Home

I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers...

This is a discussion on I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers... within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 06-12-2023, 11:36 AM   #105
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I'm gonna say it & it might ruffle some feathers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCoach2.0
Here is my two cents:

To sum it up in a simple phrase ....23 is a game that has 500 things correct and 15 things wrong...what I mean by that is not the literal number but the fact that the depth of the simulation far outweighs the problems the game has.

This years game is a test of your managerial skills as much as it is your playing skills. If you truly don't understand baseball strategy you will not have much fun with this years game. The offensive AI is strong this year.

IMHO it is the world's first TRUE sports simulation due to the difficulty of winning when you play all your franchise games. You really have to know how to pitch to beat the stronger AI . It is very hard to close out a win against the CPU.

The only issue is the problem with too many K'S but I was able to solve that by increasing the CPU foul tendency slider. I know most people say that changing that slider doesn't affect contact but it worked for me to eliminate a lot of the swings and misses. We ALL pitch and play differently so maybe that will not work for everyone.

Example:

If 10,000 people or whatever number are playing the game at any given time they will have 10,000 unique pitching and playing patterns. This makes finding a universal solution to any problem pretty much impossible.

You have to experiment and find your own solutions. The sliders are there for a reason.

It is amazing how the timing and action from the show measures up to a real game. It really shows you just how much they got right when you play the show as a simulation.
I don’t agree w your second paragraph at all. I can pop in a PS3 MLB the Show game right now and get the same if not better sim - real life gameplay. Not to mention that was the era of bunting, double switches etc.

They are so lucky no one bunts anymore - the Mark McGwire line drives on bunt attempts would have people going insane.

And this version of the game (ON LEGEND) much easier to win than last year’s game. Not even close for me.

This game is so close to being so great… but they kill it bc they invest into too many other branches of the game I.e. online, etc.

Last edited by GAMEBREAKER85; 06-12-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-12-2023, 11:45 AM   #106
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAMEBREAKER85
One thing I noticed about raising the CPU timing - the higher I had it, I saw a lot more check swings on strikes. I think my personal fav. Setting for cou timing is at 6 maybe 7 max.

This morning I played a couple games and for the first time I did NOT play on personalized strike zone for umpire settings. I played on the “MLB Average” setting and it was sooooo much more enjoyable.
Ive actually thought about switching to MLB average, but more to turning off check swing appeal. Ive noticed in early counts it favors ball and for third strike it favors strike. Which doesnt bother me until I see the batter flinch and not take the bat off his shoulder and they call it strike 3.

Disclaimer: This is not in any way negative towards SDS or MLBTS. The game is perfect. All comments made are off observation and playing said game.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 06-12-2023, 03:20 PM   #107
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianSummer
I agree KT I am usually pretty good at manipulating the sliders to get the game to play how I want it but I don’t think I can slow down the strikeouts.

I have played on HOF for years, this year I’m playing on Legend and have had to add punch to the AI as well. This is troubling, if the game becomes to easy to beat….I will be done with it. The challenge is what I like. I guess that is why I have never won the series since I started playing in 06. The strikeouts are out of control as I have changed AI contact to 6 and timing to 10 trying to slow them down. It has helped some but they are still to high.
Check your PMs.
Old 06-12-2023, 08:57 PM   #108
*p*r*t**n Sp*rts J*nk**

snaz16's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by forme95
Ive actually thought about switching to MLB average, but more to turning off check swing appeal. Ive noticed in early counts it favors ball and for third strike it favors strike. Which doesnt bother me until I see the batter flinch and not take the bat off his shoulder and they call it strike 3.

Disclaimer: This is not in any way negative towards SDS or MLBTS. The game is perfect. All comments made are off observation and playing said game.
I posted this last night on the patch 9 thread,and I have both check swing appeals turned off and umpire calls set to perfect. There are still check swings though not as many and you will get a ton of pitches on the edge that become balls. Give it a shot for a game or two. What have you got to lose? The caveat to this is you will walk more also.
Old 06-13-2023, 12:54 PM   #109
MVP

forme95's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaz16
I posted this last night on the patch 9 thread,and I have both check swing appeals turned off and umpire calls set to perfect. There are still check swings though not as many and you will get a ton of pitches on the edge that become balls. Give it a shot for a game or two. What have you got to lose? The caveat to this is you will walk more also.
Thanks for the feedback. I will give it a try

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)
Old 06-13-2023, 05:50 PM   #110
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I'm pitching on Legend right now with CPU contact/power/solid hits/fouls at 5/7/5/5 right now and getting good strike out and whiff results. My biggest issues right now are actually the CPU not chasing enough. Contact rates in the zone are a little high, out of the zone a little low (but a LOT better than when I was on All-Star), but over whiff rates are decent (on the low side of MLB averages, but given that I have a very poor pitching staff, makes sense).

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2023, 06:33 PM   #111
Rookie

I currently have an in-game save in the 7th inning 0-0 - this would make me have a 26 inning scoreless streak at the moment on the mound…

Legend Pitching with Pitch Control Down to 4 and CPU hitting sliders raised to help the computer.

I think I’m 34 games into the season & given up more than 5 runs one time w/ the Mets (rarely do I give up more than 2-3). Team ERA under 3.00, 1st in MLB in Team ERA, Ks, Least HR allowed, top 3 in least hits allowed.

I’m enjoying the grind but this game is still an enigma. And it just feels blah with those team pitching stats.

*Anyone else on the PS4 during Day games getting an issue when you’re batting of right before being set in the box the uniform on your hitter kind of flickers like the shadows are messed up?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2023, 06:39 PM   #112
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
I'm pitching on Legend right now with CPU contact/power/solid hits/fouls at 5/7/5/5 right now and getting good strike out and whiff results. My biggest issues right now are actually the CPU not chasing enough. Contact rates in the zone are a little high, out of the zone a little low (but a LOT better than when I was on All-Star), but over whiff rates are decent (on the low side of MLB averages, but given that I have a very poor pitching staff, makes sense).

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
This is close to what I use for pitching on classic and its working well.

Sent from my thoughts

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »