Home

Are you having trouble deciding who to start a franchise with? Think No More!

This is a discussion on Are you having trouble deciding who to start a franchise with? Think No More! within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:57 PM   #1
Rookie

jakeywakey911's Arena

OVR: 2
Are you having trouble deciding who to start a franchise with? Think No More!

I figured we could start a little thread about different techniques or ways each of us decide how we go about deciding what team to run with in franchise mode, why you choose them, what you like about them, and other ways for people that may be having a hard time deciding who to use, we could help them out with some ideas on deciding who to use and why.

Every year it seems people come on her asking who to start one with due to whether they have to many favorite teams or don't have a favorite team at all, figured we'd could compile ways to start a franchise for those that need help. I am the same way, I am a Dodger fan, but they're overpowered in MLB really I don't have a truly favorite team, so one of my favorite ways to pick a team is go based on the rankings of the MLB stadiums in 2014.

Here's a great article ranking each stadium with a sweet photo of each one from lowest to highest rankings wise. It's a fun way to pick which team because then each home game you got a beautiful stadium to be mesmerized by each time you play and with this years new stadiums being rebuilt from the ground up there's lots to see. You can flip through the stadiums and read more about each too. Hope this could help those in need of figuring out who to run with in franchise mode.

http://athlonsports.com/mlb/ranking-...ballparks-2014
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #2
Rookie

wolfpack23's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Are you having trouble deciding who to start a franchise with? Think No More!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeywakey911
I figured we could start a little thread about different techniques or ways each of us decide how we go about deciding what team to run with in franchise mode, why you choose them, what you like about them, and other ways for people that may be having a hard time deciding who to use, we could help them out with some ideas on deciding who to use and why.

Every year it seems people come on her asking who to start one with due to whether they have to many favorite teams or don't have a favorite team at all, figured we'd could compile ways to start a franchise for those that need help. I am the same way, I am a Dodger fan, but they're overpowered in MLB really I don't have a truly favorite team, so one of my favorite ways to pick a team is go based on the rankings of the MLB stadiums in 2014.

Here's a great article ranking each stadium with a sweet photo of each one from lowest to highest rankings wise. It's a fun way to pick which team because then each home game you got a beautiful stadium to be mesmerized by each time you play and with this years new stadiums being rebuilt from the ground up there's lots to see. You can flip through the stadiums and read more about each too. Hope this could help those in need of figuring out who to run with in franchise mode.

http://athlonsports.com/mlb/ranking-...ballparks-2014
I am a die-hard Oakland fan but like a rebuilding project at the same time. Oakland no longer qualifies as a rebuilding franchise (not complaining one bit). I counter that by still playing as the green and gold but doing a fantasy draft with the OSFM rosters. I know that Oakland doesn't have the nicest stadium to play in but I grew up going to games there so it gives me that sentimental value.

So to answer your thread I would say that if you don't mind what team you play with than definitely look at stadiums and choose your favorite since you will be playing 81 games there. However, if you are like me and want to play with their team but you want to add your own flair than look into a fantasy draft.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:07 PM   #3
Rookie

jakeywakey911's Arena

Re: Are you having trouble deciding who to start a franchise with? Think No More!

Thansk for a the reply and I have a franchise started with them haha. I love the rebuilding projects!
Old 05-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #4
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

I always pick a team that differs from the previous year, to keep it fresh. I used Toronto last year so they are ruled out. Other than that, here's my list.

1st. I cross out any of the teams in my favorite team's division. I don't think I could enjoy a franchise where I have to beat up on my Astros ALL THE TIME.

2nd. I have to pick a team whose stadium I like. Extra bonus points if I've been to the stadium in real life. I'm going to be playing a lot of game in this stadium so it needs to be enjoyable. Unfortunately, all the teams in the NL Central get thrown out because St. Louis and Pittsburgh have such messed up night time stadiums. Otherwise, I'd really would consider CIN and CHI. If this gets patched before I start, they might be back in the mix.

3rd. I don't want a team that has too powerful of a lineup or rotation. I'm looking at you San Fran, Washington, etc. I love those stadiums, uniforms, and players, but I feel I could win the series this year without any additions.

4th. A team with a decent future and movable parts. More specifically a team that's up and coming, but will not win the World Series with the current roster they have. Diamondbacks and the Rockies come to mind.

5th. Enemy teams get thrown out. CWS, TEX, STL, see ya!

6th. Iconic teams seem to make for a more interesting franchise.

6th. I consider the city. No joke. Would I ever live there? How well do they support their baseball team?

7th. No teams that won over 90 games last season.

8th. Do I want AL or NL?

That's kind of what I go off of. This year I have it narrowed down to the Royals, Orioles, and Twins. I'll make my decision here in the near future. Hope that helps OP.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo

Last edited by BaylorBearBryant; 05-12-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
Rookie

aldon_47's Arena

I saw it mentioned a few times about the stadiums, and thats a great point. I would also add that the team you pick has uniforms that are pleasing to your eyes. You're gonna be looking at them a lot, might as well enjoy them!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Rookie

eaw913's Arena

OVR: 1

I pick one team from every division and start my franchise. It's a 6 team franchise but I do that to see which teams I play with the most or ones I'm drawn to. This year for some reason I really got attached to the Royals so I've been playing every game. Made some moves and now I'm 11-5 and #1 in the AL Central. Gotta keep it up.

So far the Tigers have caused me some trouble but the White Sox, Twins and Indians are a breeze.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
MVP

woody2goody's Arena

OVR: 5

I always revert back to my favourite team every 2-3 years, but in between I usually do one year rebuilding and one with a decent team.

It has to have a good stadium for a start, and there aren't any MLB teams I hate so that's a plus.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
MVP

geisterhome's Arena

OVR: 44

Rebuilding takes too much time for me, I need team that could be successful (chance to make it to the postseason and maybe even a tiny outside chance to make it to the WS) in year one already but isn't one of the big favorites either. I want to be challenged over the whole season.
And please not too many old players, my motivation always takes a hit as soon as I see some of my good players regressing, at least there should be some young talent to even it out lol... Ideas?

-Glad to be an Operation Sports Member!-

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »