Home

Finally got around to playing online

This is a discussion on Finally got around to playing online within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2014, 04:01 PM   #9
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Finally got around to playing online

I have the same problem. I play diamond kings and I tryto play online and playing against other people is horrible man I feel that there is also a lagg with the game. I hope that they are able to fix this soon or I guess for 15 becuase for me playing online brings more to it. I hope if it was possible to add a tab on diamond kings and the rest of the online to play your friends directly instead of timing it every time. I want them if possible to make the game as smooth online when your playing with someone else as smooth as fifa or any other games.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #10
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

So I played online some and the actual gameplay played out well, besides a few minor glitches. My major complaint is that the pitch speed is way too slow. I was too early on 99 mph fastballs. It seems like it gets slower and slower each year. There was no lag during pitching/batting and a few minor synching issues while running the bases but it never cost me an out once.

Youtube
Old 10-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
So I played online some and the actual gameplay played out well, besides a few minor glitches. My major complaint is that the pitch speed is way too slow. I was too early on 99 mph fastballs. It seems like it gets slower and slower each year. There was no lag during pitching/batting and a few minor synching issues while running the bases but it never cost me an out once.
So you have also seen the "Too Early" thing as well now, eh? It happens to me all the time playing Online. It is possible that it depends on the opponent, because I feel like it is more noticeable in some games more than others.

Some games I'm Early or Just Early on things, and others I am Too Early.

What I have found particularly annoying is offspeed pitches in games where I am Too Early on even the fastballs. You have to swing when the ball is basically in the catcher's mitt on a slider, curve or change for it to be Normal timing.

Had one of those games yesterday where I barely struck out but flied out, lined out, and grounded out hard all game, only to lose 3-1. Oh well, that happens I guess, lol. Maybe I need to be a team other than the Marlins if I want to hit more reliably, but I like using a wide variety of teams.
http://www.theshownation.com/boxscores/13652490

It was one of those idiots who also tried to bunt guys over from 2nd to home. Gotta love the cheese. It's so easy to defend.

And Hustlin, I don't know why you never agree with me on anything in this game. You've been playing at least as long as I have and we never can agree on what we see for some reason. At least cardinalbird I agree with on a regular basis. He seems to see the things I do when playing the game. You really don't find yourself early on swings like we do?

I do have my game set to Legend hitting and it seems like when I get into any game in Online Ranked, it is always on Legend. I don't know how or what player gets preference, but I've not seen it on a low difficulty yet. The PCI has been small enough to actually require skill in every game I've played in, which is nice. No more PCIs that take up the entire strike zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #12
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

I think part of the issue may be that you are simply too good a hitter in the game, to the extent that the online pitch speed is too slow compared to the way you play offline.

I play a ****load of this game and have improved so much over the past couple years and a lot of things that I found difficult before has gotten "just right" for me... offline I play on Legend and the pitch speed max now and that's where I hit most realistically (in terms of stats). But I don't think many guys would enjoy that sort of torture......

If you are well ahead of the curve, you probably need to accept that some aspects of the game becomes a bit easier than you'd like... because the game, especially online matches, to a good extend has to cater to the "average" players. Otherwise many people cannot share the enjoyment.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

I also find the tv I was using had a slow frame rate....Im now playing on one of those gaming tv's and can tell a huge difference. Plus when I go online it is just slower, especially DD. Its that it is just slower either but your players' bat speed has all increased. You see the ball at that certain location where you know you need to swing...now it seems like you have to wait even longer!

Youtube
Old 10-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #14
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

I am starting to think that the pitch speed is actually as slow as what is occurring on the pitching team's television. I am swinging at the ball once it gets 6 inches or so in front of the plate and it says "too early". It feels like I have to swing when the ball is right on the plate and no one has that kind of bat speed. My brain and hand coordination is so use to swinging at a ball when it gets so deep into the zone. Maybe I am crazy, but I wonder if there is a way to prove this wrong?

Also it feels like the balls final landing point is different from what is shown on the feedback. I think Mr Old Boy had a thread on this. Does anyone feel like this? This game is just inconsistent online. I 10 run rule a guy then he beats me next game by a few runs. I never really experienced this inconsistency the past 2 years. It also doesn't help that the power swing is useless and you have guys who check swing every pitch. They just center swing and if they notice it is a breaking ball or a bit low they check their swing.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #15
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
I am starting to think that the pitch speed is actually as slow as what is occurring on the pitching team's television. I am swinging at the ball once it gets 6 inches or so in front of the plate and it says "too early". It feels like I have to swing when the ball is right on the plate and no one has that kind of bat speed. My brain and hand coordination is so use to swinging at a ball when it gets so deep into the zone. Maybe I am crazy, but I wonder if there is a way to prove this wrong?

Also it feels like the balls final landing point is different from what is shown on the feedback. I think Mr Old Boy had a thread on this. Does anyone feel like this? This game is just inconsistent online. I 10 run rule a guy then he beats me next game by a few runs. I never really experienced this inconsistency the past 2 years. It also doesn't help that the power swing is useless and you have guys who check swing every pitch. They just center swing and if they notice it is a breaking ball or a bit low they check their swing.
In online games, the (timing-related) information you see on the swing feedback area I think is just messed up and doesn't reflect what really goes on in the game. In turn, I just go by what results in gameplay (if you pulled it was early, pushed then it was late, etc.) and don't trust what feedback says. Because of all the sync issues between both sides, what you see on your side of the game isn't always exactly the same as what the other side is seeing. You will find these issues more magnified when you play against opponents with less-than-desirable internet connection. (Some guys who play out of DR, etc., have such poor Internet connections that I sometimes cannot literally figure out what is going on on the field when I'm doing base running; no offense to them though...)

I actually found Power swing to be too useful (at the difficulty level of DD) to the extent that I use it rarely myself, because I don't necessarily enjoy seeing all these HRs deciding the game all the time. If I have a very well trained DD player with his PCI covering a huge chunk of strike zone, then I can simply be patient, wait for a pitch slightly higher than the center, and center swing with Power swing all the time and I'll basically slug away the opponent. Not very fun.

Check swing is definitely an issue. I don't know if it's intentional on the devs' part to reduce the excessive strikeouts that we tend to see from "average" online gamers, but IMO it's too easy to check. On one hand it is good in a sense that most gamers can generate some offense without striking out too much, but on the other hand it has become very hard to effectively use pitches out of the strike zone against decent online hitters; you have no choice but to pitch to contact, and that doesn't usually work in a mode like DD where many well-trained players have very high Contact & Power ratings.

Last edited by nomo17k; 10-25-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #16
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
In online games, the (timing-related) information you see on the swing feedback area I think is just messed up and doesn't reflect what really goes on in the game. In turn, I just go by what results in gameplay (if you pulled it was early, pushed then it was late, etc.) and don't trust what feedback says. Because of all the sync issues between both sides, what you see on your side of the game isn't always exactly the same as what the other side is seeing. You will find these issues more magnified when you play against opponents with less-than-desirable internet connection. (Some guys who play out of DR, etc., have such poor Internet connections that I sometimes cannot literally figure out what is going on on the field when I'm doing base running; no offense to them though...)

I actually found Power swing to be too useful (at the difficulty level of DD) to the extent that I use it rarely myself, because I don't necessarily enjoy seeing all these HRs deciding the game all the time. If I have a very well trained DD player with his PCI covering a huge chunk of strike zone, then I can simply be patient, wait for a pitch slightly higher than the center, and center swing with Power swing all the time and I'll basically slug away the opponent. Not very fun.

Check swing is definitely an issue. I don't know if it's intentional on the devs' part to reduce the excessive strikeouts that we tend to see from "average" online gamers, but IMO it's too easy to check. On one hand it is good in a sense that most gamers can generate some offense without striking out too much, but on the other hand it has become very hard to effectively use pitches out of the strike zone against decent online hitters; you have no choice but to pitch to contact, and that doesn't usually work in a mode like DD where many well-trained players have very high Contact & Power ratings.
I think it is the other way around. I think the hitting feedback is working, but the pitch speed you see is messed up or they just "opened" the timing even more. It says I am early or too early all game and I hit tons of line drives and homeruns foul. I believe the feedback. I just have to convince myself to swing when the ball is nearly past me. I really believe that the pitch speed might actually be what is on the pitching team's screen. It is like fielding too. You can't trust what you see while batting, but we know that the defensive team is the only in "real time" and seeing what exactly is going on. Maybe I am crazy or maybe I am looking for excuses, but until someone proves me wrong I'll go with that theory.

I like the effort to sync the game in order for there to be no lag; however I still 3-5 glitched out pitches a game and that was on par or less with the occasional lag pitches. The fielding isn't so bad, but it'd be nice to see it in real time on both sides too.

The check swinging is annoying more than anything. It seems like every check swing it is called a ball and they never go around. I swear some people I played are center swinging with contact and you leave 1 mistake....bam homerun.

I've literally had to get super creative in order to hope my opponent doesn't swing at a pitch on the black then I have to get lucky the umpire calls it a strike. I've also seen pitches thrown down the middle called a ball and pitches a foot outside called a strike. Is that intentional??

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »