Home

No Y2Y Saves means Franchise Mode Loses Story Telling thru Gameplay

This is a discussion on No Y2Y Saves means Franchise Mode Loses Story Telling thru Gameplay within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-12-2024, 07:41 AM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
No Y2Y Saves means Franchise Mode Loses Story Telling thru Gameplay

Article on this very topic on OS

----------------------------------

For the 3rd straight year MLB The Show will not have Y2Y saves and thus will not have what I consider a very underappreciated franchise feature, story telling thru gameplay.

Confused? Let me explain.

MLB The Show does one of the best, if not the best, job of simulating its respective sport on the field of play. The gameplay in The Show series has been a staple of the series for years and seemingly gets better with each new installment. And due to it being so good, playing games within franchise mode allowed me to see events play out "in real time" and not just printed text on a screen.

Now I know people are thinking, well you can still play the games, so you're getting the story telling aspect, which is true. But what I'm missing is seeing stories play out over of the course of several seasons. And when I say several, I don't mean 2 or 3, I'm talking 7, 8, or more.

With MLB '14 SDS released the greatest feature I never knew I wanted, or needed, with Y2Y saves. And it wasn't until MLB '16 that I actually took advantage of this feature, and over the course of the next 5 installments of MLB The Show, I would get thru 13 seasons in one franchise. And it was glorious!

The stories that played out over those 13 seasons, I still vividly remember. Like the Yankees never making the playoffs (sorry Yankee fans) to the drafting of a player named Juan Fabregas, who was switch hitting outfielder who wasn't the best in the field, had a noodle arm, but could hit. He was a C potential that eventually made it to B, and went from a late round draft pick to an All-Star and contender for the National League MVP in the span of 8 seasons. I watched as the Marlins went from bottom feeders to World Series Champions and a "rival' of my Cardinals for 3 years as we battled in the playoffs, twice in the NLCS with us each winning once. I watched players hit their 500th homeruns, earn their 1000th strikeout, and watched as rookies climbed the ranks from the stars of tomorrow to becoming the stars of today.

And all of this unfolded one game at a time, one pitch at a time over 13 glorious 162 game seasons, plus Spring Training, All-Star Games, and playoffs. Each game told a story that would be continued the next day. Each season told a story that would continue the next year. Each draft started the beginning of All-Star caliber career, and dare I say Hall of Fame career that would play out over time.

And now, all of that is gone, or at least extremely condensed. Its hard to watch stories unfold and enjoy the story telling when you know that at some point its going to end, unless of course you choose to stick with the current version. And while that is an option, I remember a time when it wasn't an either/or option. I could benefit from the newest updates and features all while continuing the stories being told on the field.

It was never a marketed feature of Y2Y saves, but it sure as hell was a feature... story telling thru gameplay. One pitch, one out, one inning, one game, one season at a time.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by ChaseB; 03-13-2024 at 06:02 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2024, 08:52 AM   #2
Rookie

WillieB1214's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: No Y2Y Saves means Franchise Mode Loses Story Telling thru Gameplay

I can remember having a carry over RTTS that went for several games and got about 8/9 years in while also playing franchise. My PS4 at the time crashed and I lost that save, and while obviously incredibly sad over that, I also knew I could start over and get that back going again and be able to carry it over. It so happened to be the last year of Y2Y saves. I was so deflated by that I never fully jumped back in. While not franchise, that RTTS was what I loved carrying over while starting a new franchise, and not being able to do that has sucked and kept me away from the mode. My favorite feature they have ever implemented and while I don't know if we ever will again, I would be overjoyed if we did.

I did have a franchise that I was carrying over, but lost that save as well at the time about 3 seasons in, also deflating but not as much as the RTTS. Hopefully we get it again one day!
Old 02-12-2024, 09:26 AM   #3
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

I keep buying the game each year, and I absolutely love what they've been giving us.

What I miss the most about Y2Y saves though, is watching a young guy pile up stats for 8-9 seasons that you control. Maybe a young guy you drafted has racked up 225 HR's over an 8 year span, and you were there for all 225.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:26 AM   #4
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

I as well loved the y2y saves for RTTS, I started it the year y2y saves was a thing. I played every game with my guy and I was in the year 2028 when the MLB 20 cycle ended. Sadly, that's where my career came to a halt. I haven't touched RTTS since because it hasn't changed much and I'm still salty about my above career coming to an end.

Heck, maybe I need to get the ps4 loaded back up and get back into that off and on until my player ends up retiring. Get some closure all these years later.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC

Last edited by Fiddy; 02-12-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:32 PM   #5
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Holy Cow Country Boy, 13 seasons!? That's the kind of yearly accumulation in sports Franchise Mode I only achieve with Madden. If Madden ever had Y2Y I bet I could get a hundred seasons in on one franchise. I have to wonder if EA attempted Y2Y would that give Sony incentive to get their Y2Y back sooner rather than later.
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-12-2024, 07:04 PM   #6
Rookie

While I enjoyed Y2Y saves, the one issue that bothered me about it was how they replaced the players that weren’t in the new games roster. You’d have to go through the whole league and see which players got default names and faces and have to update them if those players hadn’t already retired. I understand why that happened, but it was a bit frustrating.

Other than that, completely agree with your sentiment.
Old 02-13-2024, 10:22 AM   #7
Pro

SFNiners816's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
For the 3rd straight year MLB The Show will not have Y2Y saves and thus will not have what I consider a very underappreciated franchise feature, story telling thru gameplay.

Confused? Let me explain.

MLB The Show does one of the best, if not the best, job of simulating its respective sport on the field of play. The gameplay in The Show series has been a staple of the series for years and seemingly gets better with each new installment. And due to it being so good, playing games within franchise mode allowed me to see events play out "in real time" and not just printed text on a screen.

Now I know people are thinking, well you can still play the games, so you're getting the story telling aspect, which is true. But what I'm missing is seeing stories play out over of the course of several seasons. And when I say several, I don't mean 2 or 3, I'm talking 7, 8, or more.

With MLB '14 SDS released the greatest feature I never knew I wanted, or needed, with Y2Y saves. And it wasn't until MLB '16 that I actually took advantage of this feature, and over the course of the next 5 installments of MLB The Show, I would get thru 13 seasons in one franchise. And it was glorious!

The stories that played out over those 13 seasons, I still vividly remember. Like the Yankees never making the playoffs (sorry Yankee fans) to the drafting of a player named Juan Fabregas, who was switch hitting outfielder who wasn't the best in the field, had a noodle arm, but could hit. He was a C potential that eventually made it to B, and went from a late round draft pick to an All-Star and contender for the National League MVP in the span of 8 seasons. I watched as the Marlins went from bottom feeders to World Series Champions and a "rival' of my Cardinals for 3 years as we battled in the playoffs, twice in the NLCS with us each winning once. I watched players hit their 500th homeruns, earn their 1000th strikeout, and watched as rookies climbed the ranks from the stars of tomorrow to becoming the stars of today.

And all of this unfolded one game at a time, one pitch at a time over 13 glorious 162 game seasons, plus Spring Training, All-Star Games, and playoffs. Each game told a story that would be continued the next day. Each season told a story that would continue the next year. Each draft started the beginning of All-Star caliber career, and dare I say Hall of Fame career that would play out over time.

And now, all of that is gone, or at least extremely condensed. Its hard to watch stories unfold and enjoy the story telling when you know that at some point its going to end, unless of course you choose to stick with the current version. And while that is an option, I remember a time when it wasn't an either/or option. I could benefit from the newest updates and features all while continuing the stories being told on the field.

It was never a marketed feature of Y2Y saves, but it sure as hell was a feature... story telling thru gameplay. One pitch, one out, one inning, one game, one season at a time.
I finished 12 seasons with my Cubs that started with MLB14 on the PS3 and ended with MLB20. I remember taking a created prospect of Kris Bryant and he ended up getting to 500 homeruns by my 12 season. I was also kinda cool because I did win my first WS in in the 2016 season but it just happened to occur in the summer of 2015 real time. I sorely miss this feature as it was the most fun I've had on a video game.

Currently, I have no plans to purchase 24 as I'm pretty enthralled in a 1998 based franchise that I've kinda made more of a 90's baseball experience. I'm giving each team their real draft class moving forward (well, I'm gonna hit on the important player for each team) and just plan on racking up some seasons doing this. I love the way 23 plays and franchise continuity is the most important thing for me so without y2y they will not be getting my money on 24. This was never the case in the y2y era as I would buy them each year on launch.
Old 02-13-2024, 11:20 AM   #8
Pro

OVR: 5

For me the Y2Y saves meant I did not have to recreate the same historic players every year and had 3rd party historic rosters available.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »