Home

Stopping the big inning

This is a discussion on Stopping the big inning within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #1
Rookie

saucerset's Arena

OVR: 0
Stopping the big inning

It seems like more and more I am seeing one inning that is just unstoppable when I'm pitching. Today I had only given up 1 run through 7 innings. My pitcher was rolling through the lineup but his energy bar was starting to get a bit low. I put someone up in the bullpen and then everything went haywire. 4 runs and 3 pitchers later I am now down in the 8th inning. They were hitting stuff that was even outside the strike zone. I have tried the mound visit and changing multiple pitchers, but it seems like nothing works for just that inning. Does anyone have any tips to avoid the big inning? Or at least to try and bring it under more control?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56
Re: Stopping the big inning

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucerset
It seems like more and more I am seeing one inning that is just unstoppable when I'm pitching. Today I had only given up 1 run through 7 innings. My pitcher was rolling through the lineup but his energy bar was starting to get a bit low. I put someone up in the bullpen and then everything went haywire. 4 runs and 3 pitchers later I am now down in the 8th inning. They were hitting stuff that was even outside the strike zone. I have tried the mound visit and changing multiple pitchers, but it seems like nothing works for just that inning. Does anyone have any tips to avoid the big inning? Or at least to try and bring it under more control?

Don't ask Matt Garza his advice!!!

For me....I mound visit.....replace as necessary and hope for the best.
Sometimes....it just is not going to go your way.
....and depending on the team(quality of pitchers really....I don't know what moves you've made)....it can be really difficult.

I tend to also use my pitchers who have the best combination of control and break.

M.K.
Knight165
Old 07-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
Pro

HadlerT's Arena

OVR: 25

I believe it's all about strategy. I don't think this has ever been discussed, but maybe the game is coded where if you leave your starter in too long or put in the wrong reliever than the games are scripted to give a big inning? Idk, it actually sounds stupid as I say it, but who knows?
Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadlerT
I believe it's all about strategy. I don't think this has ever been discussed, but maybe the game is coded where if you leave your starter in too long or put in the wrong reliever than the games are scripted to give a big inning? Idk, it actually sounds stupid as I say it, but who knows?

Fatigue is a factor - pitches lose velocity and probably movement as well as location as a pitcher hits tired and eventually exhausted status.

Not to mention the confidence meters. As a pitcher gets pushed around, his confidence falls (both in pitches and overall), tending to cause things to continue to spiral out of control. It works both ways (i.e. you can do the same to the CPU pitchers), but I think it's overdone and it's slanted against the user (even with 0 consistency for the CPU, the user's pitchers will lose confidence much more sharply and regain confidence much more slowly than the CPU pitchers).

L/R match-ups can matter too, but that's more considering the splits of the hitters since pitchers don't have splits for some reason.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:32 AM   #5
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...6&postcount=17
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadlerT
I don't think that's it. I gave Kuroda a good 3-0 lead in a solid third inning. Kuroda isn't a monster but I can pitch to contact and get some solid outings from him. The very next inning he gives up 5 runs.

I'm shortly after the ASB and going through a long stretch with no breaks. I couldn't afford to go to my BP so early. I stretch out 1 more inning. The only guy with enough stamina to push out solid innings was Phelps. Dude has been trash. I usually only put him in games I know I can't come back.

Down 2 in the 5th I give him the nod. He throws 4 solid innings for me and I come out with the W 6-5.

IMO the game is dynamic. At times you seem untouchable, and at times you just get out batted. Sometimes I throw a perfect pitch, but sometimes the CPU just has a perfect swing. Vice versa. Ever hit a homer on a pitch you KNOW you shouldn't have?

That's why there's 162 games.

Actually in the last week of the franchise, Gardner has hit two walk off HRs. He had no pop all year. Now he goes long twice in one week? If it was the CPU if be irate. But because it's me I'm fist pumping the W into my record.

Another thing I notice. Do you ever intentionally walk? Encarnacion has been rocking me all year. He's in the top 3 in BA, HR, RBI. Game 1 of a 3 set he basically wins the game for the Jays. I intentionally walk him the rest of the series and the Jays can't produce. He is like there rally man (for me) when I'm playing.

I will be implementing more intentionals as I progress to stop some of those big innings.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
MVP

OVR: 12

Also, I know a lot of people don't like to use the warm up pitches, but it's a great way to build confidence on pitches you know you're going to need in x situation.

Watch what pitches you throw to who. You can't throw a low confidence pitch in a hitters count to a superstar.

If you're using the format to where the CPU calls the pitch, pay attention to what you throw. It's easy to just hit the button, catcher calls, you throw and you're not really paying attention to that confidence meter of the pitch. HR/XBH and the rally starts.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #8
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Like eF...it's just the way it goes I believe...and......I think it's perception a lot of the time.
Remember the horrid outing where you are totally pissed off....while putting the times that the SP or pen put the fire out on the back burner.
It's easy to do that.

Last night in my second game of the evening....I had Niese going for the Mets.

He was pitching well....but the Mets couldn't make a 3-0 lead hold...and it was tied in the 8th. I brought in Ike Davis for a defensive sub in the 6th or 7th on a double switch(Niese was spent) and he wound up hitting a Grand Slam his next turn at bat.
Going into the ninth...with my pen depleted due to a long stretch and using 2 RP's already...I went with Edgin and the 7-3 lead. Seemed safe.
Edgin gave up a hit and 2 BB's...and I'm thinking....uh-oh...uh-OH!..here it comes!
Marte-Polanco and Cutch up with the bases loaded no outs.
Parnell(my CP....stop laughing) was out of the picture...he had pitched the previous two games...(and he recovers terribly slow) and is shaky.....he's really just my CP in name at this point...I go with who's hot

A mound visit.....Marte pops out......a fly out to short LF(no tag) for Polanco....I bring in Mejia and he K's Cutch to end it.

Ask me a week from now about it...I won't remember...but if Polanco singled and Cutch homered!.....stuck in your head.

Now also keep in mind that bad teams...will have a lot more sticking!

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »