Home

going with the pitch?

This is a discussion on going with the pitch? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 2
going with the pitch?

So I never thought about this but in the guide it talks about how a inside pitch you should swing at earler and a out side pitch latter. Does any one try to do that? How do you go about doing it? I have never really tried to go with the pitches as when hitting you don't have much time to hit and in a spelt second it is hard to pick up the pitch and try to weight a split second longer on a outside pitch and a spilt second earlier on a outside pitch. This is probly why I am not the best hitter and why I get jammed and pop up to many pitches. What is a good way to get better at this?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: going with the pitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
So I never thought about this but in the guide it talks about how a inside pitch you should swing at earler and a out side pitch latter. Does any one try to do that? How do you go about doing it? I have never really tried to go with the pitches as when hitting you don't have much time to hit and in a spelt second it is hard to pick up the pitch and try to weight a split second longer on a outside pitch and a spilt second earlier on a outside pitch. This is probly why I am not the best hitter and why I get jammed and pop up to many pitches. What is a good way to get better at this?
I do this all the time with left handed hitters when the opposition shifts. I swing a little late so I can drive the ball down the third base line. Usually results in an easy double.

If you want to practice, check out the Bat Control Training in the Batting Practice. Just enter Practice from the Mini Modes screen and choose Batting Practice. Once you select your batter and opposing pitcher, pause and select Change Mode. Choose Bat Control and that will give you what you want. The objective is to hit the ball into the designated region.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

No offense but I thought this was common sense.

You just have to practice and do what works for you. I have my own little method on what I want to do given the situation and hitter I am using.

Sometimes I try to turn on the heat, sometimes I just focus on staying on the ball and trying to go up the middle and sometimes I wait back long as possible to either hit middle away fastballs or any offspeed pitches. If you can't hit to opposite field then you are doing yourself a disfavor. It allows you to see the ball longer and deeper, which gives you more time to recognize the pitch.

I have noticed when I look to turn on an inside fastball and the fastball is middle away, I can still react accordingly and be late enough to drive it to opposite field. Of course when looking for an inside fastball and you get any type of breaking ball or changeup you'll look silly, but that is just the risk you have to take.

My advice to beginners is to look for middle away pitches and learn to hit to opposite field. Try not to use a team like Toronto that only has pull hitters, because it will be even harder to use this strategy. Seattle, St. Louis, and Boston have a lot of balanced hitters so it'd work well with them.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:19 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
No offense but I thought this was common sense.

You just have to practice and do what works for you. I have my own little method on what I want to do given the situation and hitter I am using.

Sometimes I try to turn on the heat, sometimes I just focus on staying on the ball and trying to go up the middle and sometimes I wait back long as possible to either hit middle away fastballs or any offspeed pitches. If you can't hit to opposite field then you are doing yourself a disfavor. It allows you to see the ball longer and deeper, which gives you more time to recognize the pitch.

I have noticed when I look to turn on an inside fastball and the fastball is middle away, I can still react accordingly and be late enough to drive it to opposite field. Of course when looking for an inside fastball and you get any type of breaking ball or changeup you'll look silly, but that is just the risk you have to take.

My advice to beginners is to look for middle away pitches and learn to hit to opposite field. Try not to use a team like Toronto that only has pull hitters, because it will be even harder to use this strategy. Seattle, St. Louis, and Boston have a lot of balanced hitters so it'd work well with them.

While yeah I guess it is common sense but I have alrease just tried to have good timing no matter where the pitch is and never really tried to swing latter on outside or earler on inside pitches and that is probly why I am not the best hitter has I normal play on allstar but with sliders to make it easyer to hit. The problem is that if I try to swing latter I then tend to swing to late or if I try to swing earlier I tend to swing to early. I may try the practice mode bat control but I don't now how much that will help has it tells you if a pitch is going to be outside or inside on that. When you play a real game and don't now if a pitch is going to be inside or outside how do you react and decide to swing latter or not at the same time? When you now were the pitch is going to be like in practice mode it is a lot easyer has you know right away to weight back on a pitch or not.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:06 AM   #5
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

For me it's not really something I decide to do it's just something that happens on certain pitches. In my experience when you start thinking at the plate you're asking for trouble.

I pretty much just see ball hit ball, I will be more patient with two strikes by sitting back for a split second longer to make sure it's a strike which results in going the way a bit more. The only time I try to pull the ball is when I'm ahead in the count 3-1 etc.. Now I will turn on pitches in other counts but it's just reacting to the pitch not because I'm trying to pull it or go the other way.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 03:19 AM   #6
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaBoomer
I do this all the time with left handed hitters when the opposition shifts. I swing a little late so I can drive the ball down the third base line. Usually results in an easy double.

If you want to practice, check out the Bat Control Training in the Batting Practice. Just enter Practice from the Mini Modes screen and choose Batting Practice. Once you select your batter and opposing pitcher, pause and select Change Mode. Choose Bat Control and that will give you what you want. The objective is to hit the ball into the designated region.
IMO, as a LH hitter there's nothing better than going the opposite way.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock
Old 05-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp
IMO, as a LH hitter there's nothing better than going the opposite way.

...cough... Yankee Stadium ...cough...

Lol

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
While yeah I guess it is common sense but I have alrease just tried to have good timing no matter where the pitch is and never really tried to swing latter on outside or earler on inside pitches and that is probly why I am not the best hitter has I normal play on allstar but with sliders to make it easyer to hit. The problem is that if I try to swing latter I then tend to swing to late or if I try to swing earlier I tend to swing to early. I may try the practice mode bat control but I don't now how much that will help has it tells you if a pitch is going to be outside or inside on that. When you play a real game and don't now if a pitch is going to be inside or outside how do you react and decide to swing latter or not at the same time? When you now were the pitch is going to be like in practice mode it is a lot easyer has you know right away to weight back on a pitch or not.
Well good timing is dependent on pitch speed and pitch location. You can't swing the same on a 95 mph pitch outside as you do inside and get the same timing results. They'll be different.

I think I know what you are saying though.

And I just practiced enough to where my reflexes and recognition are good enough to adjust mid pitch. It isn't always perfect, but I mentioned my approaches above. Basically you can't sit on every pitch and every location. At best, you can foul off the pitch you aren't looking for until you get your pitch.

My advice is learning and getting used to seeing the ball deeper into the zone and hitting to opposite field. Yeah sometimes you'll get jammed (don't swing unless you have 2 strikes on inside fastballs), but you have to try and foul off those pitches. You can't do this the other way (look inside and react to offspeed) or you'll swing and miss.

Last edited by cardinalbird5; 05-23-2014 at 06:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »