Home

Uniforms in MLB The Show 23 appear to have gotten a noticeable graphical upgrade.

This is a discussion on Uniforms in MLB The Show 23 appear to have gotten a noticeable graphical upgrade. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-10-2023, 01:35 PM   #41
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Uniforms in MLB The Show 23 appear to have gotten a noticeable graphical upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I thought after seeing the negro league uniforms this could finally be the year we see unbuttoned shirts, better dirt/grass stains, chains free flowing instead of static glued on. I mean like anything that would lift this game out of the ps4 era but by the looks of the small tidbit we got we probably have another year where we won’t see any of that
I don't know if any of you guys are familiar with this term but in Angels fandom we have the saying, "getting buttercupped".

So up until a few years ago, Angel Stadium would play the song "Build Me Up, Buttercup" by The Foundations after the 7th inning stretch. It's a good song and all but it became quite infamous with fans because the lyrics in the chorus ("Why do you build me up, Buttercup baby, just to let me down?") encapsulate pretty much everything bad about being a fan of the Angels, especially over the last decade. Thinking the team is turning a corner, or getting hot at the right time to make a run at the playoffs, getting your hopes up, only for the team to falter at the last possible second, and let you down. Over and over again.

It happens all the time. Even just last year, the Angels got off to pretty much their best start in franchise history, looking like they might be playoff bound for the first time in 7 years, only to immediately go on a 14 game losing streak and be out of the race by July. We got buttercupped. Or when Arte Moreno (our dogs*** owner) announces he's selling the team, we start hearing that really great owners like Joe Lacob are interested in buying, and we start daydreaming about the team turning itself around under an owner who isn't completely incompetent, only for Arte to turn around and take the for sale sign down (for "reasons"), and now we're stuck with him indefinitely. Buttercupped.

My point is, before any info was put out about about The Show 23, I didn't really have any hope or feeling that they were going to update the uniforms. Even though it's something that is obviously pretty important to me, I had hoped and hoped over the last 10 years or so that it would change only to never see it happen. So I kinda just stopped hoping and was somewhat content. And then the video for Storylines dropped and I did a huge double take. It looked like they finally did it, they changed how the uniforms looked and it looked as good as I'd always imagined. It was amazing. Obviously I'm very excited about it, and start counting down the days to the feature premiere. I got my hopes up, they "built me up".

Then the feature premiere started and the very first thing I see is a short trailer of modern players in the same old uniforms. And over the length of the video it's becoming increasingly obvious that the redesigned uniforms are just for Storylines. The mode looks great and all but I end coming away feeling a bit deflated and disappointed, they "let me down".

They buttercupped me, man.

Last edited by breakfastcat; 02-10-2023 at 01:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2023, 01:46 PM   #42
MVP

bp4baseball's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Uniforms in MLB The Show 23 appear to have gotten a noticeable graphical upgrade.

In addition the negro league uniforms have better textures, but don’t have much better cloth physics and severely suffer from clipping animations.

Last edited by bp4baseball; 02-10-2023 at 01:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:05 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 3

We need to have a lot more ability to customize the uniform. Many players have the top button un-buttoned....some guys un-button more than one button. MLB 2k7 could allow you to un-buttom the uniform, I don't know why in 2023 The Show likely can't.

Many players also do not wear an undershirt under the jersey. To make the game true to life, we should be able to remove the undershirt. Some players do not wear the same color undershirt as the rest of the team, we should be able to change that color as well.

High socks need to be updated as well. There are some players who pull them up over their knees for whatever reason. It's not my style, but it's being done, so I want it in the game.

We need the "oven mitt" for base runners to put on their hands. Nobody wears that "wrist brace" or whatever it's called that they've had in the Show for years.

Many runners run the bases with their batting gloves on. In the Show, if you get on base, your batting gloves automatically come off. This should be changed to wear a player can either run the bases with the gloves on or off, and if off, they can wear the brace or mitt on their hand(s).

We put Jazz on the cover because he's so charismatic and we want to embrace the "kids" and the new flashy style of baseball.....so chains should be updated. Some players wear many chains/necklaces and a lot of them hang outside the uniform. They should add more chains/necklaces.

I'm sure none of what I listed will actually be added into the game anytime soon, if ever....but these are some things I would like to make the uniforms more realistic.

Oh, and ADD BACK THE RED LABEL RAWLINGS GLOVE FOR GOD'S SAKE!
Old 02-10-2023, 02:26 PM   #44
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL375
We need to have a lot more ability to customize the uniform. Many players have the top button un-buttoned....some guys un-button more than one button. MLB 2k7 could allow you to un-buttom the uniform, I don't know why in 2023 The Show likely can't.

Many players also do not wear an undershirt under the jersey. To make the game true to life, we should be able to remove the undershirt. Some players do not wear the same color undershirt as the rest of the team, we should be able to change that color as well.

High socks need to be updated as well. There are some players who pull them up over their knees for whatever reason. It's not my style, but it's being done, so I want it in the game.

We need the "oven mitt" for base runners to put on their hands. Nobody wears that "wrist brace" or whatever it's called that they've had in the Show for years.

Many runners run the bases with their batting gloves on. In the Show, if you get on base, your batting gloves automatically come off. This should be changed to wear a player can either run the bases with the gloves on or off, and if off, they can wear the brace or mitt on their hand(s).

We put Jazz on the cover because he's so charismatic and we want to embrace the "kids" and the new flashy style of baseball.....so chains should be updated. Some players wear many chains/necklaces and a lot of them hang outside the uniform. They should add more chains/necklaces.

I'm sure none of what I listed will actually be added into the game anytime soon, if ever....but these are some things I would like to make the uniforms more realistic.

Oh, and ADD BACK THE RED LABEL RAWLINGS GLOVE FOR GOD'S SAKE!

Agree with everything you said here. Improved cloth physics would do a lot in terms of how the game looks but what’s really missing is those extra little details that differentiates players in real life. The unbuttoned, no undershirt, 3 gold chains look is being adopted by a lot of MLB players today and it’s not represented in this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 02-10-2023, 08:52 PM   #45
Rookie

Seeing the uniform template change made my heart skip a beat … seeing this convo breaks it lol I said to myself this is the first time since god knows when I won’t be buying until I see something new visually … same uniform templates since ps3 is …. Something. I hope we are pleasantly surprised but I’m not holding my breath.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2023, 08:24 AM   #46
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

Talking about old gen visuals…the “breadcrums” on the dirt were added as a next gen feature when the ps4 came out. Now I wasn’t blown away back then but now coming in on the 3rd year on the ps5 and it hasn’t changed one bit.

I think it might even look better without the random breadcrums on top of the tarmac like infield.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:17 AM   #47
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastcat

This comparison I made highlights a number of improvements to the look of uniforms. First of all just getting an new overall style, with the collar and looser fitting pants is a new template. They've even added old-style equipment like the glove and cleats. The texture is much more apparent and looks like it is actually made of wool. The older model looks like clay in comparison. The cloth also appears to sit on the body much more naturally and doesn't look stiff or bulky.

Still have yet to see how it animates but from these stills, it already looks like a massive improvement. Excited to see if they've added real-time cloth simulation so it can react to movement or even the wind realistically. Overall I'm very happy with how this looks, considering the look of the uniforms in previous games never looked great to me. Good job SDS
Thank you OP for posting these comparison shots. I had, of course, noticed the added old time gear, baggy pants, and collared jerseys, but hadn't really noticed the general uniform improvements.

But seeing those shots of MBTS22 next to MLBTS23 really makes the improvement stand out!

Of course, I'm eager to see these uniform improvements present in other game modes other than just this Storylines mode.

Thanks again and I'm so looking forward to the new game!
Old 02-11-2023, 10:24 AM   #48
Rookie

dbekoscke's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury
These new jerseys are looking pretty phenomenal. Too bad the grass and dirt didn't get any love from graphic designers on those screens.
Fingers still crossed over here that next year (MLBTS24) will be the full next/current gen graphical leap. I'm hoping that this is the last year that this game is held back by last gen consoles.

Video games are going to continue being held back until developers leave the past in the past.

XSX, and especially PS5, are going to be much easier to cop in the next 12 months leading up to the release of MLBTS24, so millions of people will have current gen consoles in their homes.

SDS will still be able to do crossplay between XSX and PS5. You can tell that they really love to beat the crossplay drum now between old gen and current gen, but time to move on. Let's focus on the future.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »