Home

WTNY's Worst Sliders Ever for MLB 16 (Vol. III)

This is a discussion on WTNY's Worst Sliders Ever for MLB 16 (Vol. III) within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: WTNY's Worst Sliders Ever for MLB 16 (Vol. III)

Thanks for posting. Can you say a little bit about why you went with Fielder reaction at 1?

I've recently began lowering Fielder speed, but was hesitant to lower reaction much.

What kind of results do you see with reaction at 1?

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #10
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
Thanks for posting. Can you say a little bit about why you went with Fielder reaction at 1?

I've recently began lowering Fielder speed, but was hesitant to lower reaction much.

What kind of results do you see with reaction at 1?

Thanks!
The reaction slider is at 1 because fielders cover too much ground with the reaction slider any higher. With the slider up too high, it prevents grounders from getting up the middle or down the lines. It makes it so there are too many double plays. And it also makes the ballparks play too small--not enough doubles and triples due to too many diving plays in the outfield. It is also visually distracting to see these players take zero time at all to get to top speed.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:01 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
The reaction slider is at 1 because fielders cover too much ground with the reaction slider any higher. With the slider up too high, it prevents grounders from getting up the middle or down the lines. It makes it so there are too many double plays. And it also makes the ballparks play too small--not enough doubles and triples due to too many diving plays in the outfield. It is also visually distracting to see these players take zero time at all to get to top speed.
Does it look odd visually seeing the fielders "wait" until they actually go for the ball? Is their "jump" non-existent with this setting?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-20-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Does it look odd visually seeing the fielders "wait" until they actually go for the ball? Is their "jump" non-existent with this setting?
Doesn't look odd at all. Plays very well. You can see who the better defensive players are. IMO, prior to the adjustment, fielders reacted too quickly.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:37 PM   #13
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
Not really, no. It's better having a short "waiting" period...although there really isn't anything that noticeable...than having psychic fielders that move before the ball leaves the bat. There is a waiting period in real life, too, you usually don't get to see because it gets lost in the camera transition from the batter to the play in the field. Watch a replay and you see players reading then reacting and not doing both simultaneously with no elapsed time.

Even if it does look bad to you, I'd argue that all the other issues with having the reaction slider up higher (too many double plays, ballparks playing too small, no down-the-line doubles, vacuum cleaner middle infielders) result in a much worse outcome and more unrealistic experience.

Last edited by WaitTilNextYear; 07-20-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #14
Banned

Quote:
The auto baserunning will initiate steals, but it might not trigger in situations you want to steal/might trigger in situations you don't want it to. How these sliders work is that maybe 25% of my steal attempts come automatically (you can boost this slider up if you want your runners to run more), but most of my attempts come from me manually triggering the steal (which you can still do on auto). In my mind, this gives the best of both worlds, where you don't have to lord over your baserunners on balls in play, but you can steal as much or as little as you want.

The only other thing worth mentioning about auto baserunning is that you will get some guys thrown out at home plate, which could be infuriating depending on the timing, but the decisions to go for home are mostly good ones. If you are good at manual baserunning, you might not like auto as much.

Obviously auto can't initiate a hit-and-run because you are batting manually, but you can always swing during a steal attempt to make it into a hit-and-run.

I'm not sure that I understand the question fully. The sim stats have more to do with your roster than sliders, although both matter. If you use the Hybrid roster along with these sliders, then the sim stats look good. For more detail, you can run a sim of your own and see what you think. Just using these sliders doesn't guarantee anything if your roster is bad.

thanks. I am using the hybrid v-2. I have simmed a season and stats are not corresponding to real life. If you do some tiered editing to the Pitcher's ratings and add DH to the NL, I have got stats almost spot-on to real MLB. CG's are really down - RP's GP/IP is great - and RP Appearances are excellent due to what I found in the sim engine BP logic.

the rosters you helped make are a great set to start with to create an even better experience. Thanks for your selfless contribution to the community.

Last edited by scrubs70; 07-20-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
Not really, no. It's better having a short "waiting" period...although there really isn't anything that noticeable...than having psychic fielders that move before the ball leaves the bat. There is a waiting period in real life, too, you usually don't get to see because it gets lost in the camera transition from the batter to the play in the field. Watch a replay and you see players reading then reacting and not doing both simultaneously with no elapsed time.

Even if it does look bad to you, I'd argue that all the other issues with having the reaction slider up higher (too many double plays, ballparks playing too small, no down-the-line doubles, vacuum cleaner middle infielders) result in a much worse outcome and more unrealistic experience.
I agree completely with this. The ballparks play way too small to begin with. One of the main things I noticed immediately was the amount of ground balls that were turned into outs. I could hit 16 ground balls per game, and only 2 would get through.. Many times none would get through. On average, the number of ground ball hits should be around 25% or so. (approx a. 250 average on ground balls) {sample size cannot be just one game}

No amount of hitting slider adjustments fix this. I could get my overall team batting average to look realistic in the box scores using hitting sliders, but in the game ground balls were outs, and almost all hits were line drives or home runs.

Fielding sliders bring everything back to earth.

The 'wait' due to Fielder reaction is realistic. There have been many times where I would frame by frame a replay of a real MLB game. Try this, and sometimes it will seem the fielder is frozen, and the ball has traveled a good distance before any movement is noticed. Then the first movement you see is often a 'hitch' or an initial reaction to seeing the ball. Then, movement toward the ball is noticed.

This is noticeable at full speed also, but rarely does the TV broadcast show an angle where you can see it until a replay is shown.

Bottom line is, fielding in this game is not going to be realistic, until slider adjustments are made. Like he said, they seem psychic.

You may not like it at first. It may seem like the fielders are moving in mud. But when you are used to seeing everything in fast motion (default) for 100 games, then suddenly change, it makes sense it would feel like that. Give yourself some time to get used to it, and watch those seeing-eye singles, and grounders down the line, start getting through.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-21-2016, 04:02 AM   #16
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
I agree completely with this. The ballparks play way too small to begin with. One of the main things I noticed immediately was the amount of ground balls that were turned into outs. I could hit 16 ground balls per game, and only 2 would get through.. Many times none would get through. On average, the number of ground ball hits should be around 25% or so. (approx a. 250 average on ground balls) {sample size cannot be just one game}

And don't get me started on FB BABIP's. The batted ball trajectory on flyballs drives me up a wall this year.

At least now I might actually get somewhere in the neighborhood of maybe the .200 irl.

Maybe. At least I have a chance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »