out, my strikeouts dropped to like 4-7 a game, so I've decided Timing belongs at default.

Lowering it back to default should fix your strikeout issue just the same.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:18 PM   #13
Pro

Don Jon's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Yeah, I ended up dropping the Timing slider back to default. The explanation is a pretty long one, but the short version is that I thought there was a problem with the timing window, and this problem was causing me to strike out like 15+ times a game... I eventually figured out that the problem was in individual pitch speeds & differentials - pitches coming in slower than they realistically should... I didn't see it at first because the game doesn't let you review the speeds of previous pitches like you could in previous years, so I never really knew what was happening.

But once I did figure it out, my strikeouts dropped to like 4-7 a game, so I've decided Timing belongs at default.

Yes the changeup to fastball mph difference is ridiculous. I often get shutout because a 75 ovr pitcher has a 97mph fastball, and a 76 mph changeup.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #14
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead

So if you lowered timing back to default, what did you adjust to get the improvement in strikeout reduction? I'm really struggling with hitting. Using directional buttons and on rookie plus. Lol. Never been this bad. I've considered raising timing but feared my k's would drop like you have found. Thinking of raising contact. I would appreciate your thoughts and expertise! Thanks!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcoons22
So if you lowered timing back to default, what did you adjust to get the improvement in strikeout reduction? I'm really struggling with hitting. Using directional buttons and on rookie plus. Lol. Never been this bad. I've considered raising timing but feared my k's would drop like you have found. Thinking of raising contact. I would appreciate your thoughts and expertise! Thanks!
My strikeouts naturally went down as soon as I caught on to the crazy pitch speed differentials, and told myself to wait longer on every pitch.

Try raising pitch speed, and just keep at it. I'm about 40 games in and I just got comfortable with the timing like maybe 6 games ago.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2015, 10:44 PM   #16
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

I'd like to give these a try bobhead, you gonna update the op soon?

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »