Home

Pitchers release points.

This is a discussion on Pitchers release points. within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Pitchers release points.

Its represented in their per nines usually.

Id like to see this game to start adding perks or badges to players to make them more unique. Give Chris Gomez first pitch swinger badge and Neshek some type of nasty slider badge or some bonus I dk . Give certain hitters a fastball badge or breaking ball badge. I think PYS has alot of stuff like this.

As for this thread....ill say it again....the per nine attributes mean alot vs cpu so that's the best they can do. Maybe if they added a perk to downgrade right handed hitters vs Neshek?

Youtube
Old 11-09-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
Its represented in their per nines usually.

Id like to see this game to start adding perks or badges to players to make them more unique. Give Chris Gomez first pitch swinger badge and Neshek some type of nasty slider badge or some bonus I dk . Give certain hitters a fastball badge or breaking ball badge. I think PYS has alot of stuff like this.

As for this thread....ill say it again....the per nine attributes mean alot vs cpu so that's the best they can do. Maybe if they added a perk to downgrade right handed hitters vs Neshek?
Didn't some older 2K games have Inside edge that showed player tendencies which would show on how likely they are to swing or take pitches, to go after the first pitch, chase on two strikes, or what sort of pitch a pitcher usually throws? Did this actually change the AI or was it just for show? Maybe for next year SCEA could implement something like this.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

IRL release points are a critical part of hitting.

On The Show I make a concerted effort to pick up on the release point of any pitcher I am facing, so I can pick up the pitch better.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2014, 12:10 AM   #12
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayups
I was thinking

Maybe there could be a "eye" rating and a "delivery" rating that work with/against each other.

This way having a guy with a funky delivery / release point holds a little more weight.

I think the combination of Plate Vision and Plate Discipline as well as the Pitch Break attributes should in principle affect the aspect of the game we are talking about... but I personally feel they don't respond as differently to different pitch types as I feel they should. And I don't feel as wide a separation between CPU hitters in their ability to lay off (bad) pitches.

Another point is, I think much of what we call deception in pitch release is probably due to the difficulty of picking up different pitches coming out of hand, and given that no pitchers really tip their pitches in the game (their delivery is always consistent, unlike real-life pitchers), we could probably say that they are as deceptive as they can be, in terms of their delivery. And it's probably unrealistic for us to expect that the game will replicating "tipping" pitches based on slight difference in pitch delivery.

More likely way to incorporate deception is to make it harder to pick up different pitches right off the release point. Right now, it's not impossible (although still difficult and takes time) to distinguish different pitches right after the release (in part because 4SFB is REALLY straight in this game), but we could imagine the game making it slightly tougher to judge different pitches in their initial trajectories out of pitcher's hand.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #13
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9inchesbpel
Didn't some older 2K games have Inside edge that showed player tendencies which would show on how likely they are to swing or take pitches, to go after the first pitch, chase on two strikes, or what sort of pitch a pitcher usually throws? Did this actually change the AI or was it just for show? Maybe for next year SCEA could implement something like this.
Yeah and that was cool, but that isn't quite the same thing I am talking about. Those were derived from precise statistics and it showed you the percentages of when a pitcher would throw a certain pitch. It was cool, but I want something in the game to distinguish their tendencies (hitting, fielding, baserunning, and pitching) and characteristics other than a percentage. There were also passive skills, such as players hitting better during the summer or pitchers doing better in cooler weather or hitters hitting better at certain spots in the lineup. PYS had tons of these "special skills" and it was really cool. I'd be content with something like special skills or the 2k Insider thing. I just want something to dictate individual MLB players a bit more other than the basic Con/Pwr vs R/L and Pvis/Pdisc.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
Banned

Klayups's Arena

Good discussion guys, thanks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »