Home

Career/Seasonal Injuries

This is a discussion on Career/Seasonal Injuries within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Career/Seasonal Injuries

I must be the only one who doesn't have this problem. I've had multiple guys go down for 2+ months even with the injury slider set on 6 in my current season and I'm not out of April yet. This feels about right to me.

This past year there were just a ridiculous amount of injuries in baseball. But it's not like this is NFL where you see at least 2-3 minor and maybe 1 major injury per game.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:08 AM   #10
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

The post is about seasonal, lingering injuries that players may play through or never get over until the off season.

Or a major injury that can recur multiple times in a players career like chronic muscle fatigue, and weakened knee ligaments, concussions, etc.

I have no problem getting injuries, it's just that they don't mean as much as they should. There's no rehab assignment even needed for a disabled list player to get up to speed, they can just hop right back in the middle of a MLB lineup.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
Banned

I don't see that happening. Most players who play the video game understand there are injuries in sports, and will say yeah okay my guys out for a month and then when that month is over they expect him to be back pretty much as he was. They're not going to start accounting for simulated ligaments and say okay this guys knee is weak because he had this injury before in his career. We don't even have a main stream football game that does this, where such injuries are much more common.

And I disagree that the current system does not have meaningful injuries. Losing a staff ace of middle order position player can kill a season just as easily as it can in real life.

Last edited by therewillbechud; 12-30-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #12
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewillbechud
I don't see that happening. Most players who play the video game understand there are injuries in sports, and will say yeah okay my guys out for a month and then when that month is over they expect him to be back pretty much as he was. They're not going to start accounting for simulated ligaments and say okay this guys knee is weak because he had this injury before in his career. We don't even have a main stream football game that does this, where such injuries are much more common.

And I disagree that the current system does not have meaningful injuries. Losing a staff ace of middle order position player can kill a season just as easily as it can in real life.
Nba 2k does this. I would also love to see it. If a pitcher hurts his arm more likely to reinjure and lose velocity.

A leg injury results in loss of speed. Players could play through certain injuries at a risk of doing more damage and ratings and visuals would reflect it. A player with a sprained ankle would limp have reduced speed and reaction time.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
Nba 2k does this. I would also love to see it. If a pitcher hurts his arm more likely to reinjure and lose velocity.

A leg injury results in loss of speed. Players could play through certain injuries at a risk of doing more damage and ratings and visuals would reflect it. A player with a sprained ankle would limp have reduced speed and reaction time.
I'm all for realism, it'd be great if done correctly. More than likely though, knowing how these things work, you'd see Mike Trout on the AAA squad with a bruised shoulder for 18 months on his perpetual rehab assignment. They need to work on getting CPU roster management and trade logic down, and probably two dozen other things, rather than slightly fleshing out the injury system.

There's already far too many career ending injuries in this game, players retiring too early, progression issues, you name it. Lets get the ground work laid first, rather than just pushing for ultra realism because it sounds cool, or because the basketball game has it. It needs to work.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #14
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

My main dislike which needs to be improved on, is the complete randomization of the injury system in MLB The Show. It's as basic of a system as you can get, if you think back it's no different that it even was on the PS2 era.

There is not a player in any professional sport that is 100% healthy and energized, that doesn't mean they are even injured but it's just apart of life in that profession. Baseball is a marathon of all marathons, and sports like NHL and NBA have had a system similar to this in place for many years. FIFA's system is even a bit more elaborate, with allowing players to play through injuries with various subtle results, also allowing you to manage a players recovery more hands on. We can all agree that the system MLB The Show has is so obviously dated, and we should feel they need to have a way forward with it by now.

We can't continue settling on issues like this silently, just because they haven't yet addressed more issues that we need straightened. The art of introducing features like this is to provide us with the safest version of it possible, and continue to develop it into the future. Still having an outdated injury system from the PS2 era, shouldn't be accepted.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 01-03-2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #15
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewillbechud

Also, the only mainstream football game out is Madden. We don't wan't MLB The Show to start to become comparable to the MAdden franchise do we? That's even more reason for them to step up in this area, because every other major sports game does.

Also the last time I did play Madden, injuries would result in major regression for the next season but that was way back when PS2 was popular. MLB the Show by comparison, a pitcher can have shoulder damage, come back in the same season and it has no impact on his year or his career, and that's the kind of thing I see as unforgivable and ridiculous at this point.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-03-2015, 06:13 PM   #16
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

A dynamic injury regression system would be pretty awesome. I can understand the want and need for that over the course of a 162 game season, yet alone a career.

I can definitely dig something like that. As long as it is implemented really well.

In the meantime I get plenty of realistic injuries with my slider at 8. But I get where the OP is coming from. The want/need for a dynamic injury system that does not allow a severe injury like a blown out knee or a torn shoulder or an UCL in a pitchers elbow to just magically have no effect once they are off the DL.

I would go as far as to say I would love to see the requirement of minor league rehab assignments to get your players injury and energy back up to snuff coming off a severe injury.

There is a lot of possibilities. Let's see if this is an area of focus and development this console cycle.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »