Home

Guess pitch woes, using timing hitting

This is a discussion on Guess pitch woes, using timing hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2014, 01:20 AM   #1
MVP

OVR: 3
Guess pitch woes, using timing hitting

Guess pitch with timing hitting doesn't seem to do much of anything. I started really paying attention a few games ago because it felt off, and sure enough it seems the boost you get is hardly even noticable.

Before going further, yes I fully realize it should not automatically mean success, but just wanted to see what other people are seeing.

Last few games I've had roughly a dozen times where I guess right on hittable pitches that catch a large portion of the zone, including some with both location and type, and have only gotten a few hits. My timing isn't always perfect, but usually it's pretty good.

I don't know, like I say, it just seems way off with not enough reward.

I tried "No Feedback" which supposedly has the most reward, and while it's tough to always tell if you're guessing right it too felt off.

Right now my theory is that they nerfed timing hitting to the point where it effected guess pitch as well, and yes they clearly nerfed timing hitting, but again just wanted to see what others are seeing.

Last edited by RandyBass; 06-22-2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Corrections
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Guess pitch woes, using timing hitting

I've noticed this as well. I use the No Feedback system. I only use Guess Pitch maybe once or twice per game, and I would venture a guess that I'm hitting about .250 with it. I usually just foul the pitch off.

Watch me play video games
Old 06-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #3
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Timing hitting is probably the culprit. The random PCI is likely the reason why you're not hitting well with Guess Pitch.
Old 06-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger21
Timing hitting is probably the culprit. The random PCI is likely the reason why you're not hitting well with Guess Pitch.
Tried Zone Hitting last night, it was like I was playing another game entirely.

First off, sliders made a huge difference. With Timing Hitting I had all the sliders jacked up to give me a boost. First game with Zone, Brett Gardner leadoff HR... Okay not a big deal, still seemed like it was a bit overpowered though... Next batter, Beltran, 450 foot jack, lol. Okay, sliders actually have a significant impact with Zone Hitting.

Second, hit variety was noticeably different with Zone Hitting, as in just a few innings I was seeing a lot more variety in my hit types: flares, choppers, etc.

I didn't play long enough to see if Guess Pitch worked better with Zone Hitting, but I definitely liked was I was seeing and think I'll make the switch.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
MVP

Only played a few games, but Guess Pitch with Zone Hitting seems to be working out. I opted for No Feedback and had a few instances where it felt right.

Also, it's crazy how much more hit variety there is with Zone compared to Timing. I'm seeing stuff I never even saw before. Just need to readjust my sliders now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBass
Tried Zone Hitting last night, it was like I was playing another game entirely.

First off, sliders made a huge difference. With Timing Hitting I had all the sliders jacked up to give me a boost. First game with Zone, Brett Gardner leadoff HR... Okay not a big deal, still seemed like it was a bit overpowered though... Next batter, Beltran, 450 foot jack, lol. Okay, sliders actually have a significant impact with Zone Hitting.

Second, hit variety was noticeably different with Zone Hitting, as in just a few innings I was seeing a lot more variety in my hit types: flares, choppers, etc.

I didn't play long enough to see if Guess Pitch worked better with Zone Hitting, but I definitely liked was I was seeing and think I'll make the switch.
I switched to Zone a few weeks ago and it has made a huge difference. I can't see myself going back to timing hitting. I'll have to adjust the sliders (which I generally never touch) because my RttS player is hitting too well.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #7
MVP

SwedishTouch76's Arena

OVR: 0

What is zone hitting? U have to pic a location with ls?
Old 06-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishTouch76
What is zone hitting? U have to pic a location with ls?
You have to target the pitch with the left stick. If the pitch is high, press up. If the pitch is low, press down, etc.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »