Home

Ideas for an All-Cheaters Team

This is a discussion on Ideas for an All-Cheaters Team within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #41
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Ideas for an All-Cheaters Team

Here is my (admittedly biased) defense of Ortiz as briefly as I can:

What the skeptics say:

He wasn't a power hitter in Minnesota.

Wrong. He was always thought of as a developing power hitter in the minors as David Arias. He increased his HR numbers year after year and hit 18 his final minor league season in 450 ABs.

Taken from the back of the David Arias rookie card:

One of the most feared sluggers in all of minor-league baseball last season, David's 8 intentional walks ranked third among Single-A players. The Twins are looking for his potent bat to eventually inflict damage in the Metrodome.

He would eventually hit 18 HRs in 303 AB's and 20 HR's in 412 ABs in his final 2 seasons in Minnesota.

What about the year he hit 50 HRs?

So what? He hit 50 in his absolute prime. For a power hitter, 50 in your prime isn't anything crazy. Roger Maris hit 61 in 1961, remember?

He played with Manny, they both must have been doing them.

Really? Then why hasn't Ortiz tested positive for ANYTHING and Manny failed multiple tests?

He's 38. He shouldn't be hitting this well.

Why not? There have been numerous examples of players hitting for avg. late in their careers and it's not like he's still hitting 40+ HRs. He's lucky if he hits 30 this year. Doesn't anyone remember a juiced Barry Bonds hitting 40+ HRs at 39?

A couple final points:

- Since his last couple of years in Minnesota, his body type has largely remained the same, and even in his prime, he wasn't muscular...just big.

- Why are all these players failing tests left and right over the years and Ortiz (who is tested constantly) hasn't? You mean to tell me, he just happens to have better drugs and people than a Barry Bonds or Alex Rodriguez?

- All of the players I listed in the first post have either outright failed drug tests, admitted to using PEDs, had a corked bat break open during game, or have been linked to PEDs by other players who were under legal oath to tell the truth.

Last edited by bfindeisen; 04-25-2014 at 04:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #42
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
2013 World Series
Boston team average: .169
David Ortiz' average: .688

38 years old? His average has INCREASED every year since he was 33 (in 2009, when he hit .238).

You can't tell me there's NOTHING fishy about that...
He had a wrist injury in 2009. Hitters generally take a while to come back from wrist injuries. That, and he was very out of shape during those years after the second WS title. After 2009, he had a rude awakening and came to spring training (I believe 2011) having lost a ton of weight. Considering that, I don't think it's entirely unbelievable he improved after that.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #43
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwshark9
I think you need to make room for George Brett...the infamous pine tar bat
The Royals protested that and the decision was actually overruled/reversed.
Quote:
MacPhail ruled that Brett had not violated the spirit of the rules nor deliberately "altered [the bat] to improve the distance factor."
So you could only add in George if you're including jerks who get too much sun from playing golf.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #44
Pro

bfindeisen's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
The Royals protested that and the decision was actually overruled/reversed. So you could only add in George if you're including jerks who get too much sun from playing golf.
Hahaha!

I actually did consider George Brett, but I decided not to include him because I was already stocked at 3B pretty heavily and, as you mentioned, I really didn't think it was blatant "cheating". Bottom line, I don't consider George Brett to be a cheat in any way, so he doesn't belong here.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:07 PM   #45
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
Nettles got caught using a corked bat...I believe it was actually "corked" with super bouncy balls, lol
Ah, I do recall that now.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2014, 08:35 PM   #46
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfindeisen
So since I have been waiting for the PS4 version to be released, I've had a lot of downtime to think about the way I am going to play The Show when I get it. After the whole Michael Pineda pine-tar scandal last night, it occurred to me it might be interesting to create an All-Cheater team in game. When I started to think about it, I found that I could field a pretty cool team that would be fun to play with. Actually, at some positions there is too much talent. Here is my team breakdown thus far:

Catcher:

Benito Santiago
Paul LoDuca

1st Base:

Mark McGwire
Jason Giambi
Rafael Palmeiro

2nd Base:

Brian Roberts
Chuck Knoblauch
Randy Velarde

3rd Base:

Alex Rodriguez
Ken Caminiti
Graig Nettles

Shortstop:

Miguel Tejada
Jhonny Peralta

Left Field:

Barry Bonds
Ryan Braun
Albert Belle

Center Field:

Lenny Dykstra
Brady Anderson
Melky Cabrera

Right Field:

Sammy Sosa
Gary Sheffield
Nelson Cruz

Designated Hitter:

Jose Canseco
Manny Ramirez

Starting Pitchers:

Roger Clemens
Andy Pettitte
Kenny Rogers
Gaylord Perry
Kevin Brown
Bartolo Colon
Endinson Volquez
Michael Pineda

Relievers:

Eric Gagne
John Rocker
Mike Stanton
Jason Grimsley
Guillermo Mota
Jay Howell
Brendan Donnelly

Manager:

Pete Rose

Starting Lineups and Pitching Rotation below...any suggestions?
A fine idea and fine a team too. I might find room on the pitching staff for Joe Niekro and Rick Honeycutt myself though lol
#44Syracuse
Old 04-26-2014, 03:35 AM   #47
Rookie

The ultimate irony here is that a Patriots fan made this thread.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:02 AM   #48
Pro

OVR: 5

You lost all credibility when you put Michael Pineda in the middle of a bunch of steroid users. Seriously? All-Cheater team for using something most pitchers use at one point during the season and all players are ok with it... The only thing he did wrong was not hiding it well.

Based on your common sense. Jon Lester and Clay Buchholz should be in this list for the same reason as Pineda.

You also lost a ton of credibility when you put Manny and A-Rod on that list, but magically missed DAVID ORTIZ on that list...who by the way should be starting at DH.

Ortiz was in the 2003 list where A-Rod, Manny, and Sammy Sosa were...yes that also was the Year Ortiz magically became a star for the Red Sox.

Oh he was also supposed to get back at us with the details...but the coward hasn't said anything since then.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »