Home

What do you need added to MLB 23 to purchase it?

This is a discussion on What do you need added to MLB 23 to purchase it? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2023, 11:35 PM   #345
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What do you need added to MLB 23 to purchase it?

I’m really fine with the gameplay. Old things like bullpen logic, bunting, AI lineups … I’ve given up. It will never change. Graphics however I’m not giving up on. We need it. I have slight hope for uniforms at least. If not .. skipping for the first time in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2023, 09:18 AM   #346
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I think the better move for Sony would be to announce they’re doing a 24 month rebuild but leave the 23 version of franchise in 24 so we can at least play with updated rosters. I think it would be well received if they’re transparent about what they’re doing and don’t make us wait until February 2025 to tell us what changes they’re making
At the very least if they ever did that I am sure they would throw in a roster update so you have the new rosters for the year no game is coming out. They would never take a cycle off just saying they could consider it. WWE did that with their game waited two years and the new version was fantastic. But then again WWE had so many issues. MLB the Show never has had as many issues as WWE had.
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 02-12-2023, 11:00 AM   #347
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
or, I wonder how people would feel if they announced next February Show 24 wouldn't have a franchise mode, and take a full two years to rebuild franchise from the ground up, with a planned return for franchise in Show 25

would most people be ok with that?
I think most people would, but most OS people, maybe not
As someone who buys every other year I would love this! But I understand I'm in the minority on that (though it also does make me a happier gamer not feeling the need to buy and be disappointed every year).

Last year was my "scheduled" year to buy The Show, and it was going to be my first on PS5. As someone who loved SOTS and was still having a lot of fun with OOTP 22, I opted to buy The Show 21 since I knew I wasn't getting SOTS anyway in 2022. I also knew while the new commentary was nice, there was a very good possibility that they didn't have enough time to record enough commentary and names for the database that the game would feel empty (which is kinda what happened?).

21 was fine. I didn't even use the Stadium builder at all, which I was excited to use. I'm still on the fence for 23 because there are still so many things I want to do with OOTP 22 that I don't know if I'd play The Show as often as I should to warrant the purchase. It's hard for me to rationalize getting the game if the dev team doesn't share the same enthusiasm for the only mode I share enthusiasm for (offline franchise). While there's the gameplay and graphics sacrifice, it's just way easier for me to do what I want to do with an OOTP version from two years ago than anything The Show is going to have by like 2028.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:11 AM   #348
Pro

OVR: 5

The number of last names was 5030 in 21 and only 1552 in 22. I will be looking to see what the number is in 23

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-12-2023, 05:49 PM   #349
Rookie

FindingTim's Arena

OVR: 4

I've bought a baseball video game pretty much every year of my life until 2022.

So I can't speak to last year's version.

But imo the graphics, player models, and swings had grown tired. It felt like an older system being "lightly polished" each year - while other game features, often ones that I don't care so much for, get highlighted as reason for buying the new version.

The new swing finishes in 2021 were nice. I'll say that. But the actual swings themselves look pretty bad imo. Games from 10+ years ago have more fluid swing animations.

It's obviously nit-picking because compared to, say, Triple Play 98 (Brian Jordan represent!) everything about the modern Show is unbelievably awesome. But as someone who has played a lot of baseball and watched a LOT of baseball... there is something mechanical about the gameplay I can't quite put my finger on. And it keeps me from enjoying the game. I believe a timing, non-cursor-based hitting mechanic -- if done super well -- would be a revelation.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:58 AM   #350
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

I'm a slut for updated rosters with new face scans, so I always buy the new version.
Old 02-14-2023, 11:23 AM   #351
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
I'm a slut for updated rosters with new face scans, so I always buy the new version.

I don’t believe they face scan everyone year to year. Would be hard to get that many big leaguers on site

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-14-2023, 08:47 PM   #352
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreedyGenius
I don’t believe they face scan everyone year to year. Would be hard to get that many big leaguers on site

In the past they have done them at spring training. Not every player gets an update every year, but they always add a bunch each cycle

Thanks Peyton. #18

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »