Home

PS4 Player Lock Question - How do you run the bases?

This is a discussion on PS4 Player Lock Question - How do you run the bases? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
PS4 Player Lock Question - How do you run the bases?

First of all, I really like the player lock feature in MLB 14 The Show. For a busy dad of four, this is perfect for me. I can play about 4 games a night in about one hour once the kids are asleep for the night and I have a little time for myself.
My problem is I still don't understand how to run the bases effectively, especially when hitting a double and my player all of a sudden jams the brakes at first. Also, I can never score from second because my player stops at third. I know I'm doing something wrong but any help would be appreciated.
Sorry if I posted something that has already been addressed. I googled first with no luck. Went to shownation, and I cannot even create a thread over there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: PS4 Player Lock Question - How do you run the bases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter92
First of all, I really like the player lock feature in MLB 14 The Show. For a busy dad of four, this is perfect for me. I can play about 4 games a night in about one hour once the kids are asleep for the night and I have a little time for myself.
My problem is I still don't understand how to run the bases effectively, especially when hitting a double and my player all of a sudden jams the brakes at first. Also, I can never score from second because my player stops at third. I know I'm doing something wrong but any help would be appreciated.
Sorry if I posted something that has already been addressed. I googled first with no luck. Went to shownation, and I cannot even create a thread over there.
If you're playing with the default controls, you use the Left stick either Up/Down, or Left/Right.

You'll see on the little diamond in the bottom left corner where you're directing your runner. The line will light up green to show which base he's currently headed for. As long as you keep holding the L stick to advance forward, your line will light up to the next base when you get close the one your currently headed for. (does that make sense?). If you stop, turn around, or slow down too much the line will turn red.

So if you're heading for 1st and you keep it held, when you get close to the bag the line will extend up to 2nd. If you ease up on the stick (not let it go) you will notice the line recede. You can press the right stick in different directions you start a slide if you need to as well.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Well, the first thing to know is that Player Lock functions the exact same as Road To The Show. If' you've played that, you know what to expect. If not...

Which basrunning setup are you using? If it's analog, make sure to hold the left stick up for as long as you want to run full speed. Once you let off it, your player will stop at the next base he reaches (sliding if it's going to be a close play).

Once you're on the bases and the CPU batter is hitting, it's generally best to let the runner move automatically on contact at first. In a force out situation you'll either see him take off running (ground ball, fly ball on 2 outs), go halfway and stop (fly ball less than 2 outs) or freeze (line drive less than 2 outs). After one of those happens, then take control and advance as far as you can, or retreat if the ball is caught. It's easy to screw up and get doubled off on a fly ball if you try to move the player before he stops, that why it's better to just let the stop happen on its own.

The CPU will also tag up on a base when appropriate automatically (2nd or 3rd, fly ball less than 2 outs), and you can send him as soon as the ball is caught to complete the sac fly.

These same things apply to the buttons baserunning mode, but I'm not nearly as familiar with it.

Last edited by bcruise; 05-23-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Rookie

I have never played RTTS, I'm a play a season guy. Don't mess with Franchise budgets, drafts, etc. Just like to play the game.
As far as what baserunning mode I use. I would say it's default. I don't mess with what the game comes with on first run.
Sounds like good advice. If I'm understanding, I should just push the left stick in the base direction I want to go to?
This is what I was doing but while rounding first, the camera angle switches and I would let go to adjust to what the diamond was showing me to do, but my player would just stop. Does that make sense.
Anyway, just to be clear. If my player splits the gap and going for extra bases, can I just push the L stick up until I'm close to 2nd base? or 3rd base for that matter?
If I'm at 2nd and trying to score, do I do the same and push the L stick up until he's on his way home?
Old 05-23-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
I have never played RTTS, I'm a play a season guy. Don't mess with Franchise budgets, drafts, etc. Just like to play the game.
As far as what baserunning mode I use. I would say it's default. I don't mess with what the game comes with on first run.
Sounds like good advice. If I'm understanding, I should just push the left stick in the base direction I want to go to?
This is what I was doing but while rounding first, the camera angle switches and I would let go to adjust to what the diamond was showing me to do, but my player would just stop. Does that make sense.
Anyway, just to be clear. If my player splits the gap and going for extra bases, can I just push the L stick up until I'm close to 2nd base? or 3rd base for that matter?
If I'm at 2nd and trying to score, do I do the same and push the L stick up until he's on his way home?
Yeah, as soon as you let go of the stick you stop. That's why I use Up/Down, because it doesn't invert or change when you round the bases.

So yeah, if you want to run to second or third just keep holding till you get there. You get let off of the stick a little bit when you get close to make sure you stop at the bag. Sometimes if you don't let off until you reach the base, your runner will round the corner and take a few steps before stopping.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #6
Rookie

Thanks a lot for the help. I can't wait to try it tonight. I have failed to advance bases because of this. Even still I really love "Player Lock" feature and since I had never played RTTS, I never knew about it. Regardless, I don't like RTTS concept because my busy life give me little time to play and I sure don't want to spend it playing AA ball in minor league fields when I have the gorgeous cathedrals in the game. Thanks again.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #7
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

You can also hit L1 while running to look at what the base coach is yelling or signaling at you, and you can hold R1 to look at the ball while you are running.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »