Home

Get rid of the non-chalant animations

This is a discussion on Get rid of the non-chalant animations within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #9
MVP

Kaiser Wilhelm's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Get rid of the non-chalant animations

Now to me, the nonchalant animations should not trigger with any pre-loading.

Here is how, in my mind, a grounder to the outfield should play out.

1) Reaction to the ball (reaction rating)

2) Fielding the ball (fielding rating) modified by how much I pre-load the throw. A bad guy with poor fielding will miss the ball, or field it poorly when pre-loading while a guy like Ichiro in his prime will scoop and gun. The fielding animation should be determined by the preloading.

3) The throw. I'd say a combination of fielding rating and throw power should dictate a proper crow hop. Lower ratings don't make for a sloppier, but not necessarily slower crow hop.

Something that is slightly related, I'd like to see there be more risk to running in on a ball. The reason these animations are in the game is because that is how the ball "should" be fielded, but the fact I have zero input on whether to play conservative or aggressively based on the situation is bullocks. The RNG should determine whether or not I succeed instead of whether or not I can do something.
If anybody is interested in a "spiritual successor to the socom franchise, check out this thread.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0

I think the simplest way to fix this is correlate the animation to the preloaded throw strength. If I hold it down for full power, then haul the ball in quickly. That's how I currently do it anyways. When there are no runners on & a ball goes to the outfield, I barely press the right stick & throw it in.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:31 PM   #11
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
These animations should be user induced. If you are holding down the button for a hard throw or sprinting in the outfield an animation such as this should never be seen.

There also needs to be a way to definitively sprint or run harder while running the bases. If there is going to be a bang-bang play I want to be able to control the runner chugging up the line. If I dribble one back to the pitcher's mound I may not wish to risk injury in trying to haul *** to first base.

Regardless, more user control is needed in this series. Sliding on the PS4 version is an absolute joke. I would also like to see user tags be implemented for more advanced users.
This x 10!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2014, 02:30 AM   #12
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojugend
While we're at it, can we get rid of the canned animation of the baseman reaching down to make the tag even when there is no runner headed toward his base?

Or when there are 2 outs and an infielder catches a linedrive he goes in this animation where he is preparing to see if there's a runner to throw out somewhere as if it is less than 2 outs.
Shouldn't happen. I put this in my wishlist every year, hopefully they get to it next year
Old 06-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #13
Rookie

MannTooth24's Arena

I just got The Show a couple days ago and I encountered many of these animations last night and got so annoyed. This needs to be fixed ASAP. The SS should not field the ball (at him or in the hole) and take his time on almost every throw, especially when I'm holding the throw button in before the ball is fielded. That should be an indicator that he needs to field the ball and get rid of it quickly. Not field it nonchalantly, tap the ball in the glove, and in slow motion step towards first to toss it over. It cost me a few base hits on what should have been routine 6-3 ground outs.

The infield throwing in general doesn't feel smooth at points. If I am holding the base button down as the ball is fielded, the fielder should immediately throw the ball. I feel like sometimes I need to press/hold the button a couple times before they throw it, especially when trying to turn a quick double play. Sometimes it is smooth, but other times the throws don't flow how I feel like it should.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #14
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Speaking of user control, I never wanted to start a thread for this so I didn't know where to best put it... but we need a "hover" button for the outfield. It's too much "stop and go" and they currently have your player automatically lock into catch formation. It would be nicer if we could get within the catching region, then begin to hover around there (back toward the wall, feet underneath you). It doesn't need to be a slow crawl hover, but quick small steps would be nice. That way you're not re-directing left and right.

I'm also personally in favor of a catch button options, but baby steps is all for now.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 06-05-2014, 09:40 AM   #15
Banned

DemurOnion's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
Visually, 2015 needs to be the year of animations/player locomotion in general, player models, and I'm sure some of you think this is silly but, real-life jersey fabric/cloth. I'd love to see the jersey actually moving, bunching up, hanging off the body like it does in real life, with great texturing. It would add a ton to the visuals.
So many have posted helpful photos and I really hope lighting and grass as well as all the above come together next year.

If you dizzy up all these players and make them real life and then continue putting them onto a field that looks like it was cut from the PS2 era now with 3D grass well.... does not mix well imo and dates this game terribly. Coors looks okay at best.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #16
Pro

Mrmagoo's Arena

You know animation wise, I don't even know where to start. Ppl always get their undies in an uproar if someone brings up comeback code around here, now I'm saying it's a comeback code, but to me I don't see a whole lot of difference when it comes to some of these animations. Guess what I'm saying is, it just seems it's a way to control the game in certain ways. More user control... Please!!!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »