Home

Can't Draw a Walk to Save My Life (RTTS)

This is a discussion on Can't Draw a Walk to Save My Life (RTTS) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-05-2014, 01:44 AM   #9
Rookie

allhailben7's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Can't Draw a Walk to Save My Life (RTTS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
If your difficulty is set at All-star and you are in AA in RTTS, then the game actually uses Veteran as the difficulty. At AA, you play one difficulty level lower than your setting, and at MLB, you play one level higher in RTTS. This has been documented in the in-game strategy guide.

And CPU pitchers at Veteran tend to give you easier pitches to hit before you go too deep in count, so that may be the biggest reason why you never draw walk, even though your discipline might be good enough.

If walks are important to you, I would play at least at All-star level (i.e., use HoF while you are in AA). All-star and above, CPU pitchers throw you a bit more junk which you need to lay off, so that makes it easier (and more realistic) for base on balls.

Thanks for the info. Anyway, I've been called up and have now walked 7 times in 6 games. I thought the difference between AA and AAA difficulty-wise would be that the balls are more borderline pitches in AAA and the difference between balls in and out of the zone would be more pronounced in AA. My hitting has plummeted, though, as you might expect.
Old 07-05-2014, 02:05 AM   #10
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Well on AS...and you are at AA means you are actually playing on Veteran. On Veteran, they basically won't walk you. Once you get to AS and higher you will get more walks. I also recommend modifying the sliders (pitch consistency, pitch strike frequency, and pitch control). If you are patient, you should be able to draw 40-50 walks a season by just discipline alone. Plate discipline and power will lead to walks.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
Rookie

crewe22's Arena

I agree with the AA assessment. However, Ive played on veteran and was able to draw 70+ walks each season on veteran and as many as 90.
All sliders are default except the following;
CPU Pitcher control - 2
CPU Pitcher consistency - 0
CPU Pitcher strike frequency - 0

As I increased levels, Ive increased the sliders slightly.
It doesn't increase wild pitches or throw hitting off kilter as suggested in the slider screen, at least for me it didn't.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #12
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewe22
I agree with the AA assessment. However, Ive played on veteran and was able to draw 70+ walks each season on veteran and as many as 90.
All sliders are default except the following;
CPU Pitcher control - 2
CPU Pitcher consistency - 0
CPU Pitcher strike frequency - 0

As I increased levels, Ive increased the sliders slightly.
It doesn't increase wild pitches or throw hitting off kilter as suggested in the slider screen, at least for me it didn't.
I'm not fond of tweaking sliders unless that's the only way to change things for the better... but the reason why you could walk so much on Veteran may have been because your player was a power threat. CPU basically pitches around a power hitter. I play often with low-power hitters, and while being selective and walking is possible, it often makes more sense to go after a hittable pitch in the strike zone, so I definitely draw less walk with them.
Old 07-05-2014, 04:14 PM   #13
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Plus you drastically changed the sliders. I play on legend with 4 pitcher control and consistency. Its very challenging. ...lots of pitches on the black with fewer mistakes but walks are still possible. You pretty much need sliders to make opposing pitchers human or else they'll never make mistakes.

Youtube
Old 07-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
Rookie

crewe22's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Plus you drastically changed the sliders. I play on legend with 4 pitcher control and consistency. Its very challenging. ...lots of pitches on the black with fewer mistakes but walks are still possible. You pretty much need sliders to make opposing pitchers human or else they'll never make mistakes.
Nah, no power hitter for me.

I find the same results when I played on veteran and all star.
Works really well for me.
I played dynamic for a while and got up to legend but got owned so
I dropped back to veteran then upped to all star and I'll keep going, hopefully.
What works for you fellas may be too much for me right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »