Home

TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019

This is a discussion on TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019 within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-26-2019, 11:20 PM   #1
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019

First thing first, I did not design these sliders with a full sim experience in mind.

What I'm chasing with these sliders is a feeling while playing. I want my inputs to have impact, while at the same time I don't want to lose player differentiation and the thrill of managing a team properly. While I feel I've struck a nice balance, obviously this point is going to be different for different people.

Settings

Hitting Difficulty: All-Star or Legend

Hitting interface: Directional - Pairs great with the Directional Hitting Guide (shameless self-plug).

Input type: Buttons
Camera shift: Off
Hitting View: The Show 15
In-Play view offense: Medium
Guess Pitch: off
Baserunning Decisions: Assist
Baserunning Interface: Default
Sliding Decisions: On

Pitching Difficulty: Legend

Pitching Interface: Pulse I find pulse is the best interface is you want your input to have impact. Attributes still have a huge role to play, they effect how small the pulse can get, how large it can get, the speed it pulses at and tons of other variables. Overall a great interface for the melding of sim and player input.

Pitching View: Fish Eye

API:Off - When playing franchise, I take on the role of both pitcher and catcher. I have no interest in what the CPU thinks is good since I (the catcher) am the one calling the game. I'm also the manager in the dugout. Man franchise is fun.

Throwing Interface: Button Accuracy - Once again button accuracy is great for player impact, while still keeping the fact that attributes have an impact on the interface.

Throwing meter: On
Throwing decision: Off
In play view defence: Medium
Throw Cancelling: On
Hot Zones: Off

Anything not mentioned is user's choice, and even these settings are recommendations. However the base difficulties and interfaces need to stay the same for the slider set.

Sliders

Dynamic Difficulty Sensitivity: N/A

Human Contact: 3 8 - Human contact will effect a few things, like the size of the invisible PCI, the width of the timing window, check swing ability, foul frequency, and the bat exit velocity floors. Needed to be tuned down in order to unlock lower bat exit velocity floors, as at 5 they were too consistent.

Human Power: 6 - Power effects the bat exit velocity ceilings. Needed to be raised due to too consistent bat exit velocities.

Human Timing: 2 5 - Effects the success rates of all of the early and late results, effecting both the odds of solid contact and the odds of any contact at all. Also has a small impact on ideal timing.

Human Foul Frequency: 0 - This slider effects the contact rate on grossly mistimed pitches, allowing a batter's vision attribute to dictate a foul when the user mistimes a swing. At 0, the feature is basically turned off. Don't worry, high vision hitters will still have an easier time fouling pitches off due to the fact that they get a larger timing window, you just won't get any freebies.

Human Solid Hits: 4 6 - This slider effects the batters ability to track the ball and get quality hits on good inputs. To put it another way, it impacts launch angles. Had to be tuned down in order to compensate for the effects of turning up the power slider.

Human Starter Stamina: 8 - Starters won't be able to match real life pitch counts without this boost. Also solves some bullpen management issues with the CPU.

Human Reliever Stamina: 8 - See above.

Human Pitcher Control: 4 - While my previous settings had parity between CPU and human pitching ability, both sides needed to be loosened up a bit in order to prevent the pinpoint accuracy you could see on the previous settings and encourage more walks out of the human side.

Human Pitcher Consistency: 5

CPU Contact: 2

CPU Power: 6

CPU Timing: 2

CPU Foul Frequency: 0

CPU Solid Hits: 4

CPU Starter Stamina: 8 - Same reason as Human Starter Stamina

CPU Reliever Stamina: 8

CPU Pitcher Control: 5 4

CPU Pitcher Consistency: 7 5

CPU Strike Frequency: 5 - This setting dictates how often CPU pitchers pitch to the corners or attempt to get you to chase as opposed to "just getting a strike". Lowering the setting will make opponents more careful, raising it will make them more aggressive. Only effects their strategy, does not effect control. This is MUCH better in 19 then it was in any previous iteration.

Note: pitching strategy is much improved in 19, but finding parity in pitch control was difficult. At this setting, the CPU has equivalent control and consistency to a skilled human pulse pitcher playing on legend difficulty with these sliders.

CPU Manager Hook: 6

CPU Pickoffs: 4

Fastball Pitch Speed: Tuned to User's skill (-2) - must be the same as offspeed.

Offspeed Pitch Speed: Tuned to User's skill (-2) - must be the same as fastball.

IMPORTANT How to tune your pitch speed for your skill level: Having the right pitch speed for you is one of the most important things to figure out when playing MLB the Show. How to do this can vary in a case by case basis, and the input lag of your TV must always be considered. However, a general rule of thumb to follow is that a 99+ MPH fastball should feel extremely difficult to get out in front of, but not impossible. A slow changeup should be swung late on some of the time. If you feel like it's impossible to get out ahead of a fast fastball, your pitch speeds need to be turned down. If you are rarely behind a changeup, your pitch speeds need to go up.

Fielding Errors Infield: 10 - You will see a little more differentiation between good and bad fielders with this turned up. Needed to be turned up thanks to the reactions buff below.

Fielding Errors Outfield: 10 - I found with errors cranked up so high, it effected a lot more than catches. Bad fielders will have to look at the ball more, slowing down their speed in the outfield, and there were more instances where outfielders misjudged their cantor. Only elite fielders will be able to unlock their full speed regularly. This unlocks the potential for speedsters to make catches with amazing range, while having a similar effect to turning fielder run speed down.

Throwing Errors Infield: 8 - Since I'm using buttons accuracy, this only effects the CPU. Needed in order to compensate for a few factors.

Throwing Errors Outfield: 8 - See above.

Fielder Run Speed: 6 - Helps smooth out animation transitions and lets fielders unlock their full speed potential. The error rates prevent that from happening on every single play for the CPU.

Fielder Reaction: 6 - Effects both bat off the ball plays, and seemingly also has an impact on ball transition speeds as well, so plays like balls off the wall or error recovery will, in general, be a little bit snappier.

Fielder Arm Strength Infield: 7 - You'll see the ball snap out of fielders hands much more naturally at this setting. Also cannon infielders are much more of a weapon now.

Fielder Arm Strength Outfield: 8 - The ball path and trajectory will look natural far more often, and true cannon outfielders can be difference makers now. Again, probably was tuned for online play. There was a slight discrepancy between arms in the outfield and arms in the infield. This evens things out, and allows true power arms to make potential big plays at bases.

Baserunner Speed: 10 - Will see some real speed demons, and much more true to life speeds in general. Don't worry, slugs will still chug down the baseline, and the arm strength buff will keep things even steven for the most part. This just allows a slight bit more base hits on difficult grounders when you got a speedster running down the line, especially when facing a guy with a poor arm. Tags are also much improved this year, allowing for more leeway to increase baserunner speed to much more natural levels.

Baserunner Steal Ability: 3 - Has the most direct impact on stolen base success for both you and the CPU. Has the largest impact on the frequency of quality jumps as opposed to bad ones.

Baserunner Steal Frequency: 5

Wind: 8 - While power effects bat exit velocity, wind effects how well a ball carries once in the air. After watching MLB, both games and highlights, it was clear that wind wasn't nearly big enough of an impact. Don't worry, even at 8 wind will still have 0 impact at a game in a stadium with the roof closed. Needed to be tuned down from 10. While 10 had great impact on head and cross-winds, it was too powerful on the tailwind, especially in certain stadiums (looking at you Yankee stadium).

Injury Frequency: 5

Trade Frequency: 5 - There are other sets with better solutions, but I don't want to bother with changing my settings every in game month.

There you go! I've always said that everyone should make their own sliders, but hopefully showing you the changes I made, and more importantly why will help you find the slider setting of your dreams. Enjoy!

If you want your input to have even more impact when it comes to batting, the three sliders you want to focus on are Solid Hits, Foul Frequency, and Timing. Raising Solid Hits and lowering timing will reward good inputs more, while lowering both Foul Frequency and Timing will punish bad inputs more.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 09-28-2019 at 01:33 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2019, 11:22 PM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Re: TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019

This is version 8 and Version 1 of Legend sliders. Both are uploaded to the vault.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 09-28-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 AM   #3
Rookie

JasonIsGod's Arena

Outfielders are way too fast this year I knocked their speed down to 3.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:46 AM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonIsGod
Outfielders are way too fast this year I knocked their speed down to 3.
Can't say that I agree, you watch MLB, there are some guys who can cover some ground very quickly, and with liners being more prevalent this year we can allow for a bit more speed.

The real issue in the past was that an OF full range was basically their effective range, and since error rates were basically the same on tough plays as easy ones, turning up the errors slider did nothing. So we had to reduce their speed in order to compensate.

Now you'll see more errors on tough plays, along with more liners, so we can allow more range out of the outfielders. Bumping up errors and bumping down reaction causes more bad jumps and bad reads from bad defenders, add I've definitely seen more whiffs on balls that would have been practically guaranteed catches in 18.

I'm keeping an eye on it, outfielders do still feel too good after one day of adjustments, but I suspect bumping up their error rate further will solve the problem. I want to widen the gap between full range and effective range, especially on poor defenders.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #5
Rookie

Just want to say thanks for that hitting guide. Somehow I've never seen it before and was struggling a bit to hit on 19 so far. Now I'm busting 10 runs a game. About to have to up the difficulty because of it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

ok I played about 5 games last night with these. had a break from rosters my eyes were hurting lol

a few things, first of all the game seems harder this year with hitting. I tried on Hall of fame at first and couldn't get any more then 5 hits a game. with all start that improved slightly I am able to draw walks but hitting with runners in scoring position I struggled (Heidi wouldn't shut up about it LOL!) so mostly when I did score it was a sac fly or a home run. couldn't really can't past 3 or 4 runs a game.

One thing did find from going from HOF to all star was the CPU starting throwing a lot more wild pitches. and about 3 or 4 a game. on HOF they hardly threw a wild pitch at all. maybe it was a small sample size or a fluke I don't know but it's just something I found.

part of the problem for me might be the pitch speed I have it on 5 it seems a bit faster this year. I keep check swinging a lot too early with the off speed stuff as well, and somtimes a lot accidentally I think the pitch speed although people say is user preference I don't think it is I think it's a very important underrated slider that causes most of the issues balancing that out is hard.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
ok I played about 5 games last night with these. had a break from rosters my eyes were hurting lol

a few things, first of all the game seems harder this year with hitting. I tried on Hall of fame at first and couldn't get any more then 5 hits a game. with all start that improved slightly I am able to draw walks but hitting with runners in scoring position I struggled (Heidi wouldn't shut up about it LOL!) so mostly when I did score it was a sac fly or a home run. couldn't really can't past 3 or 4 runs a game.

One thing did find from going from HOF to all star was the CPU starting throwing a lot more wild pitches. and about 3 or 4 a game. on HOF they hardly threw a wild pitch at all. maybe it was a small sample size or a fluke I don't know but it's just something I found.

part of the problem for me might be the pitch speed I have it on 5 it seems a bit faster this year. I keep check swinging a lot too early with the off speed stuff as well, and somtimes a lot accidentally I think the pitch speed although people say is user preference I don't think it is I think it's a very important underrated slider that causes most of the issues balancing that out is hard.
Yes, pitch speed is one of the most important sliders when balancing for yourself, and pitch speeds are higher this year. If you were good on 5 with all-star last year, then you need to bring it down to 4.

I say user's choice not because it isn't important, but because the sliders will still apply effectively no matter the pitch speed. It is actually very important that you find the right pitch speed for you. General rule of thumb, if you find it impossible to get ahead of a fastball, you need to slow it down. If you're rarely behind a changeup, you need to speed it up.

Edit: Keep in mind these sliders are extremely tentative right now. I'm not playing these sliders right now, and I'm not going to post the news ones because I'm in a relative state of flux. Don't expect sliders that I'm actually confident in until late April.

Edit 2: Also, the ideal timing is a wee bit earlier this year based on the visual ball travel then last year. It's subtle, but at this point I'm confident it has changed.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 03-28-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

yeah well my 2nd game changing it till all star I ended up with a 11-9 game.. so either HOF changed to ALL star is a massive difference or this was just a 1 off. (which I hope it is so it shows variety in games. I have been playing games with different teams and stadiums I think it's the best way to test them rather then just playing with the same team

having said all before about pitch speed I think i have worked out my issue personally that I am having I have trouble seeing the ball in the daytime so I am always late or check swinging. because that 11-9 game was played in Toronto I had about 19 hits... so I actually think my issues are hitting in the day time. in some places it is hard to see the ball. so maybe with day games for myself personally I need pitch speed lower.

anyway playing a few more games on these sliders it's fun, I will keep it on all star. but maybe I should try a HOF in a night game to see if I can hit.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »