Home

MLB 18 A.S. hitting(directional)/ HOF pitching (classic) Quick Counts ON sliders!

This is a discussion on MLB 18 A.S. hitting(directional)/ HOF pitching (classic) Quick Counts ON sliders! within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
MLB 18 A.S. hitting(directional)/ HOF pitching (classic) Quick Counts ON sliders!

Hello everyone,

I consider myself a MLBTS veteran who has played this game for many years now. I always create a very solid set of sliders for myself but do not always share. Last year was the first time I did in years.

The reason why I am choosing to share my sliders again is because they are just different than any other on the forum with the different difficulty levels and the fact I ONLY play with quick counts on and have tested these with it on. I have played games without QC on and I just do not like it personally. Yes, having QC on has it's own things I wish I could avoid, but overall it has far more pros than cons imo.
#1 my time is limited with kids and a wife so getting few games in the amount of time it may take me to play just one game without QC is invaluable.

Before I post them I want to preface by saying I have tested my sliders for at good 25-30 games at least in franchise mode only. I test them in a test franchise playing with different teams, selecting to play one game at random each calendar day. Also in my Rockies only franchise I play one game per series and have played through the month of April in that franchise. But most of my testing was in the franchise where I've played random games with multiple different teams. My last game I was the White Sox for example.

The biggest thing I look at after each game is the BABIP for each team. With QC on, that pretty much gaurantees us a good ball/strike ratio, and base on balls throughout a game so I never really need to worry about those two critical pieces needed for a great slider set.

Overall the game is great out of the box and only a few things here and there need to be tweaked. You can see with my sliders that a lot of settings are left at the default (5) setting.

Here we go!

I play with QC ON

Game options: Batting & Baserunning

Hitting difficulty - Allstar
Hitting interface - Directional
Input type - Buttons
PCI - Off
Camera shift - Off
Hitting view - Fish eye (user pref)
In-play view offense- Broadcast
Guess pitch - Off
Baserunning decisions- Auto (user pref)
Sliding decisions - Assist
Runner windows - Off (user pref)

Game options: Pitching

Pitching difficulty - Hall of Fame
Pitching interface - Classic
Pitch feedback - N/A
Pitching view - Outfield (some team's broadcast view blocks the catchers fingers to see what he is calling for to pitch)
Ball marker - Classic Fade (user pref)
Pitch confidence- On
Pitch delay - Normal (user pref)
API - On (I leave it on because I pitch to location shown 99% of the time, but user preference here)

Game options: Fielding

Throwing interface - Buttons
Throw meter - Off
Fielding decision - Auto
Throwing decision - Off
In-play view defense - Broadcast
Throw cancelling - Off (I turn it off cause I tend to hit button twice in a hurry to turn double plays and screws me, but user preference here)
Catch position indicator - Off
Defensive shift- Auto (user pref)

Game options: General

Strike zone - Off
Hot zones - Off
Warm up relievers - On
Tutorial tips - Off
Scorebar display - On
Pitch select display - Off (highly recommend, and just look at catcher's fingers for called pitches)
Swing/pitch info - On (user pref)
Balks - Off
Umpire accuracy - Personalized
Umpire close plays - On
Check swing apeals - On
Injuries - On
Ejections - On
Vibration- On

SLIDERS Version 1.3 (4/18/18)

HUMAN SLIDERS:
Contact - 5
Power - 5
Timing - 5
Fouls - 2
Solid Hits - 5

SP Stamina - 6 (+1)

RP Stamina - 5
Control - 5
Consistency - 5

CPU SLIDERS:

Contact - 5
Power - 5
Timing - 5
Fouls - 2
Solid Hits - 5

SP Stamina - 6 (+1)

RP Stamina - 5
Control - 5
Consistency - 5
Strike Frequency - 5
Manager Hook - 4
Pickoffs - 5
Fastball Speed - 5 (user pref)
Offspeed Speed - 5 (user pref)
IF Errors - 9

OF Errors - 6 (-1)

IF Throwing Errors - 6
OF Throwing Errors - 1...this could be user preference in all honesty.
Fielder Run Speed - 6
Fielder Reaction - 4
IF Arm Strength - 5
OF Arm Strength - 5
Baserunner Speed - 3
Steal Ability - 7
Steal Frequency - 6
Wind - 5

Injury - 8 (played games only!)
Set injury slider to 5 for simmed MLB games.
This is important! If you leave it set at 8 you will see far too many injuries for simulated games. Minor leagues get hit HARD with injuries at settings any higher than default (5).

Trade Frequency - 1 (April and May), 5 (June-A.S. break), 10 (from Allstar break through deadline).

Try these out and share your results! Will be posting results of games played myself as well.

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo

Last edited by DarthRambo; 04-19-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2018, 11:40 PM   #2
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Re: MLB 18 A.S. hitting(directional)/ Legend pitching (classic) Quick Counts ON slide

Here are the box scores for the last two test franchise games I played. Game #1 I was the Twins. Both teams were hitting and I lost in the end after giving up 4 runs in the 8th inning.

Game #2 I was the White Sox. I hit a 3-run homer with 3B Davidson in the 3rd inning and held on to win it.

As you can see...game #1 there were 18 hits for Seattle and 13 for the Twins. Game #2 each team only managed 5 hits each. Love this!!20180413_233352.jpg1523677229418.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Operation Sports mobile app

Old 04-14-2018, 01:40 AM   #3
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Re: MLB 18 A.S. hitting(directional)/ Legend pitching (classic) Quick Counts ON slide

Finished a wild game between the Blue Jays(me) and the Orioles. A total of SIX homeruns hit, Steve Pearce hit two of them and surprisingly Chris Davis is zero of the six lol.

Two errors in the game, both by Baltimore. One was a fielding error on a single...RF Rasmus didn't field ball cleanly and allowed runner to advance to second. The second was a throwing error on the SS Beckham.

BABIP: Orioles - .375 Blue Jays - .333
Very happy with how this game played out. Back and forth...CP Britton came in saving 6/6 with a 0.00era...He gave up 4 hits and 3er in the 9th to blow his first save and get his first loss of the season. Osuna came in and shut down the Orioles heart of the order bottom of the 9th.

Here are the box scores and pitching stars for both teams.

]20180414_013156.jpg20180414_013526.jpg

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180414_011839.jpg (69.3 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by DarthRambo; 04-14-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Re: MLB 18 A.S. hitting(directional)/ HOF pitching (classic) Quick Counts ON sliders!

Next test game played...I was the Indians (my favorite team personally) against the hated Detroit Tigers.

I have been noticing a couple small things that irk me and will be making two slight changes.

#1 baserunner speed: I am lowering (back down) to 3. Too often guys who aren't that fast (60-65 speed) are going to third from first on singles that drop in front of outfielders. I had this set at 3 the last two or three years on this game anyway so going to 3 should've been where I was at to begin with.

#2 fielder speed: Idk what it is this year but the Outfielders seem lackadaisical when fielding fly balls. Far too many HIGH fly balls are dropping in front of outfielders that I feel in previous year's games would have been caught for an out. What is really strange to me is in previous years I actually lowered fielder speed to 3 or 4. This year I find myself needing to raise it up to 6 (as of now).

Here is the box score from my last game played.

BABIP: Detroit- .276 Cleveland- .355

20180414_112017.jpg20180414_112228.jpg

Old 04-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Re: MLB 18 A.S. hitting(directional)/ HOF pitching (classic) Quick Counts ON sliders!

Another game in my franchise played. This time I was the Astros taking on the Rangers. This game was played with new version 1.1 of my sliders, which are posted and updated on OP.

I was down 2-1 in the 8th...Tolleson walks a batter and Correa hits a no doubt HR to right centerfield to take the lead 3-2! Giles came in for the save.

One of my biggest gripes about this game that has always plagued it is the terrible job the AI does managing end of game situations, particularly with their bullpen.

I have manager hook at 4, and after the HR they left Tolleson in the game...okay sure I guess but they didn't even do a mound visit to get his confidence up a little! Next batter doubles down the line and they STILL left him in the game and np mound visit SMH.

I did this last year and will do it again, and did so this game. I switched control to the Rangers and brought in a new pitcher for them. And what do ya know, he gets out of the jam striking out two batters and keeps the score 3-2. If I didn't do this Tolleson would have continued to get rocked at least for another hit or two before the cpu finally yanked him.

I have manager hook at 4 and like it there. Any higher and they don't let the SP go far enough into a game imo. Even at 5 the AI is still garbage at managing end of game situations with their bullpen. They NEVER play the lefty vs lefty matchup game or vice versa either which bothers me.

But it is easy to switch over to their team and help them manage so I don't mind. I just wish they would fix this one of these years. Anyways, here are the box scores.

BABIP: Rangers- .227 Astros- .238

Altuve hit an inside the park homerun. If that was just a double or triple, the Astros BABIP rises to .273 so I'm good with that. If they left Tolleson in it would've easily jumped to well over .300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180414_141654.jpg (75.7 KB, 154 views)
File Type: jpg 20180414_143243.jpg (55.1 KB, 154 views)

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2018, 07:10 PM   #6
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Next game played in my 30 team, play with everybody franchise. I was the Mets taking on the Brewers who came in with an 11 game win streak. They got their 9th straight win against me when I played as the Cardinals.

Game was 1-0 until the top of the 8th inning when they hit a grand slam. Then put 3 more up in the 9th as I was frustrated myself with lack of offense against Chacin.

I had oppurtunities but left guys on base a few times as I drew 4 walks in the game. Problem was I only got 3 hits! Every timeI squared one up it seemed like it was hit right at someone, hit the pitcher a couple times which screwed me out of a couple hits, or hit into the shift up the middle.

BABIP: Brewers- .286 Mets- .130

Next game played I will be the Arizona Diamondbacks on the road @ LA Dodgers.

Pitching matchup: Shelby Miller; 1-0 1.93era 5k 4bb 14ip. VS Julio Urias; 1-1 8.10era 13k 9bb 10ip

Should be a good game. Hopefully I can get some offense going with Arizona after that last game with the Mets!20180414_185311.jpg20180414_185356.jpg

Old 04-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #7
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

I am going to start a whole new franchise playing with the Indians and Rockies both. I will play one game per series for each team with quick counts on and my slider settings.

I really don't see myself changing anything else unless a patch comes and changes something so much that I have to.

Last edited by DarthRambo; 04-17-2018 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #8
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Played first season opener with the Indians on the road against Seattle. Both teams with plenty of offense albeit no homeruns.

Andrew Miller gave up 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th and I lost 7-6. Box scores and pitching stats for both teams below. Very very frustrating loss as Miller was not able to get anyone to swing and miss!

Next game will be the Rockies @ Arizona. Tyler Anderson vs Robbie Ray. 20180416_201544.jpg20180416_201705.jpg

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »