Home

Slider adjustment question.

This is a discussion on Slider adjustment question. within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2015, 01:25 AM   #1
Rookie

HMMurdock311's Arena

OVR: 5
Slider adjustment question.

First let me start off with a thank you to you Slider Guru's. I usually download a good set and play with that but, as I feel the game is mostly good on default, I'd like to try tweaking things myself.

I would LOVE to be able to draw walks at default All-Star but I just can't seem to do it. I just finished a frustrating game against the White Sox. They had Noesi pitching, keep in mind his stamina is about 67, and he went a full 110-ish pitch game against me. However, he was down to zero energy on his bar showing for the last 1 2/3 innings. Nearly every batter he faced with no energy he threw 3 straight balls, or 2-1, then like magic he couldn't miss the zone. I'd foul off 4 pitches or so until he just got me to pop out. It was just amazing that with no energy he still hit when he needed.

What, if any, sliders could/should I adjust to keep the scenario I just posted from happening?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2015, 01:50 AM   #2
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Slider adjustment question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMMurdock311
First let me start off with a thank you to you Slider Guru's. I usually download a good set and play with that but, as I feel the game is mostly good on default, I'd like to try tweaking things myself.

I would LOVE to be able to draw walks at default All-Star but I just can't seem to do it. I just finished a frustrating game against the White Sox. They had Noesi pitching, keep in mind his stamina is about 67, and he went a full 110-ish pitch game against me. However, he was down to zero energy on his bar showing for the last 1 2/3 innings. Nearly every batter he faced with no energy he threw 3 straight balls, or 2-1, then like magic he couldn't miss the zone. I'd foul off 4 pitches or so until he just got me to pop out. It was just amazing that with no energy he still hit when he needed.

What, if any, sliders could/should I adjust to keep the scenario I just posted from happening?

Glad to see a fellow O's fan on here. Check my sliders out, I was having a similar problem on All-Star hitting. Check out the hitting sliders atleast. Their at Veteran + Difficulty.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:13 AM   #3
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:

If you want to walk more, you definitely need to have a certain level of discipline. After each game, go check the batter analysis stats and see if you are swinging too often. "Taken" should be close to less than 50%... anything higher you may be swinging too aggressively to go deeper in counts. Also, you should strive to have less than 20 "Chase" each game. If you swing, it will be a strike so it is important to not make a pitch outside the strike zone a strike by swinging.

The CPU pitcher tends to lay one in the strike zone when he gets behind... but if you don't swing excessively he should still miss the zone more than 30% of the time.

I haven't talked about sliders, but that's because for walking it is essential to have some level of discipline. If the stats that I mentioned above are fine, and if you still have an issue drawing walks, then there are adjustments that could be made. But what you should do depends on where you are converting balls into strikes.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:47 AM   #4
Rookie

coreyerb's Arena

OVR: 0

I'm having this same problem, and my stats don't indicate I'm hacking - I can take 60+% of the time and still get maybe two walks a game max - exactly what Murdock said, get the count to 3 balls and everything the pitcher throws is straight down the middle or borderline and he'll get the call. Hasn't mattered much who's pitching.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyerb
I'm having this same problem, and my stats don't indicate I'm hacking - I can take 60+% of the time and still get maybe two walks a game max - exactly what Murdock said, get the count to 3 balls and everything the pitcher throws is straight down the middle or borderline and he'll get the call. Hasn't mattered much who's pitching.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, you might be taking too much (60%+ take certainly sounds like you are taking too much). When you don't punish CPU for throwing easy strikes, he should of course keep laying one in the strike zone when he gets behind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #6
Rookie

HMMurdock311's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
If you want to walk more, you definitely need to have a certain level of discipline. After each game, go check the batter analysis stats and see if you are swinging too often. "Taken" should be close to less than 50%... anything higher you may be swinging too aggressively to go deeper in counts. Also, you should strive to have less than 20 "Chase" each game. If you swing, it will be a strike so it is important to not make a pitch outside the strike zone a strike by swinging.

The CPU pitcher tends to lay one in the strike zone when he gets behind... but if you don't swing excessively he should still miss the zone more than 30% of the time.

I haven't talked about sliders, but that's because for walking it is essential to have some level of discipline. If the stats that I mentioned above are fine, and if you still have an issue drawing walks, then there are adjustments that could be made. But what you should do depends on where you are converting balls into strikes.
Hey nomo17k, thanks for providing some insight. I can draw walks. I can get about 2 or 3 a game. I don't have exact percentages but I feel I do a decent job of working the count. I will check and compare them to your numbers and see how I match up.

My problem is getting the CPU to stop being so precise all the time. In my example the pitcher ran out of energy early in the 8th. He still was laser precise after, and only after, getting behind in the count. I've had plenty of times where the pitcher, no matter his rating, just didn't miss. I'm ok with good high rated pitchers doing this, but not a 67 rated person being on all the time. That's why I'm trying to understand the ratings to fix this to my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc020791
Glad to see a fellow O's fan on here. Check my sliders out, I was having a similar problem on All-Star hitting. Check out the hitting sliders atleast. Their at Veteran + Difficulty.
tc020791, I'll check out your sliders tonight. You said it's on Veteran+? Does that play similar to All-Star? I REALLY enjoy the challenge of All-Star as Veteran was way to easy to hit on.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:04 PM   #7
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Hey nomo17k, thanks for providing some insight. I can draw walks. I can get about 2 or 3 a game. I don't have exact percentages but I feel I do a decent job of working the count. I will check and compare them to your numbers and see how I match up.

My problem is getting the CPU to stop being so precise all the time. In my example the pitcher ran out of energy early in the 8th. He still was laser precise after, and only after, getting behind in the count. I've had plenty of times where the pitcher, no matter his rating, just didn't miss. I'm ok with good high rated pitchers doing this, but not a 67 rated person being on all the time. That's why I'm trying to understand the ratings to fix this to my liking.

tc020791, I'll check out your sliders tonight. You said it's on Veteran+? Does that play similar to All-Star? I REALLY enjoy the challenge of All-Star as Veteran was way to easy to hit on.
I agree all star was too hard and veteran was too easy. Veteran + seems just right for me and where I have CPU control and consistency allows good pitchers to hit corners, like everyone seems to do on all star, and bad pitchers seems to throw more meatballs, like every pitcher seems to do on regular Veteran. Now there's more of a combo of the 2 not just one or the other.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #8
Banned

Go Yankees's Arena

OVR: 0

Have you tried the managers hook slider? I would turn that up to 6 or 7, that should help with the computer going the full 9 because if the computer pitcher gets in trouble in the middle innings the computer manager is more likely to yank him, so for instance, you get runners to second and third with no one out in the 6th inning, the computer manager is more likely to yank his pitcher even if they are throwing a shutout. That has been my experience, also, if you use quick counts it seems way easier to draw walks, i usually get between 4 and 7 a game and while pitching i give up anywhere from 2 to 8, but the game seems to play so differently for each person that experimenting is the only way to get what you want, good luck!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »