Home

itbeme23 The Show 20 "The Stats Approach" A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sim Sliders

This is a discussion on itbeme23 The Show 20 "The Stats Approach" A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sim Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-27-2020, 09:52 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: itbeme23 The Show 20 "The Stats Approach" A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sim Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by itbeme23
Yes, sir.

Just updated the OP.

In my attempt to increase the amount HUM BB/9, I've decreased the Consistency slider to 2. I've tried a few different combinations, but I've started to see the CPU hitters acting a bit wonky when the HUM Control slider is decreased too much. So, if there are any further changes, it will likely be to Consistency. This is very much still "in testing".

To see if I can eek out some longer outings by CPU starters, I've increased CPU Strike Frequency to 6. The hope here is to balance the count variation between hitter's and pitcher's counts. The idea is if the CPU pitchers "struggle" less, the manager will be more inclined to leave them in a bit longer on a per start basis. The auxiliary benefit here would be (in theory), a bit higher first pitch/overall strike percentages for the CPU as well. I'm still very early in my testing, though.

The pitch speed sliders are very much user preference, although they do have an effect on hit variety. I've decreased the both pitch speed sliders down to 8, since that's what feels good for me right now.

I'll keep the thread posted on any other changes, as I'll be playing games throughout the day.
Good stuff man. I'm looking for a set that will create as close as possible real life stats. I'm intrigued by yours. I wish they would split the manager hook to starters and relievers. Will be on the look out for further changes, for now I will give this a try.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:21 PM   #18
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: itbeme23 The Show 20 "The Stats Approach" A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sim Slider

Got a few more test games under my belt with the following settings:

Human Pitch Control: 4
Human Pitch Consistency: 2

It looks like this is going to be the setting that I roll with in franchise. In my experience, you will finally see walks given up by the user pitchers. Strike percentages are still a little on the high side, because the drop in Consistency does lead to a bit more balls in the strike zone, but the trade off is worth it. The benefit of added user walks far outweighs the slightly high user strike percentage. Pitchers with lower control ratings will have more of a hard time staying in the strike zone, with a higher likelihood of issuing walks. My biggest piece of advice here is to try to work the corners. This is how MLB pitchers approach pitching. Not only does it increase the likelihood of walks, but it also prevents you from spamming the middle of the plate. With the CPU hitting sliders set the way they are, if you miss up and/or in the middle of the zone, you WILL be punished. That's the way it should be.

CPU Strike Frequency: 8

There is a noticeable increase here, and it proves my theory that the less the CPU starting pitchers struggle, the longer they will go. The slider is true to its explanation, in that it affects the approach (i.e. strikes thrown) by the CPU pitcher early in the count. With this setting, I've seen a subtle uptick in CPU first pitch and overall strike percentages; however, not so much that they become too fine in their pitching. They will still miss off the plate, and most importantly, walks will still be there as long as you're patient. I've seen their strike percentages as high as 66%, and as low as 59%, so the variation is there. The better the pitcher, the more likely they'll be able to pound the zone. Really liking the results so far.

OP has been updated.

Cheers!
Old 03-29-2020, 04:06 AM   #19
Pro

OVR: 4

Hey there! I've been loving how pitching and batting has been feeling since your most recent changes. I also really love the zip of the fielding and the baserunners. However, I am really coming under the impression that errors are running a bit too rampant. I play every pitch of every game and I've been getting one error per game minimum. With a couple 4 error games and a 5 error game (combined HUM/CPU). I know that's not what you've been getting based on your OP so I just want to share my experience

This is over a 15 game sample size
Old 03-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #20
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001
Hey there! I've been loving how pitching and batting has been feeling since your most recent changes. I also really love the zip of the fielding and the baserunners. However, I am really coming under the impression that errors are running a bit too rampant. I play every pitch of every game and I've been getting one error per game minimum. With a couple 4 error games and a 5 error game (combined HUM/CPU). I know that's not what you've been getting based on your OP so I just want to share my experience

This is over a 15 game sample size
Hey man!

Thanks for the observations. I’m starting to see a trend ion increased errors as well. It’s frustrating for sure. Complete speculation on my part, but I think the latest patch may have tweaked gameplay a bit.

I personally think that having errors at default will result in errors being nonexistent. Again, my approach is to at least have the POSSIBILITY of errors occurring (through bobbles, poor routes, etc.), even if they don’t end up being scored as such. At default, I sincerely doubt that will happen. My next test will likely be with all errors set at 6. There might not be much we can do there after that.

An additional concern I gave is regarding CPU offense. Been having a string of games where there is hardly any runs scored by the CPU. Way more domination of HUM pitchers, even though there have been increased walks, and strike percentages still remain in realistic ranges. I observed this a couple of years ago, but the more you adjust HUM Control/Consistency, the CPU hitter’s logic changes. Almost like they become too patient at the plate, which seems to throw off their timing when they do decide to swing. I’ve been seeing a lot of weakly hit choppers, pop ups, and lazy fly balls, as opposed to the hit variety I was seeing at earlier points in my testing. Going to try increasing CPU Solid Hits by one click to see how that does.

If you’re not experiencing the same, by all means, keep CPU Solid Hits at 8, as it is in the OP. This is just a test I’m doing on my own.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!
Old 03-30-2020, 11:23 AM   #21
Just started!

I've replied to you but i don't understand 'cause i'm under mod
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-31-2020, 05:15 AM   #22
Rookie

The_Gryphon75's Arena

My friend, I am at the second test with your sliders and your gameplay, a minimum revisited according to my game parameters but still close to how you set it up.
The feelings I am experiencing are very good.
At the moment the data are too sparse and I will have to make them more consistent and homogeneous.
From a practical point of view, just of the game, although not being a great professional like you Americans, it sees me feel more secure and more in the game every time, even if I lose often. But the most important thing is not to feel that sense of frustration in having to play while maintaining particular attention to the final statistics.
There is always some point of improvement as obvious in my game but with this setting I think I can face a good season.
I aim to get to a minimum of 10 test matches at least to have a group of data that I can analyze and maybe publish.
I am also recording some videos of the highlights.
However, I am very happy that this year you are back to publish your sliders.
See you soon
Twitch: LIVE Italy Clan
Twitter: Tweet Italy Clan
Old 03-31-2020, 08:15 AM   #23
Rookie

dpc134's Arena

I have been using your sliders for previous 6 games in my carry over franchise, with the exception of using HOF for hitting. The results have been very good. HRs are tuned down and I am seeing alot of hit variety. Nice job!
Old 03-31-2020, 03:08 PM   #24
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Hey, y'all.

After running through another half dozen test games, I've decided to finalize the set.

The following changes will be FINAL (instead of "in testing") to the OP:

Human Pitch Control: 4
Human Pitch Consistency: 2

CPU Solid Hits: 9 (Feel free to leave this at 8, if you're seeing realistic results)
CPU Strike Frequency: 8

Infielder Fielding Errors: 6
Infielder Throwing Errors: 6
Outfielder Fielding Errors: 6
Outfielder Throwing Errors: 6

Fastball Pitch Speed: 8
Offspeed Pitch Speed: 8

Injuries: 9 (6 in simmed games - Credit to Armor)

I'm really happy with the results I've gotten from this set, especially with the the most recent adjustments. In my test games, I've used different teams, both AL and NL, with all starters (aces to 5th starters). Honestly, there isn't much more I feel the game needs from a slider perspective. I'm seeing the variety in games that you see on a daily basis in real-life MLB.

Case in point, my last three games:

Game 1:

A close game between the Phillies and Marlins (HUM). This game was back and forth. Phillies scored in the top of the first, but the Marlins came back with two of their own in the bottom of the frame. Marlins would take the lead in the 3rd, only for the Phils to score two of their own in the 4th. It would be a battle of the bullpens after the 6th inning, with the Marlins prevailing in the end. Final score was 5-4, with each team mustering only 7 hits a piece.

Game 2:

A blowout game between the Rockies (HUM) and the Padres. Close game until the 4th inning, when the Rox took a 3 run lead. They would add another run in the 5th, and tack on another FOUR runs in the 9th, as the Padres bullpen fell apart. Final score was 8-0, with the Rockies racking up 11 hits to the Pads 5. Best part? None of the Rockies runs were from homers.

Game 3:

A crazy game between my hometown Dodgers and the Rockies. German Marquez (Rockies starter) dominated the entire game, and he took a NO-HITTER INTO THE 9TH INNING! He would finally give up a lead off single to rookie Gavin Lux to end the no-hit bid. After retiring pinch hitter Matt Beaty and Joc Pederson, the Dodgers were down to their last out with Mookie Betts...who would hit a screaming double down the left field line to score Lux from first. Next up would be Justin Turner, who would smoke an opposite field gapper off the wall to score Betts from 2nd. Up comes Cody Bellinger, who...

HITS A TOWERING FLY BALL TO RIGHT CENTER FIELD FOR A WALK-OFF HOMER IN THE BOTTOM OF THE 9TH!!!

Keep in mind, this was after being dominated by Marquez the entire game. One of the coolest walk-offs I've ever experienced in my time playing The Show.

That's only the last three games, so if those are any representative of how the sliders will play out over the course of a full season, then I'm really excited to just PLAY the game, rather than continue testing.

As I said in the OP, feel free to adjust the sliders to your liking/skill level. I will continue to monitor the thread for feedback, and to answer any of the questions that pop through. After playing well over 50 test games, I'm happy to say the set is FINAL, barring any major gameplay changes from future patches.

Enjoy The Show, gentlemen!!! We'll chat soon.

Cheers!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »