Home

Mike Lowe MLB The Show '18 Sliders

This is a discussion on Mike Lowe MLB The Show '18 Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #409
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Mike Lowe MLB The Show '18 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by eF 5ive
Nah, I try to go with what my guy is being the most efficient with. During the game I’m also trying to keep 3 pitches efficient but obviously that is more than likely dropping to 2 so using that 3rd pitch as a throw away or set up-esque pitch.

I’m using Justus Sheffield right now vs a hot Jays lineup. It’s his Rookie year. He’s pretty solid at K’s and jumping to an early pitchers count.

4SFB
Sweeping Curve
Circle Change
Slider

Vs Righties I’m pounding high and inside, low and inside. My throw away is 4SFB high to change eye levels and using the circle change in the dirt when ahead in the count. Inside sweeping curve ahead out of the strike zone vs aggressive hitters.

Lefties I’m looking low outside with offspeed, using the 4SFB outside the zone low to setup with slider outside zone mid-low (since its not always on target.)

The biggest learning curve for me was learning that not everything has to be a strike or you’ll get blasted. Once every now and then throw in that first pitch off speed or slider out the zone vs same handed P/H so you’re not using the same pattern every AB.

It’s sort of like hitting. I wanna smash everything but once I learned every strike isn’t a good strike, I started getting better.

I’m not a guru or anything at pitching so this could be totally flawed but it’s been working for me. I think I picked up on the outside and low vs Lefties based on the commentary, aha.

I also googled pitch types one day and found an article that sort of explained the ideal location for every pitch type in baseball. I can try to find it and link it to you (DM) if you want.

Edit: ^ that article helped me with finding out pitches to throw when there were runners where I could get weak contact to minimize runs, also.
Hi. Do you try to max out you pitch meter each pitch or do you mix up your pitch speeds as well?
Old 05-04-2018, 08:13 PM   #410
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
Hi. Do you try to max out you pitch meter each pitch or do you mix up your pitch speeds as well?

I do minimal the max on certain situations

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #411
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowie
1 closer
2 set up
4 middle relief
0 long relief
This one. 10 char
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2018, 09:14 PM   #412
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
Effectiveness doesn't always affect your pitch speed. I mix up via pitch selection. I sometimes max out effectiveness, but it's usually not necessary.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #413
Rookie

Luckster1044's Arena

As with real pitching, pitch speed effects break and drop based on the pitch type selected. Ive been playing with this, and am getting great placement on where I want the pitch to land using various speeds. the biggest and most effective I noticed is when pitching inside to batters.. If you max out, your more then likely to throw wild and bean him if you are not perfect with it. So, with less speed, less, break, and a bit more control or movement on the pitch, you can be a little safer with those types of pitches inside. Just my observation and thoughts on the matter.

Fastballs are obviously the least effected with this. You may see a few mph less with less power on the meter, but playing with the meter with changeups, sliders, and curveballs are very effective.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #414
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckster1044
As with real pitching, pitch speed effects break and drop based on the pitch type selected. Ive been playing with this, and am getting great placement on where I want the pitch to land using various speeds. the biggest and most effective I noticed is when pitching inside to batters.. If you max out, your more then likely to throw wild and bean him if you are not perfect with it. So, with less speed, less, break, and a bit more control or movement on the pitch, you can be a little safer with those types of pitches inside. Just my observation and thoughts on the matter.

Fastballs are obviously the least effected with this. You may see a few mph less with less power on the meter, but playing with the meter with changeups, sliders, and curveballs are very effective.

I couldn’t have said it better cause I started figuring out how that works with change ups I love mixing the speeds with placement that seems out of the box but starts in and drops out sliders are great for that too

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 05-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #415
Pro

OVR: 3

Thanks. My biggest issues this season are when the opponent go on absolute tears as well as some conveniently timely errors by my team. I am always looking for new ways to randomize my approach and wondered about pitch speeds. Appreciate the feedback!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #416
All Star

Mike Lowe's Arena

I don't know if it's because I'm playing the (back-to-back) World Series champion Cubs, or whether momentum carries over from the previous season (Cubs), or whether it's patch 1.08, but I keep having games where everything is fine, and then BAM 5-7 runs in 1 inning. 3 games in a row.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »